Browser Review: IE, FireFox, Chrome or Opera, who's better?

Any software related topics go in here.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: Browser Review: IE, FireFox and Opera who's better?

Post by GreyWolf »

Just went for a visit to another client of our. Major travel agency, and guess what? They are running Firefox! I nearly did my job for free :)
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

hobojvr wrote:Thankfully there is a 2003 interface ribbon for 2007(10?) that makes office usable once more.
The menu system for 2007/10 is far superior to what it was in 2003.
hobojvr

Post by hobojvr »

Stuart wrote:
hobojvr wrote:Thankfully there is a 2003 interface ribbon for 2007(10?) that makes office usable once more.
In my experience it's a love it or hate it thing. I do really like and use the referencing database feature of 2007, makes typing a thesis bearable as referencing is a real pain.

I can generally find commands much faster using the menus than hunting around the ribbons. UBit office menu plug-in for those interested.

As for the browsers, I think Firefox has the edge. Some plug-ins are really useful. Stuff like rows of tabs, colouring, grouping, etc makes heavy browsing much easier. I used Opera for a long time but FF became so good it's all I use now. The personas are nice to personalise the interface a bit. IE8 threw me off IE. Took "long" to open new tabs. Made browsing a pain for me. IE9 beta is out, might try it out.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Stuart wrote:
+1

Some people are just against progress, damn counter revolutionaries. Probably still use XP as well... :P
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

ryanrich wrote:
Stuart wrote:
+1

Some people are just against progress, damn counter revolutionaries. Probably still use XP as well... :P
Some of us like using out keyboard to do things, especially in Word and Excell. The ribbon is kinda counterproductive if you're used to doing that. :?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
hobojvr

Post by hobojvr »

ryanrich wrote:
Stuart wrote:
+1

Not quite...I run Server 2008R2 at home from DreamSpark with the Windows 7 eye-candy switched on :mrgreen:
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Nope - the sortcuts still work. 2007 is AWESOME!
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

How did a browser thread end up being a Microsoft Office thread?
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Tribble wrote:Nope - the sortcuts still work. 2007 is AWESOME!
Yes, if you know them from the top of your head... :?
Ron2K wrote:How did a browser thread end up being a Microsoft Office thread?
Welcome to the Forums Ron2000 - feel free to introduce yourself in the applicable thread.
Oh, and a word of warning - very few threads on these forums stay on subject and ALL get spammed... ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Very well then. Temporarily locking this thread until you lot learn to behave.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Who is spamming, the MS ribbon and simplistic design of newer MS products is quite relevant I thought, when talking about IE9. :?

Anyways, I quite like the look MS is going with, very similar to their Windows Phone 7 style. IE9 Beta is still going well in my testing, very quick and looks sleek with Win 7!
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

OK fine, unlocked. But keep the thread on topic this time. ;)
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Ron2K wrote:OK fine, unlocked. But keep the thread on topic this time. ;)
I didn't go off topic, haha.

So anyways. It seems to me like Opera is sort of stagnating and isn't developing as fast as the likes of FF, Chrome and IE, anybody else notice that?
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Browser Review: IE, FireFox, Chrome or Opera, who's bett

Post by Tribble »

Yep - it is not even keeping up with my BB browser. Stopped using it completely now. Opera just seems sluggish.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

For a good look at its newfound capabilities, browse within IE9 to www.afrihost.com.

:mrgreen:
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Yes, that is a bug, and people are aware of it:

Amazing how people ridicule a browser that's still in beta. If you use the compatibility view it looks fine:

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Historical Browser Statistics

Outdated, unfortunately, but still a nice representation.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Today Opera software revealed some exciting news about what new features Opera 11 will contain. Most notably will be the support for extensions.
My Opera wrote: Opera 11 will have Extensions

Good news, everybody! Today, at Up North Web, Opera Extensions was confirmed to be a feature of Opera 11.

What are Opera Extensions?

Extensions in Opera is a way for you to easily add new functionality to your Opera browser experience. Developers can easily create extensions using open standards (HTML5, CSS, JavaScript) and supported APIs.

Extensions will be based on the W3C Widget specifications and this is being considered for an Open Standard effort.

Will Opera Extensions be similar to extensions in other browsers?

Yes, Opera Extensions will be similar in some ways and we have tried to make it easy to port extensions from certain browsers.

We are committed to open web standards and this is an important part of our strategy, so if you find us deviating from other solutions out there, this might be why.

What does an extension look like?

Some extensions have user interface elements, but not all. An extension can for example add a button next to the Google Search field with a popup menu when you click on it. Other extensions don't have user interfaces at all, but run in the background.

How will I install Opera Extensions?

Once you have Opera 11 installed you can click on an extension and a small Install-window will appear. Click 'Install' and you're done. You can also drag and drop an extension onto Opera Desktop if you have an extension stored on your computer.

What kind of APIs will you support?

With the first iteration of Opera Extensions we are focusing on open web standards and 'getting it right'. Our alpha release supports injectable JavaScript, callouts, certain UI items and a basic Tabs and Windows API.

How can I get Opera Extensions?

Opera Extensions is not available yet. Once Opera 11 is out, you will be able to fully enjoy and use Opera Extensions.

Where can I find developer information on extensions?

Once Opera 11 Alpha is out, you will be able to find all the information you need to develop and publish extensions on our developer site Dev Opera.

Where can I find Opera 11?

Opera 11 Alpha will be made available soon at http://www.opera.com/browser/next/.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Naughty M$ - no biscuit :lol:...

for those who find links complicated, alien, creatures: - in news that only shocks microsoft devotees, mickeysoft bust for cheating on their sunspider test in IE9...

fastest browser my hairy nipples...

<incomming fanbois in 3...2...>
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Xiphan wrote:Today Opera software revealed some exciting news about what new features Opera 11 will contain. Most notably will be the support for extensions.
My Opera wrote: Opera 11 will have Extensions

Good news, everybody! Today, at Up North Web, Opera Extensions was confirmed to be a feature of Opera 11.

What are Opera Extensions?

Extensions in Opera is a way for you to easily add new functionality to your Opera browser experience. Developers can easily create extensions using open standards (HTML5, CSS, JavaScript) and supported APIs.

Extensions will be based on the W3C Widget specifications and this is being considered for an Open Standard effort.

Will Opera Extensions be similar to extensions in other browsers?

Yes, Opera Extensions will be similar in some ways and we have tried to make it easy to port extensions from certain browsers.

We are committed to open web standards and this is an important part of our strategy, so if you find us deviating from other solutions out there, this might be why.

What does an extension look like?

Some extensions have user interface elements, but not all. An extension can for example add a button next to the Google Search field with a popup menu when you click on it. Other extensions don't have user interfaces at all, but run in the background.

How will I install Opera Extensions?

Once you have Opera 11 installed you can click on an extension and a small Install-window will appear. Click 'Install' and you're done. You can also drag and drop an extension onto Opera Desktop if you have an extension stored on your computer.

What kind of APIs will you support?

With the first iteration of Opera Extensions we are focusing on open web standards and 'getting it right'. Our alpha release supports injectable JavaScript, callouts, certain UI items and a basic Tabs and Windows API.

How can I get Opera Extensions?

Opera Extensions is not available yet. Once Opera 11 is out, you will be able to fully enjoy and use Opera Extensions.

Where can I find developer information on extensions?

Once Opera 11 Alpha is out, you will be able to find all the information you need to develop and publish extensions on our developer site Dev Opera.

Where can I find Opera 11?

Opera 11 Alpha will be made available soon at http://www.opera.com/browser/next/.
What is this huge sig that you have showing? I would certainly consider nuking it.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:<incomming fanbois in 3...2...>
HOW DARE YOU CRITICISE INTERNET EXPLORER I'M GOING TO FIND WHERE YOU LIVE AND SLASH YOUR TIRES AND FURTHER MORE YOU DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT GO BACK TO YOUR MOMS BASEMENT AND PLAY DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS I MODERATE AN INTERNET FORUM AND AM AN EXPERT AT EVERYTHING I.T. RELATED I CAN SAY WITHOUT A DOUBT THAT IE IS THE BEST BROWSER OF ALL TIME AND ANYONE WHO DISAGREES IS CLEARLY BRAIN DEAD OR POSSIBLY ADDICTED TO NARCOTICS STOP BROWSING THE WEB ON SAFARI ON YOUR IPHONE AND GET A LIFE AND A GIRLFRIEND BECAUSE YOU ARE DEFINITELY A VIRGIN
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Ric Romero wrote:IE exploit exposes users to risk! - the end times are nigh!
actual source without the horrible reporting in the first link
Set Internet and Local intranet security zone settings to "High" to block ActiveX Controls and Active Scripting in these zones
so... what... no BackOffice/Reporting Services?... sure.. let me go turn those off right awa.. aaargh! why are they stabbing me?!

other workarounds include registry hacks to hobble mhtml...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Hey guys I'm using RockMelt which you will point out is just Chrome in drag but it's wicked cool.

Can't wait for FF4 to come out tho.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.