CellPhone Q&A

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Anakha56 wrote:okay went through gsmarena and they dont have a nokia model called the S60, so what is your model again?

with regards to pics being taken with cell phones if you zoom with any phone, it is doing a digital zoom unless you have the phones with a optical zoom. thats the reason why they look bad when using zoom. any phone with digital zoom will look bad.
Imagelol...S60 is series 60 (nokia have series.) They mainly have 3 series. S30, S40 and S60. Thoes are the most popular. S30 has died out. S40 is S40v1, S40V2 and S40v3(different versions of Series 40 phones) Then series 60 is the symbian phones. Their "business" phones. which have different versions of operating systems (OS6.1, OS7, OS8, OS8.1, OS9.1, OS9.2 and soon OS9.3).Series 60 is the only proper Nokia series with symbian on it.
You also get S90 which is windows mobile.
The S60s have the best cameras, screens, speakers (basically the latest and better quality tech).

Examples of series30: 3200, 3100, 3510i.etc
Examples of Series40V1,V2,V3: 6230i, 6610i, 6822, 6280.etc
Examples of Series60 Os6-os9.2: N-gage, 3650i, 6600, 6620, 6680 and so far the entire N-series.

Do you understand Nokia's better now? Also you know what symbian is? Its a cell phone operating system. You get 2 different types, symbian and symbian UIQ. Normall symbian is ONLY made by Nokia (s60) and symbian UIQ is made by Nokia, Moto, Samsng, SE and a few others. For symbian UIQ you wont get as many apps, games.etc for as its not very popular. You will get the most apps and games for normall symbian as its one of the most powerful phones OS, and last you get java which isnt really an OS and has the least apps and games.

Yeah, but Nokias dont look as bad as some other phones. Also most of the new Nokias have optical zoom and Carl Ziess lens's. :P
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

PsyCLown ANY phone with digital zoom will distort. Please at least google things before you post them. PLEASE!

Anakha: S60 is not a model number, but more of a platform.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Rikkelz wrote:PsyCLown ANY phone with digital zoom will distort. Please at least google things before you post them. PLEASE!

Anakha: S60 is not a model number, but more of a platform.
I never said nokias dont distort!

EDIT: :oops: I kinda sis. I should have re-phrased that. Sorry.
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

i was wanting the model number of the phone to see what makes it different from say mine in terms of camera qaulity...

maybe nokia use a better algorithm...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Anakha56 wrote:i was wanting the model number of the phone to see what makes it different from say mine in terms of camera qaulity...

Also remember Nokia have been creating camera phones for longer than SE and therefore have more experiance with it. Im sure Nokia have a bigger budget than SE as well. Sony took over Ericsson which was a big failure (Ericsson).

Spoiler (show)
thealluseless

Post by thealluseless »

Also remember Nokia have been creating camera phones for longer than SE and therefore have more experiance with it
and how long have sony been making cameras?
anyways must say the pics on my k800se are pretty damn good, not many phones can take those kind of pics at night!

as for the d900, i have heard they pretty good, like the outputs!!! however i remember something about their battery life being pretty crappy??
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_phone

Seems the first phone mated with a camera was a Motorola. The first commercially sold camera phone was a Sharp.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
abs

Post by abs »

PsyCLown wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:i was wanting the model number of the phone to see what makes it different from say mine in terms of camera qaulity...

Also remember Nokia have been creating camera phones for longer than SE and therefore have more experiance with it. Im sure Nokia have a bigger budget than SE as well. Sony took over Ericsson which was a big failure (Ericsson).
You a real nokia fanboy and have forgotten that other phones except nokia's is pretty good too do you ever give constructive critisism when it come to phones Nokia is not the only Phone manufacturer I'm a Sony Erricsson fanboy and believe me if there's a better phone other than sony ill take it give credit where its due.

Thats why there's different phones aimed at different segments of the market, if you want a camera phone or music phone there's different flavours for different people and your take on the symbian os phones is really nonsense have you ever used the se p910 the one with the "touch screen'' and is one of the most powerful symbian os phones.

On topic the d900 is samsung better phones petty bout the battery life though, as far as pictures go its equipped with a 3.0 mega pixel cam and the shots look really nice and very clear i was playing with one over the weekend im very impressed with res of the screen really nice and clear.

Psyclown no pun intended but you should really read more phone reviews. :wink:
Last edited by abs on 29 Dec 2006, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Hman

Post by Hman »

Yeah, I'm a fan of Motorola, but with my upgrade in February I'll see what I get. Might be some sort of smart phone (not Symbian, Symbian isn't smart :wink: ). I'm looking at HTC, i-Mate or Motorola. I'd love the Genius gsmart 128, but I probably won't get it from Vodacom. But and this is a huge but, if the Motorola Razr Maxx is available by then I'll get that.

abs

Post by abs »

Hman wrote:Yeah, I'm a fan of Motorola, but with my upgrade in February I'll see what I get. Might be some sort of smart phone (not Symbian, Symbian isn't smart :wink: ). I'm looking at HTC, i-Mate or Motorola. I'd love the Genius gsmart 128, but I probably won't get it from Vodacom. But and this is a huge but, if the Motorola Razr Maxx is available by then I'll get that.
Im leaning towards the se p990i still a bit to expensive but by mid next year i should get one, i love the i mates looks really nice but dont have all the functionalities i need. :wink:
Hman

Post by Hman »

Do you know of any smartphones with HSDPA

abs

Post by abs »

Found this one dont know if its available locally. If you going with a smart phone try and get something with a touch screen its really nice a added feature
would be handwriting recognition this really helps if you send allot of emails or sms 's apart from using the qwerty keyboard which imho is bit uncomfortable because of the small keys, just use the stylus pen and the phone will recognize your handwriting which is a real plus. :wink:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/05/sams ... e-at-last/
Hman

Post by Hman »

Looks interesting, I'll see by February. I have also looked at the Moto A1200 but has no HSDPS, not even 3g.

abs

Post by abs »

Hman wrote:Looks interesting, I'll see by February. I have also looked at the Moto A1200 but has no HSDPS, not even 3g.
Allot of smartphones coming out now will be equipped with all the added feature
s hence the se p990i has it all wireless lan 3g not hsdpsa @ 384kbps thats ample for browsing and sending email from the phone but the price is just too expensive. :wink:
Hman

Post by Hman »

HSDPA Would be a plus for me, as I use my phones as my modems.

WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

UHM!!! Damn...what was it called?!

HTC MTeoR...that's it
abs

Post by abs »

Hman wrote:HSDPA Would be a plus for me, as I use my phones as my modems.
Ok i get the picture. just a word of caution its very exspensive with vodacom a weeks browsing using my w900i as a modem @ 384kbps out of bundle when my adsl line was down cost me R800 bucks. :wink:
Hman

Post by Hman »

The Meteor is one of my options.

Hman

Post by Hman »

abs wrote:
Hman wrote:HSDPA Would be a plus for me, as I use my phones as my modems.
Ok i get the picture. just a word of caution its very exspensive with vodacom a weeks browsing using my w900i as a modem @ 384kbps out of bundle when my adsl line was down cost me R800 bucks. :wink:
Yeah, I know.

PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

abs wrote:Thats why there's different phones aimed at different segments of the market, if you want a camera phone or music phone there's different flavours for different people and your take on the symbian os phones is really nonsense have you ever used the se p910 the one with the "touch screen'' and is one of the most powerful symbian os phones
Umm, the P910i is UIQ. The support for UIQ isnt as big as S60 Symbian, also it might have a SLIGHTY better processor than my 6600 (133mhz) and the RAM im sure is around the same (10MB). It also uses Os7 like my 6600. I dont see why it would me SOO MUCH MORE powerfull than my 6600? It has a few extra functions which are rather useful. Also if im not mistaken the P910i was the first multi bluetooth phone (where it can have more than 1 bluetooth connection).

Also a symbian phone can do almost anything which any other phone can. I just dont see why someone would want to get a phone with kess features? Maybe if they have a budget or arent gonna use the extra features? To me it just doesnt make sence.

But now thats my opinion. There are loads of other good phones apart from S60s which I wouldnt mind having, but the way I see it, its a waste of money to me as I use ALL the features which an S60 has to offer me.

Spoiler (show)
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Hman wrote:Do you know of any smartphones with HSDPA
The N95 has HSDPA and loads of features, it wont be released in SA for a while also the release price will be around R5K-R6K (estimate) when its releaed?

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n95-1716.php

Spoiler (show)
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

PsyCLown wrote:
The N95 has HSDPA and loads of features, it wont be released in SA for a while also the release price will be around R5K-R6K (estimate) when its releaed?

It will most probably reach SA by October 2007 only... :roll:

IMO that phone is the ultimate but damn it's gonna be expensive...
abs

Post by abs »

abs wrote:Thats why there's different phones aimed at different segments of the market, if you want a camera phone or music phone there's different flavours for different people and your take on the symbian os phones is really nonsense have you ever used the se p910 the one with the "touch screen'' and is one of the most powerful symbian os phones
PsyCLown wrote:]Umm, the P910i is UIQ. The support for UIQ isnt as big as S60 Symbian,
O rly :!: you just don't seem to listen you have time to post allot of bull why don't you do some research before posting you just pwnd urself again see below what the definition of UIQ means.
UIQ (formerly known as User Interface Quartz) by UIQ Technology is a software platform based upon Symbian OS. Essentially this is a graphical user interface layer that provides additional components to the core OS, to enable the development of feature-rich mobile phones that are open to expanded capabilities through third-party applications.

Native applications can be written in C++ using the Symbian/UIQ SDK. All UIQ-based phones (2.x and 3) also support Java applications.

Version 2.0 and 2.1 are pen-based and used in the following 2.5G and 3G smartphones: Nokia 6708, Motorola A920/A925/A1000/M1000, Sony Ericsson P800/P900/P910, BenQ P30/P31 and Arima U300/U308.

UIQ phones employ touch screens with a resolution of 208×320 pixels (UIQ 1.x & 2.x) and 240×320 (UIQ 3.x). Depending on the phone, the color depth is 12-bit (4096 colors), 16-bit (65536 colors), or 18-bit (262144 colors) on some newer phones.

UIQ 3 is the latest version of the platform and, in addition to the pen-based UI, will also support one handed operation and a number of significant enhancements.

For developers the significant items are:

* Single SDK model - developers targeting core UIQ features can use the UIQ SDK to target any UIQ 3 device. Extensions targeting specific device features (such as WiFi, etc) are available from phone manufacturers websites.
* Increased tools support - developers can use whichever tools they are familiar with (DevStudio, Eclipse, Carbide, CodeWarrior, NetBeans). Many of these tools are beginning to support extensive RAD features for both C++ and Java developers.
* High volume, mid-range devices are now possible, to significantly increase the potential customer base.

The first phones with the pen-based UIQ 3 will be Sony Ericsson's P990, M600 and the Walkman-branded W950.

source
Btw the se p910i is symbian smartphone and once again please see below
The third Sony Ericsson Symbian OS smartphone, the P910 provides a complete offering of phone, PDA, email and web browsing for users on the move. It supports several mobile email providers including Smartner, IBM, Extended Systems, Visto, BlackBerry®, Seven, JP Mobile and Intellisync for gaining access to and handling email remotely. Text input methods on the P910 range from keyboard strokes and handwriting recognition to T9 predictive text. The phone’s internal memory is 64Mb and it can support up to a 1Gb Memory Stick Duo Pro. The P910 will start shipping globally in Q3 2004.

source
Sorry bout the way this reply comes across but the iformation you supply is really misleading to other members on this forum, your ignorance surpasses your intelligence, and I reiterate PLEASE DO SOME READING BEFORE POSTING :!:
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

W1K wrote:
PsyCLown wrote:

It will most probably reach SA by October 2007 only... :roll:

IMO that phone is the ultimate but damn it's gonna be expensive...
Yeah, no phone will touch it for at least 6months :wink:

Spoiler (show)
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

abs wrote:
PsyCLown wrote:]Umm, the P910i is UIQ. The support for UIQ isnt as big as S60 Symbian,
O rly :!: you just don't seem to listen you have time to post allot of bull why don't you do some research before posting you just pwnd urself again see below what the definition of UIQ means.
UIQ (formerly known as User Interface Quartz) by UIQ Technology is a software platform based upon Symbian OS. Essentially this is a graphical user interface layer that provides additional components to the core OS, to enable the development of feature-rich mobile phones that are open to expanded capabilities through third-party applications.

Native applications can be written in C++ using the Symbian/UIQ SDK. All UIQ-based phones (2.x and 3) also support Java applications.

Version 2.0 and 2.1 are pen-based and used in the following 2.5G and 3G smartphones: Nokia 6708, Motorola A920/A925/A1000/M1000, Sony Ericsson P800/P900/P910, BenQ P30/P31 and Arima U300/U308.

UIQ phones employ touch screens with a resolution of 208×320 pixels (UIQ 1.x & 2.x) and 240×320 (UIQ 3.x). Depending on the phone, the color depth is 12-bit (4096 colors), 16-bit (65536 colors), or 18-bit (262144 colors) on some newer phones.

UIQ 3 is the latest version of the platform and, in addition to the pen-based UI, will also support one handed operation and a number of significant enhancements.

For developers the significant items are:

* Single SDK model - developers targeting core UIQ features can use the UIQ SDK to target any UIQ 3 device. Extensions targeting specific device features (such as WiFi, etc) are available from phone manufacturers websites.
* Increased tools support - developers can use whichever tools they are familiar with (DevStudio, Eclipse, Carbide, CodeWarrior, NetBeans). Many of these tools are beginning to support extensive RAD features for both C++ and Java developers.
* High volume, mid-range devices are now possible, to significantly increase the potential customer base.

The first phones with the pen-based UIQ 3 will be Sony Ericsson's P990, M600 and the Walkman-branded W950.

source
Btw the se p910i is symbian smartphone and once again please see below
The third Sony Ericsson Symbian OS smartphone, the P910 provides a complete offering of phone, PDA, email and web browsing for users on the move. It supports several mobile email providers including Smartner, IBM, Extended Systems, Visto, BlackBerry®, Seven, JP Mobile and Intellisync for gaining access to and handling email remotely. Text input methods on the P910 range from keyboard strokes and handwriting recognition to T9 predictive text. The phone’s internal memory is 64Mb and it can support up to a 1Gb Memory Stick Duo Pro. The P910 will start shipping globally in Q3 2004.

source
Sorry bout the way this reply comes across but the iformation you supply is really misleading to other members on this forum, your ignorance surpasses your intelligence, and I reiterate PLEASE DO SOME READING BEFORE POSTING :!:
Umm, I know the P910i is symbian..but it is UIQ Symbian! The entire SE Pseries (so far) is UIQ Symbian. The only phones which have symbian symbian is Nokia (so far).

You didnt answer my questin why the P910i is "SOO POWERFUL". Like I said, S60 symbian is more popular than UIQ and therefore has more apps and games. Why do you think UIQ is more powerful than S60 symbian?

Spoiler (show)