RSS feed for the forum?

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
Kiran

RSS feed for the forum?

Post by Kiran »

Howzit guys,

A cool idea just popped into mind.

How lekker would it be if there was an RSS feed for the "Last 15 technical messages" and "Last 15 Chillout...relax messages?"

Anybody using Firefox will know of "Live Bookmarks." I have BBC, M&G, wikihow and others installed as Live Bookmarks.

If PCF had an RSS feed, it could be set-up as a Live Bookmark and Bob's your uncle, it would be easy to check out what's going on just by checking the "headlines" as it where.

Anybody else reckon it's a lekker idea?

Admin? Cameron?

KJ
What is this "Microsoft" that you speak of? Washing powder? Coffee? Correction fluid? I can't figure it out. Anyone else know?
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

That's a brilliant idea. I use RSS feeds from a lot of forums and sites and use them when opening the site.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah i think it's a great idea.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

Howzit,

Just checking up. So, Admin, Cameron, have you given the RSS idea any thought?

It would be pretty neat.
What is this "Microsoft" that you speak of? Washing powder? Coffee? Correction fluid? I can't figure it out. Anyone else know?
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

yes it would be a great idea. those of us with G15's can then see the rss feed on our LCD screens
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

It is an excellent idea and I'm working on it right now.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Cool idea. :-)
eraser

Post by eraser »

I like! :D
jee

Post by jee »

Is it possible just to see the tech section in the RSS feed? or can one choose which section to feed? I have several feeds and love them.. tho not for the forum :P
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

OOOO Rss feed... Cant wait. 8O :D :D :D
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Okay guys, got something working. Add "http://www.pcformat.co.za/rss_forums.php" to your RSS reader, this will show you the last 10 forum posts.

You can increase the amount of topics watched by adding the following

http://www.pcformat.co.za/rss_forums.php?count=15

You can add a few commands to this to change what you watch but I'll add that info to a page about using RSS.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Brilliant!! Works perfectly, thanks cameron!

EDIT: The only thing, I couldn't add the feed by clicking on the orange button in the address bar, had to do it manually.
jee

Post by jee »

for those of you who do not know what RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is - its is a family of web feed formats.

RSS is a simple XML-based system that allows users to subscribe to their favorite websites. Using RSS, webmasters can put their content into a standardized format, which can be viewed and organized through RSS-aware software or automatically conveyed as new content on another website.

You can use programs known as feed readers or aggregators to check a list of feeds and display any updated articles. It is common to find web feeds on major websites and many smaller ones. Some websites let people choose between RSS or Atom formatted web feeds; others offer only RSS or only Atom. Or use Firefox ;)

Great for news sites, or when you follow a blog or artist or photographer and want to know when new things are uploaded.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
qace

Post by qace »

Just tested it ,works great.
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

Hi guys,

Is this working for everybody else?

I added http://www.pcformat.co.za/rss_forums.php as a Live Bookmark and it does not load.

Is it just me?
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Works for me, try using http://www.pcformat.co.za/rss_forums.php?count=15 (with the amount od threads at the end).

And I had to load it maunally, the orange icon didn't load it properly.
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

Friggs wrote:Works for me, try using http://www.pcformat.co.za/rss_forums.php?count=15 (with the amount od threads at the end).

And I had to load it maunally, the orange icon didn't load it properly.
Yay, it works when I add the "count" part! :D I wonder why though? :?

Anyway, did you notice that the RSS feed doesn't really match the actual "Last... messages" column on the left? Is there a slight delay or something? It isn't a big issue, but its nice to know these things.

KJ 8)
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

I did notice.... seems a bit behind what's really happening but have no clue why.
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

Eureka! I got it :!:

The RSS list is "upside down!" Check it out, on this site, the column on the left has the most recent threads at the top of the list, while the RSS feed has it at the bottom!

LOL! I think Cameron should invert the RSS feed list so as to conform to the standards we are used to.

KJ 8)
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

Sorry for the double post, but had to point out one more thing.

As for the delay, it can be eliminated by right-clicking your Live Bookmark and selecting reload.

I'm not sure how RSS works on the server side, but maybe the "auto-refresh rate" (if something like that exists (it seems to exist for the BBC feed)) should be increased.

KJ 8)
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

LOL! you're right, it's in reverse order! well spotted dude.
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

Hey guys, instead of starting another thread, what other RSS feeds are you subscribed to? any recommendations? I use Netvibes and subscribe to:

Digg
Facebook (gives my basic info)
Explosm.net
Dilbert
Garfield
Crtl+Alt+Delete
Penny Arcade
Eat Liver
IOL News
M&G
News24
MyADSL
PCF
Bit-Tech
Gamespot
Phoronix
The Fridge
Tectonic.co.za
Slashdot
The inquirer
Tom's Hardware

There are a few other ones not worth mentioning...