Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Be warned people who still use standard router passwords

Post by Anthro »

I did something the past two days , I scanned remote IP's, for open ports - came to some router login screens - strangely enough out of the 250 open ports - I found people with the standard usernames and passwords still on their routers :roll:
I had one lady that left her
1.ID book on her FTP directory,
2.Her usernames for all her ftp directories + websites and emails +
3. Bank account numbers and pins 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O <<THIS WAS SCARY

Boys and girls of PCF - secure your stuff, because I am just a friendly reminder of what some script kiddie can do if he needs to get his /her daily fix.
1. I vote all the security experts of PCF recommend some tips / trick to secure your stuff
2. I vote I not be banned , because I warned you :)
This was not a "hugely complicating procedure - it was VERY easy
How secure are you ??? :twisted:
Last edited by Anthro on 18 Dec 2006, 11:09, edited 5 times in total.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

HAX!
kraven

Post by kraven »

what are these standard usernames and passwords? hehe :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
The Anime Society that\'ll influence the SA scene: http://www.genshiken.uct.ac.za
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

*removed*
Last edited by WiK1d on 18 Dec 2006, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Moar hax!
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
kraven

Post by kraven »

mwhahaha :twisted: :twisted: , but really, just change the bugger!
The Anime Society that\'ll influence the SA scene: http://www.genshiken.uct.ac.za
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Anthro »

I am not malicious, I sent mails to the respective owners - will se what they say in a moment ??/
Temporary Absence
PHR33K

Post by PHR33K »

You think thats bad.
I was sitting outside a "Computer Corporation" I fired up kismet and found a SSID that was "CC_(shopping center name)" - it was secured with WEP. So as always, before beginning to crack this, I decided to try my two favorite stupid keys: "12345" and "abcde". Well, first one didnt work, but abcde did.
So naturally, I phone yellow pages get the number for the company and phone them from a pre-payed sim card.

They were totally uninterested in the fact that I had just gained access to their network..... so what to do what do... sitting in the car park, laptop on lap, internet on laptop :D Of course what I did was email an entire list of their directory of folders - next time i went back they had changed the key, but it was still on wep... sigh some people dont learn.

I do not condone malicious intent but I dont like stupidity.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Anthro »

PHR33K wrote: I do not condone malicious intent but I dont like stupidity.
PM me link to that app . . . :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
o the stupidity is hectic - I believ that if you wnt to be safe you need the best equip, the longest keys, most suspicious net admin
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

There are a few legit web sites that will scan your ports (you have to enter your ip) and tell you if you are safe or not. I just recently organised ADSL at home, and the vulnerability was my biggest fear, luckily after installing spybot and the updates, all important ports were closed, and even organising a friend to try and hack me proved that I was safe from a casual hacker (I'm still worried about those clever asian people, professional hackers :( )
neon_chameleon wrote:

Im 22 next week and I cant commit to what Im going to eat for breakfast. I mean cereal is so boring but its quick, and eggs take forever to make and theres the toast to make sure you dont burn....
PHR33K

Post by PHR33K »

which app? kismet? kismet is an inactive wifi scanner, where as net-stumbler is an active one. Kismet is a linux tool. Its brilliant for finding wifi nodes with SSID broadcasting disabled.

For cracking wep, there are tons of them, both for windows and linux - so google it :D

my last few wpa keys were:

Code: Select all

S8(U2@F6#K2&C4@L0#G3*K4%I0$T7#S4@Y7$E6!D0(P1@

W7*B7(T5&Y1$M6!G6%M7(T0#D4!I1#B1*A8%S6(U2&C1@

P7%F0%V0*Y8&D3#V6(B4(H0$G7!P3&K1%L1%Y1$X1!J5^
I change them every sunday and every wednesday. I have mac filtering enabled.

The keys are generated using a quick program I wrote in C#.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

I could post some Stuff that would help people learn lots about security.

But unfortunately it's a bit hectic and can learn you more then what people would want you to know.

The best way to be secure is to know how to break security.

So mods i can send you a PM first before posting?
Dont wana be blamed for promoting hacking or cracking or what ever its called
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Anthropoid wrote:I am not malicious, I sent mails to the respective owners - will se what they say in a moment ??/
Just hope they don't get nasty with you....its kinda like randomly trying peoples front doors and just walking into houses....you're lucky if you don't get shot :?
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

NinjaTic wrote:There are a few legit web sites that will scan your ports (you have to enter your ip) and tell you if you are safe or not. I just recently organised ADSL at home, and the vulnerability was my biggest fear, luckily after installing spybot and the updates, all important ports were closed, and even organising a friend to try and hack me proved that I was safe from a casual hacker (I'm still worried about those clever asian people, professional hackers :( )
This being a really nice one
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Anthropoid wrote:I am not malicious, I sent mails to the respective owners - will se what they say in a moment ??/
Anthropoid wrote:
PHR33K wrote: I do not condone malicious intent but I dont like stupidity.
PM me link to that app . . . :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
o the stupidity is hectic - I believ that if you wnt to be safe you need the best equip, the longest keys, most suspicious net admin
That's not a good idea.
Its like you leaving your cell phone on your desk un attended and I come along take it off your desk
and then come back to you in lets say 2 days telling you I,ve got your cell phone and don't leave it there again.
You wont be impressed. You could actually take me to court for it.
So can the person you snoop around with.

I also think making people security wise is a good idea , but your method is just wrong.
Rather build a combined document around what you noticed and send it to them via e-mail
PHR33K

Post by PHR33K »

no. scare tactics always work best. people will always say "nah, its never gonna happen to me" they will never listen,
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Anthro »

removed
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

lancelot

Post by lancelot »

SBSP wrote:I could post some Stuff that would help people learn lots about security.

But unfortunately it's a bit hectic and can learn you more then what people would want you to know.

The best way to be secure is to know how to break security.

So mods i can send you a PM first before posting?
Dont wana be blamed for promoting hacking or cracking or what ever its called
You can PM me if you like.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I have mac filtering on my router (non wireless) with an auto drop of packets if pinged from an WAN (aka the internetz) source so it looks like its a dead end. It basically doesnt respond to ping commands from WAN sources.
Another hectic programe is 'cain and able' but it's so dodgey and I have not the foggiest on how to use it.

It's sooo stupid the wireless setups in the world-My mates neighbour in the UK has no password or WEP/WAP enabled so his ADSL is open to all.
But then again tis uncapped, so no worryz.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
atomwissenschaft

Post by atomwissenschaft »

Frozenfireside wrote: I have mac filtering on my router (non wireless) with an auto drop of packets if pinged from an WAN (aka the internetz) source so it looks like its a dead end. It basically doesnt respond to ping commands from WAN sources.
Another hectic programe is 'cain and able' but it's so dodgey and I have not the foggiest on how to use it.
Its scary how easy it is to spoof a mac address...So that alone wont keep you safe...
Frozenfireside wrote: It's sooo stupid the wireless setups in the world-My mates neighbour in the UK has no password or WEP/WAP enabled so his ADSL is open to all.
But then again tis uncapped, so no worryz.
Yes, what about spoofing out passwords and personal data...??!!

More points than you!
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Look I know how to get past MAC addresses and I do know how they work.
The point of the matter is to make access to your network as hard as possible. Security is a state of mind. Nothing is perfect at protecting you.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

MAC filtering and blocking WAN pings aren't going to protect you much. Use WPA encryption.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Oh and a friendly word of advice-If you want to connect to an airport terminal with internet connection they sometimes use MAC filtering to give access to peoples machines.
You can duplicate a MAC address in the network and then set your own I.P. and there will usually be no conflics and you should be able to get free internet.

This is illegal and I have read about this on the internet but not done this myself.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Oh god please I have had enough of WPA/WEP differences from Varsity.
Exams covered these alot. I am doing N+ with S+/servers/buisiness all rolled into one :P .

Yeah I will and I know WEP is not as good as WPA but is more popular in routers but WPA is becomming mainstream.

Oh noooo that reminds me-I go back to Varsity on monday.Oh well I was working during my hols so no biggie I guess.