PlayStation 3 setback for Sony

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

PlayStation 3 setback for Sony

Post by Y0da »

News24 wrote:Tokyo - Sony will put off the release of its much awaited PlayStation 3 machine until November from its planned spring debut because of delays in finalising its next-generation disk technology, the company said on Wednesday.
Whats' really interesting is this...
News24 wrote:Kitaragi said the company is still trying to finalise the copyright protection technology for the Blu-ray disc, the format for PlayStation 3 and next-generation video for the company's electronics gadgets in the works.
Source
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Keigo

Post by Keigo »

November... no bad~ proberly can get one on Decemeber and play through the holidays :D
rats

Post by rats »

I wonder how much money these and software companies spend on time and technology to try and copy protect the stuff, which is bypassed/cracked within the first few weeks of release... Just makes the stuff more expensive, and in turn more prone for pirating.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience…
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Ag.......well......no problem.....I usually wait for these things to come down in price substantially first before I even THINK of getting one......though if the price of XBOX360 games is anything to go buy, the cost of PS3
games may well be pohibitive...in which case I may well give both consoloes a miss.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
AssHat

Post by AssHat »

True, I have very few PS2 games because they're so expensive I don't want to buy just anything, I need to know if I'm going to love (not like) the game.
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I wonder how much money these and software companies spend on time and technology to try and copy protect the stuff, which is bypassed/cracked within the first few weeks of release... Just makes the stuff more expensive, and in turn more prone for pirating.
Ain't that the truth. The honest guys get hit the hardest with having to pay more money for games, and in a day or two, the pirates get the cheaper cracked version. I remember when Valve was caliming Half-Life 2 was uncrackable. About a week later the cracked version was available. There's no point, really. Pirates will always find a way.
J2theT
Permanently Banned

Post by J2theT »

rats wrote:I wonder how much money these and software companies spend on time and technology to try and copy protect the stuff, which is bypassed/cracked within the first few weeks of release... Just makes the stuff more expensive, and in turn more prone for pirating.
i know SOny spent a couple of billion dollars on a code which was cracked by a 17 year old and a permanent marker, :lol:

Talk about ownage
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

I think a good way to stop piracy with consoles is to make the disc itself uncrackable. Like a cartridge,but with the dvd inside it, that way no one can copy it, because you wouldn't have the technology, no one used to pirate back in the day when we used cartridges. The should put a protection cover on the Dvd itself and only the console can read it. Get my drift?
I want something good to die for, to make it beautifull to live - Queens of the Stone Age-Go with the flow
rats

Post by rats »

Road_Kill wrote:I think a good way to stop piracy with consoles is to make the disc itself uncrackable. Like a cartridge,but with the dvd inside it, that way no one can copy it, because you wouldn't have the technology, no one used to pirate back in the day when we used cartridges. The should put a protection cover on the Dvd itself and only the console can read it. Get my drift?
One thing that seems apparent: I they can put it on a disk then someone else can take it off the disk. I’ll venture to say that copy protection will never be foolproof, unless they fall back to those old TV game formats or something similar. Same with everything actually, eg cars get more and more gadgets to prevent theft. But if someone wants it bad enough, they will still take it.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience…
Kankuro

Post by Kankuro »

rats wrote:
Road_Kill wrote:I think a good way to stop piracy with consoles is to make the disc itself uncrackable. Like a cartridge,but with the dvd inside it, that way no one can copy it, because you wouldn't have the technology, no one used to pirate back in the day when we used cartridges. The should put a protection cover on the Dvd itself and only the console can read it. Get my drift?
One thing that seems apparent: I they can put it on a disk then someone else can take it off the disk. I’ll venture to say that copy protection will never be foolproof, unless they fall back to those old TV game formats or something similar. Same with everything actually, eg cars get more and more gadgets to prevent theft. But if someone wants it bad enough, they will still take it.
Lol! I was about to say that... a "cover" won't help squat!

Eish, The PS3 is now gonna be released late this year, but does this mean that the "western" countries are gonna get it like mid next year instead of late this year?
[img]Removed%20by%20Cameron%20-%20Read%20the%20rules[/img]
rats

Post by rats »

Anybody got specs on the PS3, or how it will compare to the XBOX?
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

These things are made to be cracked :p not made for buying :P its all a scam :P
Kankuro

Post by Kankuro »

I hate people who flaunt that they will be getting a pirated version of a game before the proper version is out or even when it is out.
I am a student, and yet I try my hardest to buy legal games. All my Playstation games are original I am happy to say.

On the Gamespot forums, half the people are pirates... :(
rats

Post by rats »

I agree, a pirate copy is nothing to brag about and I try to be 'legal'. But with the prices of games being what it is... At this point I would rather spend the money on upgrades. What is up with the PS2 game prices anyway? Why is the same game double in price just cause it's for PS2, when you can get the same game for PC at almost half?
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

uh...
MORE than half with many games...
NFS for example...
rats

Post by rats »

And there is no way that anyone will convince me that a ‘gaming experience’ is better on a Playstation that on a PC…
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

rats wrote:...unless they fall back to those old TV game formats or something similar.
I hate to break it to you, but those cartridges were pirated all over the place, just like everything else. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but you get various reader hardware that could analyze the chips inside (I think you needed to dismantle the cartridge and do it a chip at a time), and then you could replicate it, either on a programmable chip or by just duping the circuits.
rats wrote:And there is no way that anyone will convince me that a ‘gaming experience’ is better on a Playstation that on a PC…
I feel that certain games are better on the PC, and some are better on console. Of course, I might change my mind if I got a decent pair of controllers for my PC ;) But things like Tekken and Soul Calibur just aren't available for PC.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
rats

Post by rats »

Synkronos wrote:
rats wrote:...unless they fall back to those old TV game formats or something similar.
I hate to break it to you, but those cartridges were pirated all over the place, just like everything else. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but you get various reader hardware that could analyze the chips inside (I think you needed to dismantle the cartridge and do it a chip at a time), and then you could replicate it, either on a programmable chip or by just duping the circuits.
I should have known! :lol:
Synkronos wrote:I feel that certain games are better on the PC, and some are better on console. Of course, I might change my mind if I got a decent pair of controllers for my PC ;) But things like Tekken and Soul Calibur just aren't available for PC.
Perhaps, but visa versa as well. I do rent a PS2 once in a blue moon from the video shop, but any money spend on buying will much rather go to a PC than a playstation or any thing for it.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

i miss my ps1 :cry: ....now i only got a pc dat is limited to old games cos i don't have a graphics card...:sad:
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
style121

Post by style121 »

reybol wrote:i miss my ps1 :cry: ....now i only got a pc dat is limited to old games cos i don't have a graphics card...:sad:

Well imagine the games you'd still be playing if you had a PS1. :?
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

rats wrote:Anybody got specs on the PS3, or how it will compare to the XBOX?
Uh......here you go :

http://www.playstation.com/products.html

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=306

http://ps3.ign.com/

happy reading
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
ElDiablo

Post by ElDiablo »

I've got the most fool-proof copy protection of them all, the only way to make a dvd uncrackable, is not to use a file system that a PC-based DVD-ROM can understand, the firmware in the console must be able to recognise the filesystem and that's it, pc's won't be able to read the dvd's filesystem and when you insert it into a pc, it won't even register that there is a disc in the drive.

I've also got another idea, that WILL work, only consoles will be able to read those discs, but if I tell that idea, it will make someone else rich, so I'm not gonna give them the idea, I'll keep it to myself
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

ElDiablo wrote:I've got the most fool-proof copy protection of them all, the only way to make a dvd uncrackable, is not to use a file system that a PC-based DVD-ROM can understand, the firmware in the console must be able to recognise the filesystem and that's it, pc's won't be able to read the dvd's filesystem and when you insert it into a pc, it won't even register that there is a disc in the drive.

I've also got another idea, that WILL work, only consoles will be able to read those discs, but if I tell that idea, it will make someone else rich, so I'm not gonna give them the idea, I'll keep it to myself
And then some clever guy will sit in his garage and create a little program to emulate said filesystem after he reversed engineered it. :)
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Kankuro

Post by Kankuro »

PureFire wrote:uh...
MORE than half with many games...
NFS for example...
???????? R300 for pc games versus R500? More than half? :?:

R250-R300 is alright for a pc game, but playstation games should be no more than R425... the shops here rip us off big time.
Some games are even supposed to be R350.
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

Kankuro wrote: ???????? R300 for pc games versus R500? More than half? :?:

R250-R300 is alright for a pc game, but playstation games should be no more than R425... the shops here rip us off big time.
Some games are even supposed to be R350.
jip, esp when the games go platinum :wink:

but... many times theres brand new games for R250.