Help me OC my rig pls

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
PsyCLown

Help me OC my rig pls

Post by PsyCLown »

OK. I need help with OCing my PC. Im a n00b at OCing.
My PC specs are listed in my sig. Iv managed to get 2.12Ghz with my CPU and if I try push it higher in the BIOS it just restaurts and doesnt boot into windows?
I get 40-44 degreas on load and 30-33 on idle.
I also wanna OC my graphics card and RAM.
Please help me out. Thanks
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Please?
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Please?

Spoiler (show)
MrDeVil_909

Post by MrDeVil_909 »

At the risk of being flamed for recommending 'soft-core' methods, as a newbie, like myself, it is probably wisest to OC using windows based applications.

With an nForce chipset and gfx card the easiest is actually the nvidia control panel which can access pretty much everything and is fairly safe to play around with. AFAIK

Otherwise there is Riva-Tuner for your Geforce and clockgen for your CPU. The plus side of this is, in my experience, when you mess up (and you will, otherwise you are not trying hard enough) and crash your system it resets to default values ;)

That is basically the limits of my knowledge, I hope it's some help
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Hex_Rated suggested I use clockgen but it doesnt do anything?
Im satill waiting for him to reply to my PM.
Also my nvidia controll panel doesnt seem to have a OC function in it?

Spoiler (show)
abs

Post by abs »

PsyCLown wrote:Hex_Rated suggested I use clockgen but it doesnt do anything?
Im satill waiting for him to reply to my PM.
Also my nvidia controll panel doesnt seem to have a OC function in it?
You have to edit your registry to unlock coolbits. Its a oc application built in the Nvidia Control panel.

Now If i can only find the link.
abs

Post by abs »

Ah here it is, just follow the steps as explained in the link. Worked for me
cheers!

http://oc3dmark.octeams.com/tip02.html
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

OK. Thanks...done that and lets hope it helps
Also what is the MAX your GPU temp should be at load?

Also is there anyway to monitor the temp while playing games?

Spoiler (show)
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

OK, thanks.
Iv done that,, lets hope it works.

Spoiler (show)
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

PsyCLown wrote:OK. Thanks...done that and lets hope it helps
Also what is the MAX your GPU temp should be at load?

Also is there anyway to monitor the temp while playing games?
I would try keep it under 60'C at load, but no one really knows - 6600GT shutdown temp is i think 145'C.

I use SpeedFan to monitor temps, it has a graphing function so you can let it run while you play then check out the temps once you're done. Rivatuner will do the same for your gfx temp.

Remember to lock any other clocks...PCI, SATA etc if you can find the option in the BIOS....chances are, they're locked already. Decrease memory divider and reduce the LDT multiplier (also known as the HT or FSB multipler down to 3x, standard is 5x, unless that's changed for AM2?)
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

GRRRRRR, I cant find that HT/HTT/LDT multiplyer thing anywhere in the BIOS??? Iv even looked in the manual.
Is it possible for the mobo to not have it but still be able to OC a bit?
It doesnt even boot with AI OC if its higher than 5% WTF???

Im definatly gonna get a DFI mobo as soon as I get more money!! DFI FTW!!!!!!!!

Maybe a BIOS flash would help me fix my problem?

Spoiler (show)
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

PsyCLown wrote:GRRRRRR, I cant find that HT/HTT/LDT multiplyer thing anywhere in the BIOS?
It might still be called something else. Just look for an option that involves selecting of "5x", "4x" etc. This will lower the HTT/FSB. Going over 1000 (200x5) is badong, or at least it was with 939 socket boards...not sure about AM2.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

theres a bunch of stuff set to enable and auto and i w0nt b0ther with that right? The htt multiplyer only has numbers?

Maybe a jumper changes it on the m0bo? Does any1 kn0w an/the asus f0rum pls pm me with the addy. Thanks

Spoiler (show)
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

Kinna on topic:

I OC for the first time too about two weeks ago... and I also have no freakin idea what I'm doing...

Went into the BIOS, boosted my FSB up until it showed my 1.7Ghz Cel was 2.0Ghz, I have one of two choices regarding my RAM, one made its speed way faster than the normal 266Mhz it normaly shows (and then the PC doesn't boot) and the other dropped it down to 236Mhz (then PC boots)... also had to lock my AGP/PCI speeds to get the PC to boot and booted into Windows to see a CPU running way to hot even to do a basic benchmark so I restored to default values (I only have a couple of fans, and my CPU cooling suXors, sometimes overheats in summer without being OC...)... so I decided to browse more threds like this one and to see if I can learn a bit more about what the hell I did (and shouldn't) do...
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

You OC an Intel....and not just any Intel,, but a Celeron.

My mobo seems a lot more complex or maybe simple compared to yours.

Spoiler (show)
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Had a look at your manual:
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/soc ... npv-vm.pdf

Looks like there is no option to change HT / LDT multiplier or the CPU voltage. Spread spectrum is the reason why clockgen is not working. Change the memory clock frequency to DDR2-533 so that when you move up your CPU frequency the RAM doesn't run out of spec.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
kraven

Post by kraven »

I OC'ed for the first time last weekend on my mates PC, got a stock E6400(2.13GHz) to sit stable at 2.86GHz using the stock cooler. myyyy werent we chuffed. Goooooooooo FSB!

uhh. what is the HT/LDT multiplier?
The Anime Society that\'ll influence the SA scene: http://www.genshiken.uct.ac.za
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

The HTT/LDT multiplier is an AMD only feature that multiplies your base clock to give you your effective HTT speed. You have to keep your effective HTT speed at or below 1000 with most AMD motherboards so when you overclock you have to drop the multiplier to 4 or 3 (it's normally 5 and the base clock is normally 200 giving 5 x 200 = 1000).
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Molean

Post by Molean »

Hey all,

What should I be able to OC my CPU to? See Sig. Ask if you need more details about parts.

i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Well i have a 4400+ too and i managed to get it up to 2.77Ghz.

I did that by setting the HTT to 252Mhz and upped the CPU voltage to 1.55V (i used the overvoltage on my A8N32). My RAM was at a 1:1 divider too :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Molean

Post by Molean »

I've also seen a few People get that, but I have a diff Ram/Mobo combo,
but thanks, I'll try that. :D

Oh ja, what were your RAM Timings, and what voltages were u running them at?
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

AN8 Fastality is not a very good overclocker. I don't know if you will make it over 2.5Ghz. They might have sorted it out though by now, don't know.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
Molean

Post by Molean »

Really? Hmm when I bought it I read lots of reviews about it being a good OCer and it being very stable, I guess things have changed. I am also running the latest BIOS revision.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

The Fatal1ty is teh suck...seriously...I had one and my 4000+ didn't want to go over like 2.5 or something....GAYNESS...
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

^^^Was just about to mention you.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64