128K ISDN Dial-up

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
insane

128K ISDN Dial-up

Post by insane »

Hey ppl, :lol: I would just like to know something, I know that an ISDN connection usually has 2 lines of 64k each. If my ISP offers a 128k connection, how do I go about in connecting both 64k lines to my ISP. I have called my ISP and they do support a 128k connection, but they supply me with 2 usernames for the connection. I assume that I need to have 2 dailup windows open to connect to the internet sothat I can get the 128k connection. Is my assumption correct? Can anyone please give me some more info about a 128k ISDN connection and how to configure everything.

Much appreciated :D
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

You need:

1. Telkom's 2a NTU (Network Termination Unit) installed - 2a means 128k-capable.
2. A 128k ISDN TA (Terminal Adapter - but everyone just calls it a modem).
3. A 128k ISDN account.

First time I've ever heard of a 128k account having two usernames - usually you just get one. Your modem automatically takes care of both 64k channels on dialup, so there's nothing for you to set up apart from 1 dialup-connection profile - which your ISP's Tech Support should help you with anyway.
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
insane

Post by insane »

Yip Very strange that I need 2 usernames. :roll: Do you know where to enable the multilink function in ISDN? Are there perhaps any good websites where I can get screenshots for ISDN config ect? :D

Thanx
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Depends on the modem - try Google for screenshots, or ask your ISP.

My Iraq pics
SadistiK

Post by SadistiK »

Hey

Umm Thrall err No.

You don't need ISDN 2a for 128K access you can use ISDN 2 for it aswell.

Basicly what the a means you get 2 analogue ports with your ISDN Terminal (the box you plug your lines into :P).

Only thing with 2a is that you can't use both digital lines (ie for the internet at 128k) and a analogue port,

U can either

2 x Digital (128K) = Both Ports
1x Digital (64K) + 1 Analogue = Both Ports

I'm not totally sure about using

2x Analogue = Both Ports.

As for your isp you have to have an 128k dial-up account.

You don't need 2 usernames and passwords that's BS. Use one acc + psw click the multilink box and your set. Violà you've got 128K access.

Remember you get billed for both lines ie 128K = R14 (with infinate call)

But if I may ask would you want to use 128K? Then u could almost go for ADSL. And seeing as I've heard rumors that the prices are gonna drop and they're (hopefully) gonna lift the cap I would go for ADSL.....

Just my 2 zenni
Asus Maximus Gene-Z / GEN3 | Intel i5 2500k | G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 8gb | Inno 3D GTX 580 | Silverstone TJ08-E | Corsair AX 850W | Samsung S23A950D 3D LED | Steelseries Diablo III Mouse & Headset | Steelseries 7G Keyboard | Corsair Force 3 GT 120gb
Uranium

Post by Uranium »

I don't know if this applies to all ISDN connections, but the only setup I have seen doesn't need two passwords, and I am assuming that it is a 128kb connection, even though it is supposed to be 64k, but it connects at 115k.
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

CookieMonster - quite right, sorry - NTU 2 also works. My bad :D

My Iraq pics
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Uranium wrote:...even though it is supposed to be 64k, but it connects at 115k.
115k is the port-speed, not line-speed (port-speed being the rate your modem communicates with the comm port it's attached to).

Most Windows PC's show this speed of 115k (unless the line is really ****), but it can be changed to show true speed (but only sometimes, depending on the modem) by the use of an initialisation-string for the modem.

My Iraq pics
SadistiK

Post by SadistiK »

No Offence meant by it thrall. :D

/me gives thrall a cookie....
Asus Maximus Gene-Z / GEN3 | Intel i5 2500k | G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 8gb | Inno 3D GTX 580 | Silverstone TJ08-E | Corsair AX 850W | Samsung S23A950D 3D LED | Steelseries Diablo III Mouse & Headset | Steelseries 7G Keyboard | Corsair Force 3 GT 120gb
insane

Post by insane »

Thanx ppl, you are a great help.

The reason why I don't go for ADSL is that I don't want to be limited to 3Gig download per month & therefore I'd rather go for ISDN, R14 to download for the whole weekend is more than enough. The only thing is that this story with the 2 usernames has me puzzled 8O I think I must just contact the ISP agian to find out what the real deal is
SadistiK

Post by SadistiK »

Insane

Keep in mind that you may get the same problem Storm had (refer to the ISDN thread) with your connections freezing up.

Which could end up with instead being a R14 dial-up your'e gonna get R28 or R42 bucks dial-up.....

Anyways I'm getting Isdn 2 one of these days....
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Cookiemonster wrote:No Offence meant by it thrall. :D

/me gives thrall a cookie....
None taken at all - I appreciated the correction, truth be told - accuracy is more important than my ego, no? :D

...hands Cookiemonster a beer...

My Iraq pics
insane

Post by insane »

Thanx Cookiemonster, I'll keep that in mind :P