Games effect Children

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Cupis

Games effect Children

Post by Cupis »

I never saw any topic abuot that... but i would like to get people s opinions on this.. i was aware of this for a long time but this article brought it to mind again

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/s ... gain.shtml

So are Games Any way linked to Violence?

My thoughts are that it does effect children of young ages and the age limit is definatley there for a reason.. When the person in question is older i think it will not increase in violence potential. I for one don't get aggrovated over games. i see games as entertainment only!

what are your guys thoughts
[/url]
Mortal_Wombat

Post by Mortal_Wombat »

Well I played GTA 3 when I was 14, and it didn't realy make me feel the urge to go steal someones car and go run over old grannies and hookers. So I guess it depends on the kids, if they're mature enough to be able to tell the difference between real life and a game.
Im looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks. Whos first?
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

well when i was about 8 i playe ddoom 1 ..... um ya lets just say my parents took the disc away from me... because of all the violent dreams i was having
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I was raised on games. Seriously. Used a computer before I could read. Dude, I was working dos when I was 4. I remember Doom1, Quake 1 and 2. By then I was 7. Still nothing. I think violence is wrong. I think its mainly a humanity thing.

Then again, I do have a different perspective on life than other people. I cannot hurt someone or something without regretting it. Even now I have barely physically injured anyone in my life.

I think alot has got to do with the way you are brought up and your standards while growing up.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

old news this one.. and keeps getting rehashed by whatever politico takes it on as flavour of the month... despite the fact that there is no such link ...

the reason this works so well politically is that, for a modicum of effort, the idiots can appear to be some sort of vangaurd in the protection of the kids.. it's absolute twonk. kids do not "get" out of a game what parents "get".. they have no reference for the mature content, in the same way that cartoons have different interpretations depending on your mental acuity... if you perceive something to be unsuitable, there is a good chance the perception is entirely yours...

i find the whole issue to be laughable in the extreme.. that they persist in hammering on about this has got to go down in the history books as one of man's most embarrassing moments...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

sorry never saw that thread...

you can lock it then

um just i was also raised on games and i can't hurt people either just when i was small it effected me
Da_V

Post by Da_V »

i was also on a pc before i could read
that is wat you call overprotective parents
Psypher

Post by Psypher »

The old adage "guns don't kill people... people kill people" comes to mind. I think that if you have violent tendancies watching a tomato in a blender will set you off, the whole violent games make you violent is rubish. Its like saying that playing cluedo makes you a murderer or playing chess makes you a warlord. I agree with rustypup here, political propaganda to sway voters.
"Sooooo... If I were a sub atomic, semi-conductive, solid at room temperature, element what would I be... hmm... Is this completely necessary Doc?"
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

naa.. it's a new take on the story, which means this thread is still a valid discussion, i included Thralls link for the oppositions view... :wink:

there is a great deal of history behind this story... it's origins are as multifaceted and shrouded in buffoonery as any other such nonsense... still.. it does us good to laugh...

on the one hand you have raving loons like Jack "I-really-should-know-better" Thompson and on the other hand, every sane individual in the world capable of stringing together something resembling a complex thought... ah well...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

If u take away all violent games, let the children in question grow up....Will rape, murder, etc decrease by a huge margin?

Games never really affected me in that way coz I knew what was right and wrong.
I geuss one can link it to the environment u grew up...school, parents, friends, etc.

PS. On the other hand, I wudnt totaly throw away the idea that games do affect children. But from personal exp, I dont think so
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
_Gerbz_

Post by _Gerbz_ »

I34z1k wrote:I was raised on games. Seriously. Used a computer before I could read. Dude, I was working dos when I was 4. I remember Doom1, Quake 1 and 2. By then I was 7. Still nothing. I think violence is wrong. I think its mainly a humanity thing.

Then again, I do have a different perspective on life than other people. I cannot hurt someone or something without regretting it. Even now I have barely physically injured anyone in my life.

I think alot has got to do with the way you are brought up and your standards while growing up.
humanity thing! I liked the way you put that. Society had Crime & Violence before games were around. The way I see it is that they mention the game GTA because in the game you oppose the LAW & Government! This is a problem to them because if children of today grow up with the idea that you can oppose "THE SYSTEM" it works against everything that they have work so hard to achieve. If we grow up never Questioning "The SYSTEM" they will keep there power. Afterall you cant defeat something that you dont know about. "Slave to a prison that you can not smell nor taste nor touch"

Rage Against the Machine: Know your enemy.
Spin

Post by Spin »

I34z1k wrote:Even now I have barely physically injured anyone in my life.
I thought you were from the Vaal? BaDoom Doom Cch ^^

I too was brought up with PC's and gaming, I've been effected in only one way though... concentration - I could never wait to get home to carry on playing my favourite game ^^

Violence? I've had a mildly violent life, not due to the influences of the games I played, but driven by the attitudes of my High School jocks...
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Post by DJT »

if anything, games have made me less violent. For me it offers a sort of sress relief. I can come home and ake all the day's troubles on a few bots. It helps, you should try it :)
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Spin wrote:High School jocks...
Jocks FTL!!

I'm not violent...and as DJT said...man it feels good PWNING some bots when you are pissed off
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

i g0t my first pc wen i was 6 or 7. Hasnt effected me yet. Im still a psych0tic serial killa cl0wn! :twisted:
meet me n u wil see im pretty n0rmal n n0t vi0lent at all...c0mpared 2 other guys in my sch0ol.
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
DJT

Post by DJT »

I am pretty docile at school, only when I get home do i let my anger and frustration out. I really feel sorry for those poor UT bots, and my girlfriend's Sims
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - Facebook
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

i've been playing games since as far back as i can remeber and look how i turned out? :wink:

seriously these ppl need to get a wake up call, games are not making ppl more violent its the world around us that is doing that eg: the stress of money, living, g/f's/wives :wink:, and just in general the fast paced world we live in.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DJT

Post by DJT »

Have to agree about the GF's part :D
Clarke Media - Facebook
Master-K

Post by Master-K »

you know playing GTA wont make you run out and start stealing cars and killing people, but i do beleive that in subtle ways it can affect your general behavior, i mean here you are playing this bad *** gangster shooting talking smack and doing crazy stuff, then when you turn off the game, i believe that it still in small ways determanse you short term out look and interaction with the world around you, you might not see a huge change, but you might swear at you sister or snap at your parents for something small. Games dont make you get crazy but i believe that it opens doors that allow you to act maybe not as you would normaly act. You might be a bit more aggresive, or you might just speak a bit more differently, nothing big enough to get you to go out and murder but in the small stuff it could affect you.

I have played games such as DOOM 3 and man i get freaking scared when i played that game, thats why i never even got past the first level, its so freaking demonic i felt so bad just playing it. I am a christian and playing that really made me feel bad, i mean it may be just a game but why would i want to fill my head with junk about demons and play around like that, when there are real demons out there affecting and hurting people, now its just a nice little game for me to play with, no man its rubbish its just allowing junk into my life. Thats why i hate games like Quake and Doom, so freaking demonic!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

dude dont want to bash you but... thats the point of Doom and Qauke to make you scared :roll: seriously you think a demon is going to jump out of the screen and eat you alive? WTH <excuse the pun> how is Doom filling your head about demons? what is it filling your head with? what junk has it brought into your life? and last question <again dont mean to bash> but are you so gullible that you believe everything that happens in the game? :?

i will say this again, i have played every type of game under the sun <from gory fps, to hehe the seriously bad qaulity pr0n games> and people do not even think that I am violent, so i think your POV cant apply to all, neither can mine, what it does apply to is gullible ppl who cant control themselves. that all comes down to how you are raised not the game...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Master-K

Post by Master-K »

You dont have a clue about what i was trying to say. Are you that dumb (not trying to bash) that you think, that i think a demon is going to jump out of the screen and eat me? Dude i dont want to give the devil an inch in my life, and by playing a game like that, im taking something that is serious and making it into a nice little scary game, when in actual fact demons are nothing to be playing with. It may just be a game, but my spirit is uneasy when i play games like that. My gimeny cricket is telling me that its not a good idea, i think your gimeny cricket was killed long time ago. (if you dont know who gimeny cricket is, go watch pinokio)

EDIT: Im off for now, will come back tomorrow hopefully.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

i must listen to a cricket? dude thats either A: an illusion could be the devil trying to speak here and B: a really stupid way to argue a point.

now that i see what you are trying to say i can argue a little better. let me ask you this what are your fav tv show proggis? what were the last 5 movies you watched? and you think games like doom are the problem?

*edit* dont take what i say personally, am just trying to show a point here, plus im bored :lol:
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

no i get what master k is going on about because i also get the same feeling... i just don't feel right..

as for jerimy cricket he was reffering to you rcoinsience (sorry my spelling really bad)

i still feel that Age limit games are important!! take a 8 year old and let him play doom3 i don't think its cool man... i still agree withthe mior effecting sstuff but on a whole you don't get effected..

Wait there is one thing that does come to mind.... COUNTER STRIKE
that a evil game... people change when playing that!! just look at what happens when they die or they suspect someone of cheating.... they rage 8O lol that game definatley can raise stress levels :P
Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

rustypup wrote:old news this one.. and keeps getting rehashed by whatever politico takes it on as flavour of the month... despite the fact that there is no such link ...

the reason this works so well politically is that, for a modicum of effort, the idiots can appear to be some sort of vangaurd in the protection of the kids.. it's absolute twonk. kids do not "get" out of a game what parents "get".. they have no reference for the mature content, in the same way that cartoons have different interpretations depending on your mental acuity... if you perceive something to be unsuitable, there is a good chance the perception is entirely yours...

i find the whole issue to be laughable in the extreme.. that they persist in hammering on about this has got to go down in the history books as one of man's most embarrassing moments...
My thoughts exectly
Fallen-Angel

Post by Fallen-Angel »

OK here is my story.

I've been sitting infront of a computer from the day I learned to sit upright, and nothing has changed (exept that I got a job, made some friends and got a girlfriend) and when I don't spend tme with any of those, you can find me infront of my pc playing evil games tha let me kill innocent people. Now I am evil minded, I am a goth, I don't like sunlight and only have black clothes. People walk the other way when they see me comming and a Priest would have a haert attack if he were to enter my room. But up to this day, I never even been in a fight, I never hit somone or sumthing and I don't intend to. Games did not make me the way I am, the life I lived made me the way I am.

They blame the games, but we need not fear. The market for Gaming is so huge that no President with his head up his backside will be able to stop it