Which HDD to use for which OS

Any hardware related topics go here.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Which HDD to use for which OS

Post by Azgard »

My question doesn't seem to fit into any section nicely, so it will just have to do fine here.

I'm getting new parts today so am going to have to reinstall Windows and Ubuntu so trying to get the optimal configuration.

I've currently got a Western Digital SATA I 200GB and a Hitachi SATA II 250GB.

I was thinking of having Windows on one drive and then Ubuntu on the other, so then if one drive fails I can easily still have access to my system. But the problem with this is I'm going to be using each OS pretty often so would like them both to work as fast as possible. Meaning I should really have them both on one drive, separate partitions obviously.

So what do you guys think? Windows and Ubuntu on the Hitachi, or Windows on one and Ubuntu on the other?
novio

Post by novio »

I think you should just install the OSs on the 200GB and leave the larger one for your slave media drive... Thats wat Ive done.
Space modulatORRRR!!!!
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

The thing is, the larger harddrive is SATA II, while this doesn't make much different at the moment, I have tested that harddrive and it is quite a lot faster than the 200 GB. So I would like to boot off the faster one.
Judas

Post by Judas »

It's a matter of preference really - personally, I would install both operating systems on the SATA II drive for that extra bit of speed. Just remember to install Windows before installing Ubuntu, or else Windows will overwrite GRUB with its own boot loader...
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

I'm with Judas on this one.....
druedd

Post by druedd »

Personal choice, preferrably load both on 1 and keep one drive for media

Regards