Difference between Visual Basic & Visual FoxPro ?

Get help on programming - C++, Java, Delphi, etc.
DiMitRy

Difference between Visual Basic & Visual FoxPro ?

Post by DiMitRy »

We are looking at reselling new software that was designed in FoxPro and it runs on a FoxPro database aswell. I have phoned a couple of computer training companies and none of them offer FoxPro as a course.

The one sales guy i spoke to has never heard of FoxPro and this is from one of the biggest training companies (i'll just keep the name to myself to spare them more embarresment).

What is the difference between these two languages and who offers FoxPro as a course?

Thanks for the help in advance... :D
DiMitRy

Post by DiMitRy »

OK.... nevermind then... :P
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Foxpro is a database application that uses a prorietary programming language. Depending on which version you buy you can get a compiler to compile your database app into a windows application.

Visual Basic is a programming IDE and compiler for (you guessed it) basic. It is much more flexible and can be used to program anything from games to screen savers and of course database applications.

Hope this helps. ;)
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
DiMitRy

Post by DiMitRy »

It helps a lot, tx y0da... Last question... Is Visual Basic and FoxPro the same language with a small difference in syntax? Can I go on a VB course and then be able to code in FoxPro?
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Unfortunatly not. Foxpro uses it's own proprietary language and syntax that is loosely based on C++. Very loosely. However, it is not rocket science and the manual does provide a lot of help and insight.
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
DiMitRy

Post by DiMitRy »

Thanks for the help y0da... much appreciated... :)