Discipline Thread (POLL)

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.

Discipline explained

Poll ended at 18 Aug 2006, 13:43

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 67

lancelot

Discipline Thread (POLL)

Post by lancelot »

Should this thread actually exist? Do you as posters want to know why certain measures have been taken or do you feel it is a private matter? Would you prefer to just have tags appear or a ban take place without any reference as to why?
The thread was my idea, based on what I would like to see, it was then agreed upon and posted. However I am always open to suggestions and it has been suggested that this thread is superfluous.
Now tell us, what do you want?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yes, i would love to know why disciplinary actions are taken.

For example, Zell. Zell was one of this forum's most well known members, and just about everyone loved the guy. I would love to know why he was banned. Sure, it's got nothing to do with me, but i believe that this community deserves explanations.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Well vote!
Anthropoid21

Post by Anthropoid21 »

I believe that Zell's banning will have a loong list of reasons - hey he is well known... but ...
lordsnake

Post by lordsnake »

I`m white DAE_JA_VOO on this one
~Evil Serpent to the Pride~
Psypher

Post by Psypher »

IMHO Mods have a job to do and some people might not understand actions taken and the fact that Mods are up front about it means they are doing what is required and not just running around banning for stupid reasons. I think that explanations are great but I don't think that it should spark debates/questioning of mods and their actions. If you break the rules face the punishment (equal to your crime).

Voted Yes
"Sooooo... If I were a sub atomic, semi-conductive, solid at room temperature, element what would I be... hmm... Is this completely necessary Doc?"
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

lancelot wrote:Well vote!
I did ;)
Sojourn

Re: Discipline Thread (POLL)

Post by Sojourn »

lancelot wrote:Should this thread actually exist? Do you as posters want to know why certain measures have been taken or do you feel it is a private matter? Would you prefer to just have tags appear or a ban take place without any reference as to why?
The thread was my idea, based on what I would like to see, it was then agreed upon and posted. However I am always open to suggestions and it has been suggested that this thread is superfluous.
Now tell us, what do you want?
I totally understand why this thread was created Lance, dont take it as a personal attack because I dont agree with the system. It just looks unprofessional. As a middle-way, why dont you guys move it to an area where its NOT in the last 15 messages list. This way people can get the info they want, but it wont be "advertised" so to speak. I am not voting on this.

s

EDIT - I have voted yes, because I believe the tread serves a purpose. But that YES carries the condition of the thread not made available in the top 15 list.

s
Last edited by Sojourn on 11 Aug 2006, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

I've never been one to step on other's toes (unless they start something first) I'll then have my say and get it over with *points finger at floppy and wit_skapie*

I voted yes, because I always want to see where the line/s is/are drawn... I enjoy this forum and would hate to be banned, besides it's pretty easy to start a new account, but once you have been on the forums for a while people get to know you and you get to know them... I'd hate to lose my ID and try rebuild the friendships that i've made... besides, what's a friendship that starts off with a lie?

Not that you should believe everything you hear, especially on a forum, but most of the guys here are trustworthy.
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Yes, i would love to know why disciplinary actions are taken.

For example, Zell. Zell was one of this forum's most well known members, and just about everyone loved the guy. I would love to know why he was banned. Sure, it's got nothing to do with me, but i believe that this community deserves explanations.
Ditto!! I liked Zell. He was a cool guy. I also want to know... It might be "unprofessional" but then wheres the excitement?

EDIT: Actually, you could just have a dictatorship, and do what you want. The problem is that mods here care too much what others think, and they explain themselves, where you shouldnt have to.. but I voted yes, cos I enjoy a good saga while I am waiting for a new bleach episode...
Last edited by LordRage on 11 Aug 2006, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

I voted no. I'd say yes if the thread were unlocked for people to contest their punishment or whatever but other than that, it's none of anyone elses business other than the affected person. No one deserves any explainations even though a part of me would really like to know what happened. It's almost like a gossip thread or something. Let's be honest...that thread doesn't do a dam thing other than tell people what happened.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
capanno

Post by capanno »

I think the current system is fine, BUT, there seems to be diffrent standards between mods/admins. for example, the rules say your not allowed to swear, in any way. Yet, maxxis has a WTF in his avatar. Ive seen other mods say WTF too. Someone might think something is funny, while someone else might strip sy moer. Mods soemtimes do things that others dont agree with. How can this be? Alot of the decisions are based on personal feelings, and this is really making me angry (this is relative, since this is just a forum). Its unfair. Im sorry to say this, but jee is an example of this. She deleted my thread about "the worst member gallery pics". I said it was just a joke. Everyone who replied thought it was funny. I know for a fact that this is personal. She hates me. Ive pm'd her several times to find out wtf i did. She ignores me. Because of this 1GOR has a better chance of becoming a moderator than me. :P This is an example of the above. What rule did I break with that thread? Sometimes I feel that some mods/admins should be stripped from their titles, and new ones re-elected from the ground up.

This post will probably be deleted, and I dont care. I hope some of you might read it and hear what I have to say.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I don't care either way.

The only reason I flame here and there is because I get away with it per se.

I agree with Sojourn. You oke's are too lenient.
Anthropoid21

Post by Anthropoid21 »

LordRage wrote:liked Zell.
He aint on mars man.. he's coming back...
Last edited by Anthropoid21 on 11 Aug 2006, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
Psypher

Post by Psypher »

capanno wrote:I think the current system is fine, BUT, there seems to be diffrent standards between mods/admins. for example, the rules say your not allowed to swear, in any way. Yet, maxxis has a WTF in his avatar. Ive seen other mods say WTF too. Someone might think something is funny, while someone else might strip sy moer. Mods soemtimes do things that others dont agree with. How can this be? Alot of the decisions are based on personal feelings, and this is really making me angry (this is relative, since this is just a forum). Its unfair. Im sorry to say this, but jee is an example of this. She deleted my thread about "the worst member gallery pics". I said it was just a joke. Everyone who replied thought it was funny. I know for a fact that this is personal. She hates me. Ive pm'd her several times to find out wtf i did. She ignores me. Because of this 1GOR has a better chance of becoming a moderator than me. :P This is an example of the above. What rule did I break with that thread? Sometimes I feel that some mods/admins should be stripped from their titles, and new ones re-elected from the ground up.

This post will probably be deleted, and I dont care. I hope some of you might read it and hear what I have to say.
You raise the eternal quetion "who will police the police"
"Sooooo... If I were a sub atomic, semi-conductive, solid at room temperature, element what would I be... hmm... Is this completely necessary Doc?"
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I'm sorry, but i must agree on some of Cappano's points here. ESPECIALLY about the bad language.

Maxxis and i get along well, and Maxxis, i'm not attacking you here, but your language does not conform to the rules of this forum. Whenever you are remotely upset about something, all i see in your posts is

"you little *****"

and "STFU" and "WTF" all over the place.

I don't think that's fair. If you can do it, every single member should be able to (thank goodness that's not the case.)

And dude, i'm not attacking you. PLease don't be offended.
capanno

Post by capanno »

Yes maxxis is a very cool oke! :)
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

We come online to discuss topics that would not neccessarily be acceptable in the real world. There are certain issues that are tabboo but to lock every "different" thread that comes along is annoying. I have done some naughty things in the past couple of weeks. Hey my thread on TV shows was not acceptable and I agreed with LAnce's punishment and opinion but my comments concerning ISP account info, while being a blatent lie, was still my opinion and I feel that any punishment concerning that was unfair. In fact Jee basically flamed my bottom. DOn't get me wrong, I have great respect for the mods, ihave met a few (anakha and Jee) and I found them to be nice people. They have been selected to do a job and I guess they are doing it. But all incidences should be handled in a public manner, if the people involved agree, and all the parties should have their say, A Courtroom thread would be a nice idea. A public place where people can be judged and have a place to air their voice.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

capanno wrote:say this, but jee is an example of this. She deleted my thread about "the worst member gallery pics". I said it was just a joke. Everyone who replied thought it was funny.
I would have deleted that thread too. How would you feel if someone took your pic and for some weird reason declared it was the worst pic on the forum? Not nice, is it? Even if you try to excuse it by saying it's just a joke.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Wtf isn't bad. I like to use it too. I love starting my posts with "where's the food."

capanno, that thread was wrong.
Last edited by cYcLIc on 11 Aug 2006, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

@ Anthro: I just spoke to zell. He did not beg to be banned, he has a VERY valid reason behind wanting to leave the forum.
capanno

Post by capanno »

Im not trying to "insult them by pretending its a joke". People take this place too seriously. :roll:

A courtroom is a good idea. Give us a fighting chance against the machine! :lol: :P

edit: joke. If something like a courtroom would appear it would be flippen hilarious. This place is turning into the matrix. We just need VR goggles.
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:@ Anthro: I just spoke to zell. He did not beg to be banned, he has a VERY valid reason behind wanting to leave the forum.
so what is it???
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)
Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

BAN!!! Ban 'em all!!! :twisted:
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Ag no, please stop PMing me and asking why Zell left, i'm not telling anyone.