Beginner in programming-need advice please

Get help on programming - C++, Java, Delphi, etc.
Pilgrim
Location: 2 shacks to the left...ask yo mama cos I am your neighbour...give me some!

Beginner in programming-need advice please

Post by Pilgrim »

Good day

Im an IT student studing Business applications(e.g. Business analysis)
and I was told by one of my lecturers that it is recommended that I do
a programming language.Im doing Oracle as a language.

Any advice?What is the easiest language to use and is just as powerful?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

okay am moving this to the programming section. Pilgrim welcome to the forums but please read the rules :wink:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
PypLaCe

Post by PypLaCe »

VB.net, Java and C++ are very good languages to learn. If you are only going to work in a business environment then you should look at VB.net net cos companies use the microsoft framework most of the time.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

check out this thread for a discussion on similar lines...

for a quick to grasp and immediate access language, defintely java/c#....
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stig
Registered Muppet

Post by Stig »

Well once you learn the ideas behind programming you can move between languages (not easily but it is not as hard as starting off). I was only taught vb.net and i can red and understand examples etc in c# without much dificulty. I find VB.net is quite an easy starter language mainly beacuse it is 'easier' to read when you start off and the VS.net IDE makes life easier!
THAT IS THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Also, Oracle is really for databases (Im sure you know)...so you gotta decide...do you wanna learn a programming language on the DB backend side (SQL, Oracle etc), or the front end side (VB.NET, C#.NET etc). A combination of the 2 is also not a bad idea...
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
PHR33K

Post by PHR33K »

c++ all the way....
delphi is a easy language to use as well - but I find it not as versatile as c++
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Beginner in programming-need advice please

Post by Kronos »

Pilgrim wrote:Im an IT student...

...it is recommended that I do a programming language
8O 8O 8O

It is only RECOMMENDED that IT students do programming?

This really gets my goat about IT Degrees and Graduates. (no direct offence to you Pilgrim)
They get high paying team leading and management jobs just because they have a degree. While those of us who can actually do the work start at the bottom of the food chain. I've experienced (and heard so many stories of) IT Graduates who get the best jobs but can't even do the work required. :x

This is why I hate these damned corporates. I wish they would just get a clue and start setting it right.
PHR33K

Post by PHR33K »

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR......

but its the way things will always be ...
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Kronos, you are quite right.
I'm studying for my programming degree - should hopefully finish end of June.
My college has a placement programme as part of the service they offer us students.
I myself have been put up for jobs that i absolutley know i'm not qualified for. I will be attending the interviews etc.. but deep down i know that if i'm hired they're gonna have to put up with a lot of questions cos i don't know much about real world programming.
I'm on my final project in VB.NET and although i now know the basics of programming there is no way i know enough to just waltz into a pretty nice job.

As usual its who you know (or in my case who my college knows) that matters not what you know.

Pilgrim according to my career guidence councillors at my college, Java, C# and VB.NET are the big 3 at the moment. Any of them will do to be honest.
And like silverback suggested a DB language like Oracle or SQL is a big help.

*According to my college a SQL/C# combo is the most sort after graduate at the moment.

Good luck with your studies :)
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
axisK

Post by axisK »

Screeper, do you by any chance study at a CTI ?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Kronos wrote:This is why I hate these damned corporates. I wish they would just get a clue and start setting it right.
What am I busy doing :?:

Anyway Pilgrim, dude, go C#. I am a Java dev and I can tell you when you start looking for jobs there are about 5 C# ones to every Java. Besides that if you really wanna do anything with Java you eather have to go Mobile dev or Web dev meaning Mobile Edition or Enterprise Edition. Which by the way is another couple of years worth of studying to do. Java is simply useless for general desktop applications. As a front end application it is just way too heavy and thus slooooooow. Go C#.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Kronos wrote:
Pilgrim wrote:Im an IT student...

...it is recommended that I do a programming language
8O 8O 8O

It is only RECOMMENDED that IT students do programming?

This really gets my goat about IT Degrees and Graduates. (no direct offence to you Pilgrim)
They get high paying team leading and management jobs just because they have a degree. While those of us who can actually do the work start at the bottom of the food chain. I've experienced (and heard so many stories of) IT Graduates who get the best jobs but can't even do the work required. :x

This is why I hate these damned corporates. I wish they would just get a clue and start setting it right.
100% agreed! I've seen this too many times during my career!
Flet_Skreen

Post by Flet_Skreen »

axisK wrote:Screeper, do you by any chance study at a CTI ?
bet you he does ...

i studied at the pretoria cti campus... wasted a full year of my life being taught the basics of windows .. like how to use a mouse and keyboard ... along with learning NOTHING in delphi ... i knew more than my lecturer did ... which is sad if u think about it ....

bleh ... oh well ... such is life hey?

hahaha ... they also promised me a high paying job wen i left ... didn't get it tho .. had to wait a year before i got a job .

:cry:
If you can't find, code it.