Help needed domains

Network problem solving and tweaks
Sci_Cotic-Ghost

Help needed domains

Post by Sci_Cotic-Ghost »

Hi guys, long time no post & all that. :P

I need a bit of help with XP sp2 and domain controllers. Alright here's the basics.

I have a laptop that needs to be registered on 2 domains at the same time.

Say the laptop is at company A which is using dhcp, the server has a net profile for that user to log on, use the network and so forth. But at the same time there is company B which is offsite of comapany A. Company B uses dchp aswell and has a net profile and yudda yudda. Both server are 2003 sbs servers.

Now the laptop won't need to comunicate with both domains at the same time, since one is in pe and the other in jhb. What I need though is the ability to switch between domains quickly without changing the domain names in the computer name tab. Sort of like when you logon you get a drop down list with the domain name or local pc name.

Can someone pls give me a hand with this. Thanks :)
Sir Jon of Dark Tower, Slayer of Do-Gooders
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

hmmm im busy trawling through googles mountain of "wealth" and am not finding much...

BTW if you find the solution can you post it here please am intrested to see what you did...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

what type of login screen do you use? im presuming classic and not the other one?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Read this

does this help any? it gives a link to http://www.globesoft.com for a poduct called Multi Network Manager.

(seems like im the only one helping right now...)
Sci_Cotic-Ghost

Thanks for the links I'll try them out now. Basicly from what I've read and been told by other IT pro's is that you cannot have 2 domains registered on the same pc for various reasons. So I tried something different, in windows you have something called hardware profiles. I make a copy of the current profile, renamed it to company B. Booted up into comp B set the domain + ip address then restarted. Booted back into comp A, but unfortuatly that did not help as both the ip adress & domain carried over from comp B's profile.

In the meantime I'll look at those links from you, otherwise another option is to dual boot, a big bulky process but it should work anyways. thanks :)

Brillaint thanks for the link mate!! I'll get that software, since we are going to do this with alot of laptops. Shot mate :)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Could always try this one

soz all i could find...
Sci_Cotic-Ghost

Thanks mate, I'll get the co to buy that :)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

lol company money is always good to use :wink:
Sci_Cotic-Ghost

lol yeah it is :P suprisingly it's so cheap, I'm sure alot of admins have to go thought this proccess one day or another. 8O
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

i agree, hence the reason why i wanted to see your solution. let us know how the program worked out for you...
Sci_Cotic-Ghost

Will do, ordering as I type this. :wink:
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

The software we use for this is called netswitcher. I'm sure you can google it. Didnt check what ana gave you, so he might have already pointed you in some direction.

Point is, you wont be able to do this without 3rd party software intervention. @#$%^& Msoft...

s

edit - your avvy almost made me think you were skaap !!