RunX RSi vs RunX RSi TRD - worth it or not?

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
BT20V

RunX RSi vs RunX RSi TRD - worth it or not?

Post by BT20V »

As you guys know, a new RunX RSi TRD has now been released (200 Limited Units). Look at the Specs of the normal RSI vs RSI TRD...

What do you think...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
RunX RSi
Recommended retail price: R 204 500

Exterior
-16" alloy wheels
-Front and roof spoilers
-Colour-coded mirror housings, door handles and side protection mouldings

Comfort and convenience
-Leather seat facings.
-Leather and aluminium gear knob
-Automatic climate control
-In-dash 6-CD changer
-Multi-function trip information display
-Optitron instruments
-Front and rear electric windows
-Electrically operated exterior rear view mirrors
-Map reading lamps

Drivetrain
-The revolutionary VVTL-i (Variable Valve Timing and Lift – intelligent) engine constantly varies the timing and lift of the intake and exhaust valves to optimise power and fuel efficiency. The VVTL-i engine generates 141kW at 7800r/min

RunX RSi TRD
Recommended retail price: R 222 300

Exterior
-17" TRD alloy wheels
-Lowered suspension with TRD Sportivo shock absorbers and springs
-Front and roof spoilers
-Colour-coded mirror housings, door handles and side protection mouldings

Comfort and convenience
-Dark grey leather seat facings with red stitching
-TRD leather and carbon fibre gear knob
-TRD custom mat set
-Automatic climate control
-In-dash 6-CD changer
-Multi-function trip information display
-Optitron instruments
-Front and rear electric windows
-Electrically operated exterior rear view mirrors
-Map reading lamps

Drivetrain
-The revolutionary VVTL-i (Variable Valve Timing and Lift – intelligent) engine constantly varies the timing and lift of the intake and exhaust valves to optimise power and fuel efficiency. The VVTL-i engine generates 141kW at 7800r/min

RunX RSI Normal

RunX RSI TRD

Now looking at the cars, their prices, and the diffirences, what do you think :?:
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Personally I don't think that a look upgrade is worth 18k
Especially if the car is still ugly afterwards.

If only they could put that engine in a good looking car.
Pr0PheT

Post by Pr0PheT »

What a load of rubbish, 18 grand and it doesnt look any better, rather take it to sportech and make it look better for less.
hated by many - loved by few - respected by all
mav3rick

Post by mav3rick »

well, at least you'll have one of 200 cars in SA ... and still keep your waranty and maintence plan.

But then aren't the new shape Toyota's coming out next year anyway?
AMD64 3800+ 939 Venice | Foxconn 6150K8MA-8KRS | 2x512MB Corsair DDR400 | 250GB WD SATA2 | Liteon SHM-165P6S | AOpen 450W PSU | BenQ FP71G+ LCD
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

mav3rick wrote:well, at least you'll have one of 200 cars in SA ... and still keep your waranty and maintence plan.

I really hope so, because the current shape is a balls-up IMHO
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Kronos wrote:
mav3rick wrote:well, at least you'll have one of 200 cars in SA ... and still keep your waranty and maintence plan.

I really hope so, because the current shape is a balls-up IMHO
The suspension is a balls up as well, or so I hear from owners of the car.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
mav3rick

Post by mav3rick »

Well, it does look alot better than the current shape.

But I guess its a matter of taste as well. If you're a Golf fan, then no Toyota will ever look good. Same with Astra drivers.

But like you said, Toyota's have damn good engines.
AMD64 3800+ 939 Venice | Foxconn 6150K8MA-8KRS | 2x512MB Corsair DDR400 | 250GB WD SATA2 | Liteon SHM-165P6S | AOpen 450W PSU | BenQ FP71G+ LCD
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Well, IMHO, the Golf, and Astra also look crap.
But that's me.
mav3rick

Post by mav3rick »

Kronos wrote:Well, IMHO, the Golf, and Astra also look crap.
But that's me.
Really? So what car do you like?
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

mav3rick

Post by mav3rick »

Ah! An Alfa man... :)

A rare breed indeed :wink:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

there rare because there engines need 5 min to warm up and if you dont then say good bye to the engine :wink: <just kidding Kronos i know the older models suffered from that problem>
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

This TRD is crap, as Kronos said, so much extra for what, wheels and suspension? They should have upped the power as well, then MAYBE it would be worth the extra... The RSi is a crap car, the RSi TRD is a crap car with uprated wheels and suspension. :lol:
kraven

Post by kraven »

Kronos wrote:Image
Yes indeed that is one beauty of a car
The Anime Society that\'ll influence the SA scene: http://www.genshiken.uct.ac.za
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I agree, Alfa Romeo's are beautifully designed, a friend of mine just bought a GT and it's stunning! Their only downfall to me is their engine reliability, especially in this country with our climate (their intake systems are very fragile), and also their interiors have never really been to my liking... Other than that they are beautiful cars.
BT20V

Post by BT20V »

Cool, so I'm not the only one that thinks that both RunX RSi's are a waste of money :lol:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

BT20V wrote:Cool, so I'm not the only one that thinks that both RunX RSi's are a waste of money :lol:
For sure... The last proper performance RSI is the 1600 20V from the previous model.
Pr0PheT

Post by Pr0PheT »

ryanrich wrote:
BT20V wrote:Cool, so I'm not the only one that thinks that both RunX RSi's are a waste of money :lol:
For sure... The last proper performance RSI is the 1600 20V from the previous model.
I couldnt agree more, this new one is terrible, one really needs to "rape" it through every gear all the way up to the red to make it feel sporty.

R220 k for a car like that is just a waste of money. Theres so many better cars out there for far less.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Pr0PheT wrote:
ryanrich wrote:
I couldnt agree more, this new one is terrible, one really needs to "rape" it through every gear all the way up to the red to make it feel sporty.

R220 k for a car like that is just a waste of money. Theres so many better cars out there for far less.
You're both smoking some good stuff.

This model, thanks to it's VVTL-i Engine, is far sportier than the old version, although, sadly, very ugly.

Proph, What's wrong with pushing it to the red line?
Even the Honda S2000 has to be pushed to almost 9000 rpm to get peak power.

2000rpm is for old people.

@Ryan, the RunX RXI would kill the old 1600 20V
Kickass777

Post by Kickass777 »

Personaly.... I think its stupid... some money making scheme..

I just bought the toyota runx rxi and theres no difference in the Power just looks different...

I mean even 16" Tyres cost more than the 17"

Its STUPID
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Kronos wrote:@Ryan, the RunX RXI would kill the old 1600 20V
Actually not entirely Mr. Kronos, I know a lot about the cars and have driven both many a time... Until recently the so called "141kW" RunX RSi wasn't even 141kW. We had a 1600 20V RSi on the same dyno as RunX and the 1600's WHP reading was higher. RunX didn't even come tuned properly from the factory! The 1600 20V produces 115kW and with some tuning, exhaust and filter produces quite a bit more. It also does 0-100 in under 8 seconds standard, something the RunX RSi struggles to achieve. Looking at that, even if the RunX is slightly faster, it's not a well engineered car at all, the 1600 20V was very well engineered, that's what I was saying.

Anyway, bottom line, they're pretty even, and in some circumstances the 1600 is faster.

We tested my old GTI 4 (110kW) against new and old RunX RSi's with me driving one and then the other to rule out any driver differences, and on all occasions the GTI whipped the RunX sadly.

There was the same story with the old Civic 1600 DOHC V-TEC versus the RunX. The V-TEC produces 118kW, and also obliterates the RunX RSi...

I'm afraid they should change the name of the RunX to a WalkX, oh torqueless wonder... :lol:
Last edited by ryanrich on 06 Dec 2006, 01:52, edited 2 times in total.
Pr0PheT

Post by Pr0PheT »

Kronos wrote:
Proph, What's wrong with pushing it to the red line?
Even the Honda S2000 has to be pushed to almost 9000 rpm to get peak power.

2000rpm is for old people.

@Ryan, the RunX RXI would kill the old 1600 20V
Theres nothing wrong with pushing it to the redline, but if u need to push it all the way to the red before u even start feeling the power its so pointless. The power delivery isnt smooth. Exact same thing with the Honda S2000, the old model atleast, theres such a nice power band between 6500 and 9000 but before that it feels so dead. Also I guess its hard to judge Ive only driven either of the two in JHB with highveld climate which may be causing my perception.

But other performance engines such as the ones found in the M3 and GT3 also need to revved all the way to the red but the difference being that the power and torque curves overlap eachother perfectly and there have smoother power delivery even at highveld altitude.

I know its a bit extreme to be taking those 2 cars as examples but there are also other cars that have same engine characteristics in the same price range as the RXI.
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

I suppose they make it like that so that you can drive it normally when you want to, and when need be, just kick it up a notch by redlining it.
I want something good to die for, to make it beautifull to live - Queens of the Stone Age-Go with the flow
Prishen

Post by Prishen »

AH yes people at the end of the day it is still a ''toyota'' (didnt even want to use capital letters)
they make crap cars period
if you just want a car to get you from point a to b then get a toyota if you anything else look away!
the new corolla is to launch late next year early 2008 there is no hatch back version and YES it still looks crap
VoodooProphetII

Post by VoodooProphetII »

Yup it's still a Toyota, and being someone that believe that a car is not an investment or a status simbol, I'll stick to Toyota, as I know I'll get more kilometers out of Toyota with less maintenance then any other car.

I have a RunX RS160, so I won't comment on the looks, as it would be bias to do so. And yes ryanrich I know you'll make mince out of my RunX with some Golf or Polo, or your Audi....and good for you man, good for you.