ADSL, ISDN, SATELITE????

Network problem solving and tweaks
feverdj

ADSL, ISDN, SATELITE????

Post by feverdj »

OK, i know all about ADSL & ISDN. o can somebody enlighten me about SATELITE connections offered by Tiscali/Worldonline & MWEB?

- What d/l speeds do u get?
- Does it work with FTP, Kazaa, IRC etc.....

Thanks 8) 8)
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

You still need to dial-up via analogue modem or ISDN, so bear those costs in mind. It's also download-only (yeah, I know about Sentech allowing uploads as well, but there are heavy costs involved) - you still send data (email, files, etc) via your landline.

Second, each user gets allocated 64k - that's typically guaranteed between the satellite and your dish only. If half the registered satellite users are online, each person gets the spare bandwidth - ie, yours would go up to 128k. It can, of course, go higher still, depending on the amount of users on the satellite at that point in time - nobody can say what speed you will get, but I've seen downloads at 90 kbytes/sec (that's very rare, though - count on 6-12).

No ports are restricted (unlike ADSL), so you can use the full bandwidth with whatever application you like, but you need two pieces of hardware - a satellite-card (about R1,000 from Wol and R2,000 from Mweb) plus a dual-LNB (Low Noise Blocker) - the "eye" on the end of your dish - which you get installed by your local TV-satellite guys. A dual-LNB had two cables running from it, one of which goes into your DSTV-decoder as usual, the other plugs into the satellite-card inside your PC.
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
feverdj

Post by feverdj »

So in your opinion, which is better for large file downloading eg. games, movies, iso's?
ISDN or Satelite- ADSL will only be available in 2005 here so that's out of the question!!
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

Hey feverdj, To do the supposedly illegal things that you wann do, i would strongly suggest ADSL but please remember that there is a 3Gb cap per month to prevent people from abusing the service i.e. downloading games,iso's and movies! But ur still allowed to use the internet locally! Please remember that the cost involved is quite high with adsl as with all other high-speed connections!
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TheWall

Post by TheWall »

Ill suggest ADSL. Might have a 3gig cap and the bandwith is not garanteed like lease lines but up 24/7. # gig is plenty. At the beginning you might not think so but give it a few months...
TheWall

Post by TheWall »

under correction the cost involved with ADSL is about R980 (thats for everyting) Not bad when you look at lease lines about R10 000 for a 256k line(garanteed bandwith)