It's not stupid. It's advaaaanced!

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
bondi

It's not stupid. It's advaaaanced!

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 02 Jun 2004, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

You can set up your display properties in Win 2000 so you have your taskbar, etc. on the left and use the right monitor as an additional desktop, it doesn't have to be split down the middle. It's very simple, really...
Last edited by OnlyOneKenobi on 30 Sep 2003, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Bondi, Bondi, Bondi, come on!
Look a Mac is a fine machine, no doubt about it, however there is more fun to be had on a PC!
:lol:
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

I love Macs; however, until the price comes down - and I can play the same games on it that I can play on PC, I won't be buying one.

Pity, but there it is...
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

oh come on!
bondi, you can't be serious? Ok, 24 bit color in EGA, thats impressive, but you cant take the piss out of that pic... like Obi1 said, you can set it like you want. In fact I am running Win NT 4.0 with a Matrox G400 as we speak, with 2 monitors, one monitor has this window in it, the other my e-mail. No problems...
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 02 Jun 2004, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

The thing is that everything in life needs to be set up. When you buy a blender, you need to attach a plug to the cord so that you can use it. When you buy a TV, you need to tune the channels so you can watch it. If you buy a Computer you need to load the software you want so you can use it. Anything that doesn't need to be set up is just a bonus.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Demoraliser

Post by Demoraliser »

To the man in mac-land...

Sure you like your macs, and true as it may be that the mac is ergonimically correct, i have a question for you...

HOW MUCH does your mac cost?

I have a machine thats worth about R7500, and i get about 13200 3D marks from it. How many do you get? As it is, i get about 1.76 3D marks for a rand? How many do you get?

Its a cruel world my friend, but until you get more bang for your buck from your mac, you can take your mac and shove it....
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Bondi if I didn't know any better I'd take that last post as an insult. You seem to think I live in the world of "no name brands", as you put it. My TV isn't old. It's not a no name brand. But it's not a state of the art plasma screen HD TV either.

It's not the most expensive TV, but it did require the channels to be tuned, albeit "automagically" as you said. It wasn't working right out the box. I still needed to set it up... A blender still needs a 3 prong plug attached at the end of the power cord attached to it. That still needs to be set up. I'm not going to buy a R500 blender just because it already has a plug attached right out the box... A kettle also needs a plug. A flashlight needs batteries. Things that do work out the box probably cost twice and thrice as much as the more common product.

bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 02 Jun 2004, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
phishy

Post by phishy »

bondi, do you work?
Madgic

Post by Madgic »

But, of course Bondi works, darling!

He's an Apple Polisher Supreme!

Last edited by Madgic on 18 Oct 2003, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
When life kicks you in the guts, you better be ready . . . or go to gym and build up your 6-pack!
Chromium

Post by Chromium »

Bondi,I always thought you were just bragging about your Mac.But sorry dudes and dudettes,I actually agree with Bondi.

Now don't go k@kking on my head,but as Bondi said,technology has moved on.Let's put aside our pride and honour and whatever,and let's face it:Windows is truly very prehistoric in some ways.The "page cannot be displayed" issue is true,as are hundreds of minor yet very annoying difficulties with the pc.

And afterall,you get what you pay for.Yes,Mac is expensive,but it really does outclass the rest.

So, agree or disagree,Mac IS better.In my opinion,anyway.

Bondi,if I had more money,I'd buy myself a Mac anyday.But untill then,my pc will have to do.
phishy

Post by phishy »

Madgic wrote:But, of course Bondi works, darling!

He's an Apple Polisher Supreme!

haha, sorry, found that quite amusing
AngryRabbit

Post by AngryRabbit »

Demoraliser wrote:To the man in mac-land...

Sure you like your macs, and true as it may be that the mac is ergonimically correct, i have a question for you...

HOW MUCH does your mac cost?

I have a machine thats worth about R7500, and i get about 13200 3D marks from it. How many do you get? As it is, i get about 1.76 3D marks for a rand? How many do you get?

Its a cruel world my friend, but until you get more bang for your buck from your mac, you can take your mac and shove it....
Demoraliser, you remind me of myself a year ago: Stupid and far too quick to judge. Where in Bondi's post does he claim to get more 3D Marks than you per buck? Huh?
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 02 Jun 2004, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
naughty

Post by naughty »

well well well - at least one thing that i agree with about with bondi is that OSX is a far better operating system than windows as are lots of other unix based O/S'es out there like linux etc

bondi imho you score lots of points for that but the reason why people would be reluctant to change is because the idea of change itself conjures up images that they would be noobs at something once again which is why people are totally abhorrent of the idea - which is why you see the fact that people would make posts of the "macs suck" variety - it is far better to say that something you dont understand sucks then it would be to try and learn more about it and to compare it eg to learn a new operating system - I feel that most users would rather like to use something that they are familiar with and that is where microsoft have an edge

longhorn is also going to be a "same ***** - different day" product from microsoft as would their 64 bit O/S for athlon64 thus when i do get my athlon64 system (only need to invest in a new mobo and chip to do so which is why i cannot change platforms right now) i will try out the 64 bit version of linux

again IN MY VERY HUMBLE OPINION if apple had stuck to only writing operating systems that would have rivalled microsofts and if those could be used on standard pc's then microsoft would have not been as successful as they are today and apple would not have 11% of the pc market (your figures) but would have had a large figure of the operating system market and would have done far more than trod on microsofts toes

in fact apple does use lots of interesting and some standard hardware but it is not user configurable and thus it is of limited value to the enthusiast market that i fall into - im a great fan of the "bits and bobs" pc market (again in your words) and i love to see something that ive put together myself - being a bit of a diy'er but a friend of mine is into graphics design and desktop publihing - and i didnt have any reason to not reccomend that he get a g5 and even though he cannot afford the dual one he is getting the best single processor one - he had a choice between the dual g5 and a small cheapie lcd monitor or the lower single proc g5 and a 23" apple cinema display so i told him to get the latter - did i make a mistake there or would it be better to get the dual g5 and say a standard pc lcd monitor that would work with the dvi connector and (aim to upgrade the monitor later)

either way the apple route makes a lot of sense for my friend since he really isnt a gamer and he will still be getting a 9700pro with his machine edit: just forgot to add that id probably go green with envy if he gets the 23" cinema diplay every time that i walk into his place cos thats a killer monitor and i love it to bits - and im sure it would whack the pants off my samsung 17" lcd in every aspect
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 02 Jun 2004, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

No matter what anyone tells me, I have to say that MacOSX is not what its cracked up to be.
Why do I say this? Not because I'm spitefull, not because I like Mr.Gate (far from it). No, I say this because of the experience I have.

Bondi, when I told you about my problems, you immediately assumed I had done something wrong, you would not even consider the fact that maybe, just maybe, one of your precious apples is not as perfect as you say it is. well I followed your advice, got the patch. And guess what? IT STILL CRASHES! You could say it is a nice Os when it actually tell syou "this program has UNEXPECTEDLY crashed", WELL NO S**T! The point is it crashes!

So maybe I should wait for panther or jaguar or tabby cat, cos you say that will be even MORE stable, well I have heard such promises made about other OS too, but do they deliver? er no...

So face it all you Mac lovers out there, you are no better than the rest of us win users...
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 02 Jun 2004, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Demoraliser

AngryRabbit

Post by Demoraliser »

To agryrabbit,

who are you calling stupid? I was simply making a point that while macs are rock solid, it boils down to economics...and most ppl would agree here. We all want a machine that performs and hardly falls over, but such ***** costs man...and i dont need some arrongant prick rubbing it my face 'mine is better than your...'

If I could afford a G5 i would have it on my desk by now...
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 02 Jun 2004, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Madgic

Post by Madgic »

Stop it, stop it, stop it ! ! ! Ya got us all d r o o l i n g !

Bondi, babe, one question - I don't see any seating! I know you're into health and fitness, reflexology and massage etc, so are you ever going to give us your thoughts on the Best Computer Chair? (I'm off Topic here, I know!)

OR do you do a lot of standing?

:roll:
When life kicks you in the guts, you better be ready . . . or go to gym and build up your 6-pack!