RAM riddle...

Any hardware related topics go here.
invigorAted

RAM riddle...

Post by invigorAted »

Need some help here...my friend has a Celeron 667 pc, he has no idea which mboard it is (I cant look, he lives 300km away).
He bought 256MB SDRAM (PC133)...but the PC detects it as a 128MB!
he's already exchanged it for a diff brand, same prob.
When he adds his old 32MB tho, it reads it fine and totals 159MB (dunno where the 1MB goes!) Anyone knows whats up?
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Has he tried running the 256MB module by itself? It might be double-sided and all his banks are used.
naughty

Post by naughty »

maybe the mobo only recognises 128mb per slot - the only way to know is to find out what mobo it is and to check on the website or in the mobo manual as to how much ram is the maximum per slot

for example my asus mobo is restricted to up to 1gb per slot - in around three years time that may become a problem when you need around 8gb of ram for high end machines and even though im sure id have upgraded by then its gonna be bad news for the person who takes over my pc
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Good point
invigorAted

Post by invigorAted »

guess the mobo name is vital in this case,which he cant find (manual is gone)...i guess we can persume so far that the problem is the slot restriction then, its the only thing i could come up with aswell...
naughty

Post by naughty »

doesnt the brand name and model of the mobo appear anywhere on the mobo - also if he doesnt have any cooling on the northbridge a brand name eg gigabyte or asus or abit together with a chipset model eg intel 915 (which this cant be but im giving an example of chipset model number)

this could point you to the right direction since most mobo's with similiar chipsets within a brand should have similiar if not identical specs

maybe he needs to remove some pci cards and look around for some relevant info screenprinted on the PCB itself
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

I will bet my knackers it is a PC100 board, who still remember those? And yes, it is a mobo related issue, if you can't find an update bios, you're stuffed.

I experienced this issue before on a friends pc.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Hahaha. I remember those motherboards. Had endless problems with the HSF riser card modems. Not mentioning the total pain it was installing a PCI USB card. My cousin had one. It finally packed up about a week ago.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

ahhh - good old memories.

s
ElDiablo

Post by ElDiablo »

I had the same problem a while back on an EPOX PIII board, it worked fine with single-sided 256Mb memory, but only read 128Mb with double-sided 256Mb memory. Get single sided ram if possible...

My question:
I purchased 2x 512Mb Kingmax DDR400 memory banks. The PC was extremely unstable and kept restarting and crashing, however it did pass the BIOS ram test. Prime95 fails immediately when I choose the torture test. So I removed one bank and the system was 100% stable, I sent it back to Esquire (who wasn’t very keen on replacing it by the way) and they gave me a new one. With the new one, the system is even more unstable. It can’t even boot into windows with both banks in Dual channel. It was stable in single channel mode, running at DDR333 and with a CL of 3, but only for a while and the system started crashing again.
I now tuned the voltage up to 2.6v on the ram, it seems stable now, dunno for how long…

Is my M/B fried?
invigorAted

Post by invigorAted »

Thanks for help guys, he found a code between the PCI slots, turns out to be MSI board...I went to their site, checked out the manual - blast! "Supports between 8MB and 128MB DIMM"....those were the days! So I guess the other 128MB on the chip will jus sit there and rust, shame. :huh:
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Go to their website and see if a bios update wont free it up.

s
invigorAted

Post by invigorAted »

mmm my friend is very keen on PCs..dunno if I should let him do a BIOS update, u never know which buttons he'll press ;) But I dloaded d latest bios anyway...will email it to him with a document "I take no responsability..."
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

I think he should first read the BIOS updates to see if it fixes the "problem".....
supagx

Very Helpful!

Post by supagx »

Just a thought for everyone that has read or will read this thread:
If you cant find what motherboard is in a system, there is some very helpful software around that can help you out. One (which is free btw) is Everest. It gives you all the details bout your system. It might just come in handy one day.
AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+ | Asus M2NPV-MX | Radeon 3850 512MB | 2GB DDR2-800 Corsair XMS2 & 2Gb DDR2-800 OCZ Gold | Western Digital 250GB SATAII | Samsung 500GB SATAII