Project: 777 (Finally a small update 18-04-2008)

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

OK, Im stuck with 2 window designs...

1Image

2Image

Im probably going to be cutting tomorrow and getting the perspex aswel!

Also stuck on how to attatch the perspex to the case. Which is the best way? I can only think of is screwing it in or using double sided tape...Any sugesstions?
Judas

Post by Judas »

I'm leaning towards design two there, I just think it looks better :D. As for attaching perspex to the case - screws would probably be safer, it might be embarrassing if the tape gives and your window falls out at a LAN or something!

Ha ha, like the new avatar man :lol:
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Judas wrote:I'm leaning towards design two there, I just think it looks better . As for attaching perspex to the case - screws would probably be safer, it might be embarrassing if the tape gives and your window falls out at a LAN or something!

Ha ha, like the new avatar man

Me too. Im just thinking that too many people have the same kinda design as my 1st one...Im probably gonna go with the screws to fix it to the chassis. I can imagine me showing off my newly modded case and then the perspex falls out. Wont look like the best done mod in the world! Im just worrying when I drill the holes the perspex might crack...

I see you also got a nice new avvie, its looking like the evil Judas, I can see the words coming out of your mouth...Must change to Windows Vista... Dont hide it bro, I know you want to :wink: :lol:

Anyway, dont spam my thread :wink:

Shot for the advice and interest in my mod. Keep the comments coming. Im lost without this sight!
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

And BTW, you said your case doesn't support 120mm fans? Forgive me, but isn't this a mod? Wink Mod the case and MAKE it support 120mm fans Wink
Hey DAE i did didnt i. hehehe
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Wow that was confusing! What you mean?

I looked today and Im sure I would be able to mod the fan support from 80mm to 120mm but theres no space in my chassis for a 120mm fan, only on the top...
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

And on the side panel. *Wink wink, nudge nudge
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

I34z1k wrote:And on the side panel. *Wink wink, nudge nudge

Good idea. Then I would probably only have to get 1 fan and mount it on the perspex...
I'll look at that on the window plan and post a pic of it later today
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

4 x 120mm :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
johanlast

120mm Grills

Post by johanlast »

Hi. I was just wondering if any of you guys and girls know where I can buy fan grills for 120mm fans. I can get the fans, not a problem but getting nice grills seems to be impossible in South Africa. Loads of 80mm grills. I really don't want to change my design.

Any info regarding this will be appreciated. Also people who want nice mods check this wenbsite out. (www.mnpctech.com). Very cool stuff and high quality
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Ahoy johanlast. Welcome to the forum!

Im also searching for fan grills, still cant even find a decent 80mm grill for my mod and plans have changed so now Im in the same situation as you, looking for 120mm fans. Maybe post a new topic in the modding thread or check out the Suppliers of modding stuff thread. There lots of links there

PM me if you find any grills, much appreciated
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

More planning stages:

Im gonna go with 2 80mm fans that Im gonna mount on the window because I can get grills and having 2x 120mm fans mounted on the window will look weird!

I've changed some hardware that Im gonna get aswel:
silv3rback wrote: ImageChassis - bought

Image2x 80mm Fans (front and back panel placement)

Image2x LED Fans (window placement)

Image2x Fan Grills - still to buy

Image2xATA Cables - bought

ImageSATA Cable - must get a SATA drive 1st :wink:

ImageRAM Heatsink - still to buy

ImagePCI Fan - still to buy

ImageSystem Monitor Panel - still to buy

ImageFan Controller - black - still to buy

ImageCPU Cooler - still to buy

Image2xVantec SP12CCFL-UV Spectrum CCFL Tube - UV

Image2x DC to AC Inverter for CCFL

Image2x Cable Sleeving Kit - bought 1

ImageMolex Connecter Kit - still to buy

As for what my window is gonna look like...me and my fiancee sat and starred at the case and came up with the final design:

Im gonna mount the 2x80mm fans on the perspex window and add the 2 grills to it!
Im going to mount the CCFL's on the floor and roof of the case

Im HOPEFULLY gonna start cutting tomorrow and get perspex. Im hoping my pay comes through soon so I can put another order in for my hardware
Last edited by WAJeff on 26 Nov 2006, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

One question: Will I have to get as many inverters as CCLF's I get?

Something most k@k just came up, Im thinking of changing what fan controller I get again...aaaaaahhhhhh the decisions!
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

You can get invertors that will power 2 CCFL's. I haven't seen more than that. But i suppose you could get some sort of industril strength version.
WAJeff

Project: Newbie (QUESTION 27-11-2006)

Post by WAJeff »

OK, heres the problem: My dad is not keen on letting me use the jigsaw. He says it wont work if I wanna cut through the panel. Can anyone give me a aprox price on how much blades will cost and any particular blades I must use. I've seen people use Jigsaws before and dont seem to have a problem! This is really irritating coz I wanna get it done!
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Ok, i have used a Jigsaw... You are going to need the following:

1 : Fine Tooth Blade (that cuts through metal)

2 : Drill

3 : File

4 : Trimming

Ok, so 1st off, you mark your panel and cover with masking tape.

You then Drill a Hole in the corner of the cut out, Put the Jigsaw in and cut out your shape, you might need to drill more holes in all the diff corners when ur changing angles.

Once you are done cutting out the hole, it will be EXTREMELY rough and you will have little pieces of metal that stick out.... Your panel might also be slightly bent

So get a Hammer/Pliers and put it on a flat surface and remove all the little pieces that stick out and also try to get the panel as flat as possible

Take the file and file at an angle towards the inside of the window from the outside... just so that the sharp bits are angled in and you dont cut yourself.

Next : go to a Motor Spares place and get some Trimming that they use on cars... doesnt matter if it bends or not..

Cut each piece at a 45 degree angle so that it fits in together and looks like one piece

and then put it on Side by side.

Once you are happy with that, mount your perspex inside your window and ur all done.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

I finally got my Dad to let me use the jigsaw!

I used:

Drill with a cutting disk to make holes for the jigsaw

Jigsaw with a metal cutting blade (only used 1 :D )

ImageWork bench

This is what the side panel looked like after cutting, sanding and cleaning off the dust particles

And this is what its gonna look like once I've attatched the perspex and mounted the fan. Just imagine UV CCFL's glowing and two LED fans spinning!

Just for those who are interested this is what I still have to buy to complete my whole rig:

AOpen 450W PSU - R370
Vantec NXP-205 Nexus Fan Controller Black - 126
Hynix DDR400 512MB RAM - R513
RAM heatsink - R57
Vantex CSK-80UV Cable Sleeving Kit Rad - R38
Intel Pentium 4 531 3.0GHz 1024K HT - R786
Vantex Molex Connector Kit UV Red - R26
2x Vantec UV CCFL - R114
Asonic 7.1" Sound Card - R186
2x Antec TriCool LED 80mm Fan - R170
2x Vantec 80mm Spectrum Clear UV Fan - R66
2x DC to AC Inverter for CCFL - R78
Vantec Spectrum Dual PCI Fan Card - R115

Total: R2645.00
Judas

Post by Judas »

Very nice, looks like you did a good job with the cutting there :D
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Thanks Judas. It took me just under two hours to cut that damn hole in the panel, I went so slowly. It worked out in the end though, I had to do minimal sanding which was great! Im just bummed that I got so much hardware to get still. Modding is really fun but its kinda expensive. Oh well, hopefully I get the permanent position I applied for the other day and then I'll mod like mad...trying to squeeze in time for the fiancee at the same time :wink:
Judas

Post by Judas »

Yeah it does look like fun, I'd probably screw it up though - power tools and I have a bad history! I'm more worried about my PC's performance than looks though anyway... And unfortunately I can't afford both :(

What job are you applying for? Sounds like you're going to end up like me, spending (at least) half your salary on your PC every month :D. This month I bought a CPU, thinking of getting another HDD next month.

Anyways, good luck with the job man :D
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Shot for the interest in my mod bro! Keep posting!
Maybe if you start now you'll be the 1st linux kiddy to have a modded case :lol: :wink:
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Judas wrote:Yeah it does look like fun, I'd probably screw it up though - power tools and I have a bad history! I'm more worried about my PC's performance than looks though anyway... And unfortunately I can't afford both

What job are you applying for? Sounds like you're going to end up like me, spending (at least) half your salary on your PC every month . This month I bought a CPU, thinking of getting another HDD next month.

Anyways, good luck with the job man
I also thought that. Once you get the hang of it its quite fun...except for the noise though. That just sucks! Im just doing the mod as a challenge and it gives me something to do know that Im out of school!
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Just in case people missed the last update on page 3:

I came up with the 'design' for the two fans that Im gonna mount on the perspex...

Im gonna put the fans on the inside of the panel

with the fan grill on the outside

The_Master

Post by The_Master »

Hey, it's looking great so far man.
I wouldn't have the patience to wait so long before being able to appreciate my hard work though.
Good luck and keep up the hard work. :lol:
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I wish I had the time/skill for these mods. So far this looks great, all the best, and keep us "no time/skill to mod" guys updated. :D
Port Elizabeth Wireless User Group
www.pewifi.co.za
abs

Post by abs »

Looking good silv3rback, have u sleeved your psu already this was what mine lookes like after all the hours.

If you going to sleeve your psu check my thread there is a couple of pointers you could benefit from.

http://www.pcformat.co.za/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=20481

Cheers :wink: