Car Choices

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Charger14

Car Choices

Post by Charger14 »

Hi there people. I got a choice for cars and I wana hear some input on my choice.

Here are the contenders:

Volvo S40 2.4i

Ford Fiesta ST

Specs:
The Fiesta ST
The S40 2.4i

Personally I'm leaving heavily in the directiom of the Fiesta St, I'm a young guy and I like the youthfulness of the car, plus I want something that's really fun to drive, the volvo is great, but I feel so... Regal in it, took one for a test drive and opened it a bit, it felt so... Wrong... Just felt compusure must be kept and all that... Weird I know...

*EDIT:Changed the S40's pic to something a bit more flattering*
Last edited by Charger14 on 28 Sep 2006, 21:44, edited 2 times in total.
Is this thing on?Helloooo?
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Take the Volvo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

right, maybe i'm the first brave enuff person to ask this, buttttt...
by WHAT process of elimination did you arrive at the choice of these two?????

Unless your buying secondhand, the price spectrum seems, well large.

Volvo = R227000
Ford = R172000

The Volvo is ugly, small, and all tho VERY untrue, has the rep of being an old mans car...... Looking at that pic you posted tho, thats how a car is NOT meant to look.....A Russian women's nose, Sits very High for a small sedan, and the REAR 8O 8O it should be illegal.......

The Ford is a great piece of engineering, but its so pointless, its a tiny, small minnute thing that goes fast??? (Focus ST is fineeee)

But more importantly, slap bang in the middle of your price range, isssss

Subaru Impreza (Base model, but so what?)
VW Jetta 2.0
Honda Civic 1.8 Vtec (Ugly as sin, but i thought i should add it here)
Opel Astra
Audi A3 2.0 FSi

and for the decerning Yuppie, the BMW 116i or 118i !!!

and these are all around R200k!!!!!! if you are over 21 you are too young for the volvo and too old for a feista (by one for your wife later in life)

Dnt flame me please :lol: :lol: :lol:
Charger14

Post by Charger14 »

Jetta, No, VERY old mans car.
Scooby is far too boy toy racer for me(Yes the fiesta aint much better but leave me be,plus parents will def not agree to it)
Civic BAD!! Wieghs a ton and costs a fortune,and has silly gear lever(yes I'm fussy about those things)
Astra... Maybe...
Audi, not exactly my cup of tea
BMW? I'm gonna pretend I didnt hear that

Okay so maybe the pic of the volvo doesnt quite do it justice, I'll lookie for another one later. Yes, I'm under 21(18 to be exact, please no comments about being a rich boy and all that, this isn't a free car, I'm paying the deposit on the car with my own money, and it way more than the standard 10%, let's just leave it at that.)

I like the fiesta, It's small, nippy, fun to drive and does what I want it to. the Volvo was my parents idea. I like it, it's got performance,its safer than Fort Knox and comes with enough electronics to run a space station, but to me the idea of a S40 as a first car just seems well, too much, its alot of car.

The biggest thing that gets me though, is you know when you sit in a car and you drive it and you feel comfortable, good, in touch with the car, I get that in the Fiesta, the volvo I feel, detached and like I said, regal...
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

Ok yea, well if your 18 the fiesta doesn't sound all that bad, but if its a fast, nippy car ur after get a VW Polo 1.9TDi Sportline, with a 120000km motorplan. If your going to study, the feul economy is perfect! its literally FLYS! and its got ESP, ABS, Airbags. Theres something jsut right about the NEW Polos, ever since their launch, VW over took Toyota on SA Car Sales!!!

VW Polo 1.9TDi Sportline 96Kw 6Speed (0-100 9.2s)
ESP, Sunroof, Cruise Control and AutoMotion Plan "Bolt-on" (0 - 120,000km)

Forrr about R202k

Charger14

Post by Charger14 »

Hmm,thats not such a bad idea. Although the price is a bit rough though, but I'll definatly look into the Polo TDi,going to hafta test drive one soon though and see for myself how it goes and sits...
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

haha, mate where do you stay? find a route to go on the highway, and small windy roads!

the TDi driving style is superb! the Turbo really kicks in on a TDi and throws you into your seat! (My folks have a TDi Jetta, its so much fun to drive!!)

And you'll smoke most hot hatches in a Polo TDi, its usually about R169k but the motorplan is a better idea, because you're basically paying for all your services in advance, and that means no matter what parts go up in price, you just take your car in, and they do the service! and most people are sceptical of TDis, so they would advise you to go for the motorplan anyway!

Take it for a test drive, but really hammer it! its adictive! you can drive hard and save feul :D :D
Charger14

Post by Charger14 »

Oh great... lovely,my parents saw the The Fiests Euro NCAP Rating and were rather miffed, it looks quite the bad when put up against the The Volvo's Euro NCAP rating

But come on, they two totally diffrent cars! the Fiesta is small, of course it's going to do a bit worse. Is it really that much worse though in the test? This sucks because my brother died in car accident and i've been called more well... Aggressive behind the wheel so my parents are really rough on the safety thing...

He he, I stay in Richards Bay, we've got a local VW dealersship here, I'll maybe go lookie tomorrow or next week perhaps and see what I can find. We got an awesome back road here, if you get it clear of traffic it's cruise as fast as you want... Motorplan is an absolute given no matter what car I get, services are expensive otherwise!!
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Honda Civic R-Type.
They say it's not going to be available in SA.... :cry:

Mozz

Post by Mozz »

Well Honda are REALLY trying their best at scaring the old people away!

@ Charger, Highway driving the polo works out to be about R35 per 100km :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

A Polo like Mozz has recommended is very nice indeed! Quick and economical...

I can't believe at 18, you're looking at a Volvo S40... :roll: In fact I can't believe you're getting such an expensive car at that age, even if you're paying the deposit, wow, at 18 I bought my own car, in fact my parents wanted to do something similar to me paying the deposit and them paying the instalments, but I chose to buy it myself, you appreciate things much more working for them yourself. IMO.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, you'd be much better suited to a hatch. I'm not actually a very big Ford fan, but I quite like their ST models, and I think that Fiesta ST would actually be perfect for you. I've driven one and they're very quick with excellent handling! Slap a performance exhaust and proper induction kit on and they go like stink!
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

Very True Ryan, the STs are amazing vehicles, as i sed b4, altho the fiesta is last on my list

But when you're sitting in a Ford, you're sitting in a Ford...
Its the finishes that count :wink: and lets face it.... hes not gonna worry about loosing drags to his mates coz they all have Citis and Tazz's, so choosing the better finished car should be a problem for him!!!
Charger14

Post by Charger14 »

Meh, Honda... Can't say I'm too impressed by their new range, they look good if you take some time to look and figure them(And if you sit in drivers seat you get this really cool feeling of being at the bridge of a battleship or something)But overall... Can't help but feel underwhelmed...

@Ryanrich, you see there, your reaction to the S40 is EXACTLY what's stopping me from wanting to get it, it's exactly the same thing I feel about it. And Don't worry, I really appreciate what parents are doing, I'm incredibly holy over my stuff,especially things like this.

How are the Ford's on after sales service? Haven't heard much at all... I'm definatly going to look at the Polo.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Mozz wrote:Very True Ryan, the STs are amazing vehicles, as i sed b4, altho the fiesta is last on my list

But when you're sitting in a Ford, you're sitting in a Ford...
Its the finishes that count :wink: and lets face it.... hes not gonna worry about loosing drags to his mates coz they all have Citis and Tazz's, so choosing the better finished car should be a problem for him!!!
Haha, true true...

In fact I know of about 5 people who have had ENDLESS troubles with the new Fiesta's. Everything from gearbox changes and clutches going to CV joints.

At the prices that you're looking at I would really consider a Golf 5 or Polo, or if you want a fast hatch for a reasonably good price a Golf 4 132kW GTI, you can still find some from VW Mastercars on motorplan anoll anoll...
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'll shut up now b4 i get told i'm a salesman :lol:

What about the little SEAT?
Last edited by Mozz on 28 Sep 2006, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
Charger14

Post by Charger14 »

He he, drags are fun and all, but I prefer to be able to out handle someone through corners. Plus like ryanrich said, exhaust and filter later and we'll see again :)
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Charger14 wrote:How are the Ford's on after sales service? Haven't heard much at all... I'm definatly going to look at the Polo.
Ford's after sales service isn't too great, the Polo's will definitely be better...

The Sportline TDI Polo is very nice! I have the same engine in my car and it goes like hell! The best part is you still get about 700km's to a tank in the Polo, so it's quick and also very economical!
Charger14

Post by Charger14 »

ryanrich wrote:In fact I know of about 5 people who have had ENDLESS troubles with the new Fiesta's. Everything from gearbox changes and clutches going to CV joints.
Hmm, seriously? Which ones is that on though? Right across the range or just specific models?
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fSe ... Id=3292464

Little bit more than the polo, but 118Kw TDi.... thats insane!
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Charger14 wrote:
ryanrich wrote:In fact I know of about 5 people who have had ENDLESS troubles with the new Fiesta's. Everything from gearbox changes and clutches going to CV joints.
Hmm, seriously? Which ones is that on though? Right across the range or just specific models?
Heard of a few problems with the ST's, and one guy who worked with me had a 1.4i and they replaced the gearbox twice, clutch once and CV joints twice. All in about 6 months, and it was bought brand new...
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Mozz wrote:http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fSe ... Id=3292464

Little bit more than the polo, but 118Kw TDi.... thats insane!
If I was on the car market right now for a hatch, I would get an Ibiza myself.....I think they're pretty slick looking.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Here is a quick tip for anybody in the market.

Buy a honda :twisted:

Now for another tip.

Check out www.hellopeter.com and see what people complained about. This should give a good indication of what the after sales service of any of the major motor companies is like.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Bah, only problem with buying a Honda, is you end up with a Honda... :lol:

J/K
Maplassie_GTR

Post by Maplassie_GTR »

Synthesis wrote:Honda Civic R-Type.
They say it's not going to be available in SA.... :cry:

I heard we "Might" get it....

OUr country sucks

No R34 (very few, but still counts as NONE)
No Civic Type R
No Milla Jovovich

It's sad.......!!!!!! :cry:
v1c

Post by v1c »

maxxis wrote:Here is a quick tip for anybody in the market.

Buy a honda :twisted:

Now for another tip.

Check out www.hellopeter.com and see what people complained about. This should give a good indication of what the after sales service of any of the major motor companies is like.
You can say that again. My mom bought a Honda Civic in '05 and traded in her old Ballade. A couple months later she got a speeding fine for the car she had traded in. She contacted Honda and they said they would pay the fine and all would be sorted. Now, nearly a year later, she has to go to court because the speeding fine hasn't been paid. :evil:

Bunch of ....