What will become of PCF?

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Gripen

What will become of PCF?

Post by Gripen »

With the release of G.E.A.R, what is your opinion on the future of PCF? Will PCF still feature new games and publish the demo's? Or will it place more focus on hardware, gadgets and software other than games?

Since .Net turned into Net Plus it has been, in my opinion, all downhill for the mag. And just when I started to like it, what do you know, they *merge it with Intelligence and I hate it to the point where I've decided not to renew my subscription.

So, what do you guys think - will PCF remain as is?

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

G.E.A.R? What's that?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Anthropoid21

Post by Anthropoid21 »

PCF will grow grow grow grow grow legs and run away into millionare lane, the PCF team will reach stardom and they will have a following of devotees willing to sacrifice their latest PC for a moment basking in the greatness of "PCF - The Next Frontier"

I am also a Apple polisher by the way

:evil:
Azriel

Re: What will become of PCF?

Post by Azriel »

Gripen wrote:With the release of G.E.A.R, what is your opinion on the future of PCF? Will PCF still feature new games and publish the demo's? Or will it place more focus on hardware, gadgets and software other than games?

Since .Net turned into Net Plus it has been, in my opinion, all downhill for the mag. And just when I started to like it, what do you know, they *merge it with Intelligence and I hate it to the point where I've decided not to renew my subscription.

PC Format is obviously anything computer related while G.E.A.R. is for gaming. Not to say that PCF can't have a few gaming things here and there since different people like different things!
Maybe this world is another planet's hell!
ADSL Petition
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

OK, let's put a stop to the speculation right now - here's what WILL be happening. The official words from the horse's mouth (with the equine role being filled by yours truly.)

PC Format will continue on with the same kind of content that it has always had. GEAR will not impact on the gaming content in PCF... in fact, it's not even aimed at the same market. PCF is an enthusiasts mag, while GEAR is a consumer mag. Additionally, PCF is a PC mag, while GEAR covers all platforms.

While we like to think that PCF readers will buy GEAR, that may not always be the case. And so we need to supply the readers of PCF with the content they are used to, regardless of whether they buy GEAR or not.

In short, the existence of GEAR will NOT affect PCF. There. Now you know.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

What I would like to know is if G.E.A.R will become more popular than NAG? Which one is/will be better? Thats what I would like to know! What do you guys think? Now G.E.A.R has its own full mag, I saw it this month, not sure if it has a cover dvd...but that might be something for them to add to G.E.A.R. How much is G.E.A.R anywayz?
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

GEAR is R32.95. It has a cover DVD, and the launch issue sold with a free copy of FIFA 06 at selected CNA stores - although I believe it is mostly sold out on that...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I just bought myself a copy. I don't own a DS, an N-Gage, a PS2, An X-Box 360, a game cube, and a gameboy. I only own a PC, so this mag was a pure waste of money for me.

For all those guys who own 5 million different kinds of consoles, this would be a nice mag... but not for a PC enthusiast...
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Ramjet wrote:GEAR is R32.95. It has a cover DVD, and the launch issue sold with a free copy of FIFA 06 at selected CNA stores - although I believe it is mostly sold out on that...
Eastgate CNA had a load of stock on friday night, but by now it could be gone.

Sandton CNA had stock last week, but they didn't seem to be promoting the mag, it was just on the shelves with the rest, and not in the promotion display
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I just bought myself a copy. I don't own a DS, an N-Gage, a PS2, An X-Box 360, a game cube, and a gameboy. I only own a PC, so this mag was a pure waste of money for me.

For all those guys who own 5 million different kinds of consoles, this would be a nice mag... but not for a PC enthusiast...
12 of the 26 reviews are for PC
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

That means that half the mag is a waste of my time...
ruler_70

Post by ruler_70 »

I have nothing against GEAR, and i understand that its a new mag, so there will be problems, but id like to give some constructive critism. The bottom line is that the content is just not up to par. It just feels incomplete and the reviews are just not very in depth. I liked GEAR when it was a bonus mag with the PCF, but i dont think ill carry on buying it, in fact the only reason i bought it this month, and im sure a lot of people will agree, was because of the free FIFA 2006 game. I will buy for one more month and if it is still the same il wont pick it up again. Its just cannot compare to the other SA gaming mags.
Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:That means that half the mag is a waste of my time...
:lol:
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Look, people, how often do I need to say this? GEAR is a consumer mag. CONSUMER. It isn't going to be massively in-depth - not yet anyway. And no-one is forcing you to buy it either.
It is also five issues old. No magazine is perfect in that short a time, and anyone who argues with me on that fact doesn't know what they're talking about... 12 years in this industry and I have never seen a magazine that has been perfect from the word go.
Not everyone out there who plays games wants a hardcore magazine. In fact, a huge number of people are intimidated by them. That's why GEAR exists.

What really fries my mind is the fact that you guys seem to take offence to the mag, like we're forcing you to buy it when it's not your thing. Please, guys, grow up and stop bitching, ok? If you like GEAR, fine. If you don't, fine. The magazine is what it is for good reason, and if you do not fall into the targeted demographic, then so be it.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Dude. Stop it.

Anyone posting this kind of comment on this particular forum is expected. It's not aimed at you.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Now...why did you buy it then?? :wink:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Because i saw Ghost recon on the cover, and i didn't see the line at the bottom of the cover saying the mag is for all gaming.

Besides, how am i supposed to know how the mag is before i even open it?!
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Because i saw Ghost recon on the cover, and i didn't see the line at the bottom of the cover saying the mag is for all gaming.

No, you bought it for the Fifa game - I saw the dvd lying on your desk when I visited your place... LOL
owned. 8) :) 8)

s
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Eish DAE, you can be so anal sometimes. Ok, most of the time. :roll:

@Sojourn - Good pawning there mate! :lol:
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Because i saw Ghost recon on the cover, and i didn't see the line at the bottom of the cover saying the mag is for all gaming.

Dude...i'm not gonna waste my time argueing with you!
PHR33K

Re: What will become of PCF?

Post by PHR33K »

Azriel wrote:
Gripen wrote:With the release of G.E.A.R, what is your opinion on the future of PCF? Will PCF still feature new games and publish the demo's? Or will it place more focus on hardware, gadgets and software other than games?

PC Format is obviously anything computer related while G.E.A.R. is for gaming. Not to say that PCF can't have a few gaming things here and there since different people like different things!
Netplus is dead - the new thing is busness orientated which bores the ***** out of me
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

LOL...how does G.E.A.R compare to NAG? Im just curios! I cant afford to buy it this month, also they are probably all sold out, since they came with Fifa06 free!
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
jee

Post by jee »

Sorry freek, but i dont agree. The magazines that Intelligence publish all cater for a spesific audience. I must admit that I was terribly disappointed in the change of NetPlus, but it has become more like the original Intelligence that started out when cell phones where still a puppi. To a great extend both PCF and now ComputerActive have taken over that original function, and I must admit I, from a more academic viewpoint, enjoy NetPlus. However, I dont see the need for a disk with every mag and have a pile that has never been opened :D (yeah I get all three the mags plus another computer mag). I will admit that i have not bought this month's pcf... after the last cover page I really have not had the umgf to buy it.

Perhaps, Cameron, can we have the content page of each new mag on the forum?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

jee wrote: Perhaps, Cameron, can we have the content page of each new mag on the forum?
Ahh trust Her Ladyship to be the voice of reason!!! Then my local ANC guy can stop giving me the stare while I'm thumbing through the latest version.

Maybe also the list of stuff on the DVD??

PRETTY please :lol:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Actually, Jee.....the um....."girl" on the cover of the most recent PCF is not half bad.....[which coming from me is rich.].....I even used "that" PCF wallpaper for a while....
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot