My WC Project ( NEW PICS! [!!!!RAD FIXED!!!!] 09/08/07 )

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Ok So, i decided to do something today... Saw Synapsys had a big sale on, so gave good ol Arthur a call to see wot he cud do for me...

I ordered the following

1. Asetek WaterChill CPU Cooler DYO Universal - CPU01/P2 1/2-inch
2. Mitron AC Relay Switch 220V - PCI slot
3. Arctic Silver Ceramique (2.7g)

within 10 minutes my order was ready and i went to pick it up.

was very happy that i now had a proper pci-relay card and a cpu block that i can mount and all :P

Total Cost for all 3 was R307

Normal Price would've Been R831.06 +-

Here are some pics.

All the Pieces of the Waterblock + Ceramique + Relay (NOTE THE BLOCK DOESNT COME WITH INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO PUT IT TOGETHER) : wasnt that hard, but yeh just saying :P

Another Pic (Diff angle)

Close-up of all the screws and springs and stuff

PCI-Relay Card + Ceramique

CPU BLOCK ASSEMBLED

--------------------------------

Almost Done

still need to do the following tho:

1. Seal Reservoir & Connect Pump to Relay
2. Get 2 x 120mm Black Fans
3. Get Coolant
4. Leak Test
5. Install
Dust

Post by Dust »

How much does the Artic Silver Ciramique go for? Why is it ceramique?
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

i think it was like R20 excl vat

so a total of R22.80 for it, no idea why its ceramique :P but yeh i r happy :P
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Ok got a slight problem, my 1/2" hose doesnt fit into the blocks so gonna have to look around and 10mm fits but is sldightly loose so the water leaks out.

Going to get an Adaptor so that i can use the Easy/Quick Connect Barbs from the old NB Block that im not using for my Radiator as the radiator had 10mm quick connect fittings and everything else has 1/2" but the ones from the NB block have a bigger thread so i cant put it straight into the rad.

Thats all for now
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Ok... Small Update and some things i forgot to add into the "To Do list" :P

Done:

a) Sealed Reservoir - No Leaks YAY!!!
b) Tested the CPU Block with the 10mm Pipe and there are no leaks what so ever, i flung it around i held it upside down, put pressure on the pipes etc, no leaks so im ampt

To Do:

1. Connect Pump to Relay
2. Get 2 x 120mm Black Fans
3. Get Coolant
4. Drill Holes in Case to mount Radiator
5. Cut Holes for Pipe @ back of case
6. Get New Adaptors to fit Quick Connect Barbs onto Radiator
7. Leak Test
8. Install
Dust

Post by Dust »

I found that Arctic Silver is for cpus and gpus with a heatspreader and ceramique is for older Athlon XPs that didn't have heatspreaders. Using Silver on these would cause a short as it conducts elec. but the ceramique does not. Got Arctic Silver today, really impressed by its perfomance, only dowside is that it cost me R100 for a 3.5g!!!!
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

only dowside is that it cost me R100 for a 3.5g!!!!
It is unfortunate that the good stuff does cost a bit extra...at least you can't go wrong and have to do everything over :)
the pen is mighter than the sword, but the word is always final
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

normally the 2.7g arctic ceramique goes for R70 excl vat, i spoke to arthur and he said its quite good... so im not complaining :P

P.S Good news - Reservoir isnt leaking AT all, upside down, sideways etc :P its 100% leak free, so im verry veryy happy :P
Dust

Post by Dust »

Your project is coming along nicely, my fingers are itching to seriously mod my case.
inf3ct10n

My WC Project (PROBLEMS - 21/03/07)

Post by inf3ct10n »

hi guys, so i had a few things on my to do list and today i decided to get some of those things done, well one of those things actually

and that was #6 on the list... To get Adaptors/Step-up's to fit my Quick Connect Asetek Barbs onto my Radiator.

So off i went to Builders Warehouse, i was instructed by a few people there to go from 1 section to another to another when eventually i found a helpfully lady who showed me where to go.

First off, i tried a 1/4" to 3/8" step-up, and it fitted however, it didnt go on all the way as it was too thick around the middle for it to screw in completely.

So, for my next option, i tried a 1/4" to 1/4" to extend it, and then into the 1/4" i put a 1/4" to 3/8" and voila :P it worked :P

So, i get home and im busy tightening it (After Sealing it with PTFET Tape)

And The Radiator Pipes/Barbs that come out of it to where the thread is for the Barbs i put on is very delicate, so i was tightening the Step-up's and BAM!@$ it snapped off :(

it snapped off right @ the end tho, where it joins to the Radiator, so im very lucky Coz i can just get someone to Weld it back on without any Complications.

Will Post Pics of that Later/Tomo
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Eish...Bit of bad luck there... Good luck sorting it
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Ok so... im now finished with exams, and i was so de-motivated after my radiator barb snapped off that i decided its time to get cracking and get my project finished.

However, im a bit new to the whole modding scene so i'd like some help from anyone who knows where i can get the stuff that i need done.

1. First of all, im going to purchase a new case, i dont like this gigabyte chassis that i got when i bought my pc, so im going to go for the Aerocool Baydream as it is quite a neat looking case, and i like the size and layout of it.

2. I still havnt uploaded pictures yet, but my bro took my camera to botswana and he'll be back later tonight, so as soon as he gets home ill upload some pictures of the Broken Radiator barb.

--- Does anyone know where i can get some really good/fine welding done to get the barb welded back onto the radiator without having any leaks?

3. I decided its time to get some proper mounts for my radiator, but the problem is the Aqua-Computer Triple Airplex Evo Mounts cost R200 (so i was happy to pay that..) but the shipping costs slightly more than the actual brackets, and i think its a bit of a waste.

So, If anyone knows where i can get Brackets like the Aqua-Computer ones made like these:

http://site.sharkacomputers.com/images/ ... -sd-lg.gif

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/ ... 3_11959000

http://site.sharkacomputers.com/images/ ... -pp-lg.gif

http://site.sharkacomputers.com/images/ ... fit-lg.gif

for about R200 or the actual aqua-computer ones, please lemmi know id really apreciate it.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

You could attempt to make those brackets out of Perspex you know. It would probably be cheaper in any way and you wouldn't need to keep it chrome or steel colour. Your choice... :wink:
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Picture of Connected barb and Broken Barb (donno if u can even call them barbs but yeah)

Picture of Barb (you can see, it broke of RIGHT at the end, where it touches the radiator, its also a bit twisted, but water flow is still perfect, i just tested)

Picture of the Radiator where the Barb snapped off

So im in need of some welding, if anyone knows where they can do find welding to fix that for me i'd greatly apreciate it, thanks.
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Ok im still a bit of a n00b @ sketchup... but here goes, i need to get brackets much like these ones made for my radiator to secure it to my computer...

The Radiator basically slides into the back bracket, it needs to have support underneath and ontop (just where it bolts in on top) and also, it needs to have a base so that i can bolt it to the case.

The Front bracket doesnt cover the barbs at all so its basically a base to secure it to the computer, A support beam under the radiator... and then it goes over the sides instead of the front/back like the back bracket and has holes ontop where you bolt it to the rad.

Front - barbs look like **** i know :P

Back

Side

Side & Top

Ill post some more pics soon of the Brackets in Red so you can see what they look like.

But im in need of some help if any of u know where i can get brackets like that made?
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

You can easily fix that barb. but you gonna need a small torch with a nice blue flame just in that area, coz the bigger the flame the more area its gonna melt, then say good bye to your Radiator.
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Here are some pics to show you the actual brackets if you didnt get the picture :P

Front & Top

Side & Top

Back & Top

Back & Bot
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

yeh doobs, thing is i dont want to do it myself... so i was thinking of taking it to like a Radiator place, one of my dad's friends owns Green's Radiators, so ill take it there and see if they can fix it, i mean afterall... they do fix car radiators :P
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Ok, so here is an up close pic of the ACTUAL brackets (made by aqua-computer) for the Triple Airplex Evolution... now, they're not a bad price R179 for both brackets, but the thing is... i only have use for 1 bracket and the shipping price is like the cost of the actual brackets, so its a bit of a waste if u ask me... So now, does anyone know where they would make such brackets for me?
Druggs

Post by Druggs »

lol where is the pic? :lol:
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

mmh, lol it didnt come up in that post, here it is

and a bigger picture at this link - http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/ima ... g?pID=1313
Druggs

Post by Druggs »

ohh cool :) very nice and shiny :D
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Ok so finally, i gave my dad my radiator last night, and he took it with him to work this morning, and dropped it off at Green's Radiators :P an hour and R100 later it was fixed... here are some pics of my fixed rad (oh and btw, it looks better than new, they even re-sprayed it for me)

Soz if u cant see... was a bit hard to get my cam into a spot where i cud show you guys the wonderful job they did :P
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Hey man, you still want that triple rad grill?
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

im not too sure yet... im currently trying to swap my triple for a dual so that i can purchase the Gigabyte Aurora 570, which has pre-fitted holes for tubes if u mount ur dual on the back of the case... so i might be needing a Dual :P but ill let u know, thanks Wik :P