R372bn government project

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
jee

R372bn government project

Post by jee »

It also plans to roll out a wireless broadband network through the parastatal Sentech.

This is aimed at making business in the information and communication technology sector less costly.

By speeding up the removal of Telkom’s monopoly in the telecommunications sector, more cost reductions can be achieved. This move is seen as important to growing the South African share of the global call-centre industry.

Mlambo-Ngcuka said an estimated 100000 direct and indirect jobs could be created through the telecoms sector by 2009.
http://www.mybroadband.co.za/nephp//?m= ... le&id=1879
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
MrG-

Post by MrG- »

yeah, this looks good, but Sentech has said they wont be offering cheaper services yet, however better quality and service. Also will introduce UNMETERED calling again, this will be the first time unmetered calling comes back since Telkom took it away in the late 1980's.

With regards to broadband, and cellular calling, it all looks very promising if they can deploy it correctly!
Flytek

Post by Flytek »

let me guess. sentech is also a state controlled company?
MrG-

Post by MrG- »

yeah, they all are, except MTN, Cell C and WBS IBurst. Vodacom is part of Telkom, so yeah. lol
Flytek

Post by Flytek »

MTN in controlled by transtel afaik. transtel is controlled by transnet. and we all know who controlls transnet.
MrG-

Post by MrG- »

Really... jeez, this entire country is *%&#*#
Flytek

Post by Flytek »

i think that the current ANC plan is to make the monopolies look privetised to fool international investors.
they want this place to look like a capatalist free for all while still maintaining controll over all the critical infrastructure.

to be completely frank it's actualy hard to blkame them for this strategy.
if you look at the growth rates of the western world it looks pretty sick.
while china on the other hand is growing like crasy.

if only they could do a slightly better job by reducing the telokom pricing here we would not have that much to complain about.
besides eskom that is
MrG-

Post by MrG- »

yeah, I just think we need cheaper services in Telecoms.
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

Flytek wrote:if only they could do a slightly better job by reducing the telokom pricing here we would not have that much to complain about.
besides eskom that is
I would'nt throw the baby out with bath water if I were you.

A long time ago, I read somewhere that it was very possible and easy to use existing electricity networks for fast and reliable communication. In the states, you can even get modems that plug directly into the power socket for both electricity and communications!

And recently, there's been rumours that Eskom could contribute to the SNO by providing their existing network for this purpose. Think about it, we all have pretty good power supplies (except for the poor (s)Kaapies) coming right into every room of our homes. This could be good, very good!
What is this "Microsoft" that you speak of? Washing powder? Coffee? Correction fluid? I can't figure it out. Anyone else know?
MrG-

Post by MrG- »

yes, Eskom can get something like 100Mbps out of their cables for a man (metropolitan network). Havnt read that much about it, but could be interesting.