Building a core2duo on a tight budget

Any hardware related topics go here.
Citi-surfer

Building a core2duo on a tight budget

Post by Citi-surfer »

Hi guys i don't know if anybody did this yet, but i was desperate for a new core2duo setup but of course like most people the budget is always tight.
But amazingly with a bit of googling i built a core2 for under R2500.
I hear you asking how that is possible?
Fortunately i have always owned Intels (not a fan boy but that is how it just worked out). So i bought myself an E6300 proccy for R1991 and an Asus p5pe-vm motherboard for R450 used my old ddr400 and 6600Gt and i have a core2duo system up and running which gives me time to save up for a better board,ram and Gpu. Even you AMD converts can see with minimum cash the beauty of Core 2.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

I'm planning on doing the same thing! R2500 is pretty impressive. I gotta Asus PT880 Ultra mobo today, cost me R750, I just got some RAM to get,the CPU and a 400W PSU!
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Re: Building a core2duo on a tight budget

Post by wizardofid »

Citi-surfer wrote:Hi guys i don't know if anybody did this yet, but i was desperate for a new core2duo setup but of course like most people the budget is always tight.
Fortunately i have always owned Intels (not a fan boy but that is how it just worked out). So i bought myself an E6300 proccy for R1991 and an Asus p5pe-vm motherboard for R450 used my old ddr400 and 6600Gt and i have a core2duo system up and running which gives me time to save up for a better board,ram and Gpu. Even you AMD converts can see with minimum cash the beauty of Core 2.
With all those bottles necks it will still perform like crap even with the nice CPU.
Citi-surfer

Post by Citi-surfer »

Yes of course it isn't going at top speed but imagine the jump in performance from using a 540j proccy also if i had R10 000 to throw at my computer i would have owned a better system by now. Also i now own the chip so i can get the other bits slowly to get to the top.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Citi-surfer wrote:Hi guys i don't know if anybody did this yet, but i was desperate for a new core2duo setup but of course like most people the budget is always tight.
Where you get that CPU from? Its on offer at Sybaritic for R1853
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

wizardofid wrote:With all those bottles necks it will still perform like crap even with the nice CPU.
What bottlenecks? Motherboards make very little difference to the overall speed of a pc, at most a few percent. Some mobo's overclock better than others, but that's a different kettle of fish...mmm....fish. And DDR2 isn't much faster than DDR1. The only thing that may be considered slow is the gfx card, but hey, it's faster than mine. More than enough for q3a - the only game worth playing. :D
Citi-surfer

Post by Citi-surfer »

Got it at Buycomputers.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Bobendren wrote:
wizardofid wrote:With all those bottles necks it will still perform like crap even with the nice CPU.
What bottlenecks? Motherboards make very little difference to the overall speed of a pc, at most a few percent. Some mobo's overclock better than others, but that's a different kettle of fish...mmm....fish. And DDR2 isn't much faster than DDR1. The only thing that may be considered slow is the gfx card, but hey, it's faster than mine. More than enough for q3a - the only game worth playing. :D
Who said motherboard?
very little difference
I disagree the chipset is the third most important next to the CPU and GFX.The memory controller can make or break a intel system.

DDR1 is faster than DDR2 in pratice only when it comes to low end ram.....
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

The chipset is very important for memory performance but the 865P chipset on his board has quite good performance. The bottleneck will be the NB to SB connection which has a max throughput of 266MB/s, AFAIK. This bandwidth needs to be shared between the PCI bus, SATA and gigabit ethernet which can easily saturate it. It is still a very nice upgrade from a 3.2Ghz P4.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Molean

Post by Molean »

I'm sure many people can build a PC for R2500 if they had half the parts lying around there house. :wink:
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

How much you think it would cost if you where building from scratch? Ok, I got the mobo already so all I need is CPU, RAM + PSU. Got a 5200 FX Ultra GPU but I can upgrade to PCI Xpress later coz Im not a big gamer