Tell Us What You Think...

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Tamsini

Tell Us What You Think...

Post by Tamsini »

It's that time of the month again! We need you to tell us whether this is a succeed or a fail...

A 'real world' version of Doom is being developed which enables mobile phone users to battle it out with one another on the streets. The phones are used to zap opponents while the screens display the Doom environment. GeoVector develops location-based services using pointing technology which enables people to get information about objects such as buildings simply by pointing the device at them and they are in negotiations with network operators at the moment to implement this technology.

Ignoring all the issues of network operators and so forth - what do YOU think of this idea?
brabham

Post by brabham »

I think there will be a lot of people blaming their cellphones for bruised toes, knees and foreheads!!! How dumb is this???? I think this could lead to a whole new kind of road rage! :x
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

I think someone will probably end up getting run over by a car while crossing the street trying to play Doom on his cellphone. It's a bad idea! Some things are meant only to be done in certain places.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Storm

Post by Storm »

It sounds like fun, but think about the costs involved to set this up, not to mention your telephone bill as I assume you'll have to be connected to play?

Probably a fail, as it would be too expensive to implement.

IRC.NIXUS.ORG #PCFORMAT or GUNDAM.ETHEREAL.WEB.ZA
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Ooooooh Boy, there are probably enough idiots who would join in, so who knows?
rubber_toad

Post by rubber_toad »

that rules! i want one
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Nice idea, but it'd be too expensive - for me, anyway
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Nice Technology, BAD Idea. People walking around playing with their phones? Sounds like the GameBoy Adds. Like Only1 said, People will get hurt. And the bill will be huge. If GPRS costs R40 per 1MB, How much will people have to fork out for a death match? I'd Rather go and play paintball with my Buds if I want a real life Doom experience.
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

It is a bunch of GEMORS I say, GEMORS :!: sorry for sayen this but only Americans will go this far. In Europe they will take it to the UN Counsil, in Asia they will make Nuclear Weapons out of it, and in Africa it's just downright 2 expensive.

CAPISH

Damn I'm in a mad mood for a friday :oops: :cry: :wink:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Would different phones = different weapons \ armour \ damage?

Like, if I'm playing on a 2110, will that equal
pellet gun \ 0 armour \ 5 damage

And a 9210 could be something like
death ray \ 1000 armour \ 500 damage

That would be even more fun, and it would help boost cellphone sales too.
MotoGuzzi

Post by MotoGuzzi »

I prefer to see where I'm going, so when walking/driving this game idea is out, but now that I think of it, in the dark it does not matter, so lying in the bath while G-Friend is in her bath, it could be fun.....though, it will probably ruin my eyes after a few games..Hope I don't drop the phone in the bath if I gets horny.
NiteShade

Post by NiteShade »

Well, I'm American, SquattingDog....and I think the idea is ridiculous. I agree with most of the people above. It could be very dangerous. The idea just does not appeal to me at all. If I want to play games, that is why I have a pc :)
Dra90n3ddy

Post by Dra90n3ddy »

For the price of that phone I can buy myself a new Pc and play doom3 properly like it was meant to be played
Life fears death but lives to die!
MotoGuzzi

Post by MotoGuzzi »

Buying a million dollar grafics card and then turning to a cellphone with an image that sucks, I agree is rediculous, but you never know, it might help to sell cellphones. My experience is that when you need a cellphone the most, it does not receive or have poor signal. Grafic card manufacturers, be happy, they cant enlarge a cellphone's screen, cause then it's not a must-have gadget anymore, so I'll stick to my PC for a game.

>He-he, turning a celphone into a watertight vibrator might take off like a bush-fire!!
jbayman

Post by jbayman »

I think there are two sides to this: a positive and a negative (although, under the right circumstances negative can be swayed a bit more to the positive side).

Firstly (And I'm totally ignoring cost on this one), negative is People getting run over while crossing a road, people stealing your phone to get in on the action etc.

Positive: This can be really cool, for a start, maybe later we can move into a fully virtual reality setup.

Bringing negative to positive: Have a designated area (Like abandoned little ghost town, warehouse etc.) for playing the game. Although - then you can just as well play paintball.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

well, lets see,
how much fun is it going around pointing your phone at people and zapping them? it might only be impressive if you have a polyphonic phone, at least there would be some immersion with the sound effects, but I rat the "fun factor" of this venture to be about 0. frankly as many of you have said, I'd rather go and blast someone with a paint gun, or in the virtual world...
All the problems concerning people running into cars, and it costing a lot etc, what do those things matter if its as boring as watching paint dry. In fact people might get so bored, they might actually start jumping infront of cars to get their heart rate above 5 bpm.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Tamsini wrote:The phones are used to zap opponents while the screens display the Doom environment.
Apparently you'd need to look at the screen on your phone - this will display the "level" around you. I guess it's kinda like a gameboy combined with a tv-game laser gun. So you'll have graphics, etc. and sound effects, but instead of playing on a PC and connecting via the LAN or internet, it'll use GPRS or whatever for positioning.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
jee

Post by jee »

I would not like to be a teacher...
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

well, shame for the people with simple dot-matrix screens then...
but that sucks even if you do have a color screen...
I mean whats the point? you can see the environment around you, why have a stupid little represantation on a little cellphone screen?

no the idea is just plain brainless. Unless you have a pair of high quality 3d glasses that hook up to your cellphone, and some sort of "dummy" gun to carry around so that you actually get the feel of packing a flack cannon...

nope, all 4 thumbs down, maybe in a couple of years...
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

hey I said flack cannon!
thats: f-l-a-c-k c-a-n-n-o-n
jbayman

Post by jbayman »

You left out one star there Grey.. :D :wink:
AngryRabbit

Post by AngryRabbit »

What a great idea - a telephone that doubles as a lazer gun! Hey, why stop there, lets make toasters that can rake the garden!
Law

Post by Law »

I say it's a goverment conspiracy to get gamers off there rear ends and exersise. But i say we are pure bread athletes honing our skills in the attempt to beat the Computer then the guys at the local lan then The World. :D

MAY THE CHEESE BE WITH YOU!
{PK} Law