Visual Basic

Get help on programming - C++, Java, Delphi, etc.
Mal

Visual Basic

Post by Mal »

How much should Visual Basic cost me?
PaperCut

Re: Visual Basic

Post by PaperCut »

Mal wrote:How much should Visual Basic cost me?
Ditto.. :?:
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
Wildberry

Post by Wildberry »

Don't buy it when you can download it legally. :lol:

See http://www.myvbnotes.netfirms.com for the details. Just scroll down the page a bit and you should spot it!
Mal

Post by Mal »

Thanks very much man! Downloading it now!
thread3

Post by thread3 »

does it also run on the dot net framework?

since that crap came out i gave up advancing in programming.

I stick with VB6.
Mal

Post by Mal »

Sorry if this is a dumb question. what exactly is the dont net framework? Im a noob, just learning!
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Mal wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb question. what exactly is the dont net framework? Im a noob, just learning!
The .NET Framework is platform that allows you to run web and other applications locally. That's apps created by .Net and in a small part, old VB.

similar to = You need DirectX for games to use the features of your video card, in the same fasion do you need the .net framework for certain applications (web or otherwise) written with .Net to work. Period.

s
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

What Sojourn said..

and also the .Net framework was devised by old Bill and his mates at Microsoft to have all programmers (using MS languages) using the same playing field no matter what language they're using. The new MS languages (notably C# and VB.NET) now work from the same 'foundation' for want of a better word. So in theory now you can code in C# and then click a few buttons and convert the code into VB. However in reality it doesn't appear to work as smoothly as everyone would like.
There have been rumours since the the framework was announced that Java would also become part of the framework but it looks like it's not going to happen anytime soon.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
thread3

Post by thread3 »

I dont know if it's just me.

But i have a beta ver of Visual studio.net.2003 or 2002
i have also downloaded vb2005 from microsoft before.

but the whole IDE is so slow and recource consuming, it hangs
and takes long to do stuff. I just cant work with it.

It irritates me. and it sommer just feels unstable.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

thread3 wrote:I dont know if it's just me.

But i have a beta ver of Visual studio.net.2003 or 2002
i have also downloaded vb2005 from microsoft before.

but the whole IDE is so slow and recource consuming, it hangs
and takes long to do stuff. I just cant work with it.

It irritates me. and it sommer just feels unstable.
Its a conspiracy by MS to get you to buy the multi-thousand rand Visual Studio package, but it then only ends up being pirated.

s
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

It says on the website that it is important that you uninstall all beta versions of Visual Studio before installing this one.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Stig
Registered Muppet

Post by Stig »

At work we are running VS.NET 2005 Prof the IDE in someplaces i do find slow but it is not bad at all (Running Intel 3ghz HT, 1gb Ramm) Building i do get annoyed with the build that seems to take a bit longer than it should. But all in all i like using it alot more than VS.NET 2003 Prof
THAT IS THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES
Mal

Post by Mal »

Any good tut sites? Ive checked out the ones that were mentioned on the thread. Very useful!
Mal

Post by Mal »

Ive downloaded the VB2005 from the link Wildberry suggested. Now Id like to link an Excel document to my VB program. My program needs to read a list of numbers and strings from this excel doucments, then process them and store them in a database. I am unable to find any tutorials on linking excel to VB by using google. Any help would be appreciated. I am familiar with VBA.
thread3

Post by thread3 »

Well you will probably have to create some refference to the excell libraries.
Then declare an array to the excell object,
It can become a pain.
also when you do that you only provide a link to the current ver of office installed.
if you upgrade office your little app might not work anymore.

I would just create an ODBC link with the Excel ODBC Driver.

Then use the ADODB control and link it to the ODBC connection.

Then add some text fields onto your form and link them to the ADODB control.

(Excell) ODBC---> VB ADODB(OCX) ----- Textbox1
-- Textbox2 ... ect

Then you can catch the data that goes to the textbox to your database or another ODBC database or what ever.
STIR

Post by STIR »

Im looking for an easy to follow vb tutorial for beginners. any suggestions?
ArmatageShanks

Post by ArmatageShanks »

Try "Programming in Visual Basic.NET" (forgot the authors names but one of their surnames is Millspaugh) It's my prescribed text-book for this year. Quite simple and easy to follow. I dunno if there's a difference between VB and VB.NET though so you might wanna check that out...
Last edited by ArmatageShanks on 04 Mar 2006, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
xchuckx has been flushed and respawned neo-nymbo
STIR

Post by STIR »

Thanks xchuckx, but I was thinking of a downloadable interactive tutorial if you get such things? im mainly interested in using vb in excel.
amock

Post by amock »

try a google search for vba tutorials. vba stands for vb applications (excel, word etc.). The code in vba is exactly the same as the code in vb6 except for some of the extentions in vba, so maybe just search for a vb6 tutorial.
1st aka. Manwell the Portuguese pirate (the 2nd)
2nd aka. Vadooshka the Russian beef-farmer

AMD64 3200+
1024mb DDR400
250gig seagate
gf 6800le (12pipes+6vertex;380/900;extreme G)
3dmark2003: 11k

internet: Gateway wireless 128k (WISP)
STIR

Post by STIR »

@ amock google finds 1000s of tutorials for vb but I was hoping that someone could refer one of the better ones from personal experience. if not ill just select one and hope for the best.
r-it

Post by r-it »

VB6 is for the old fashioned(same as cobol developers). they dont wanna accept the fact that the .net framework is like the ultimate or rather are 2 lazy to learn new thingz. C#, VB.NET, java or vC++ are the only tools to be used 2day, but go with vb6 if u want, but .net is more than what you'd expect from MS
Daughters and sons of the soil, I greet you with my revolutionary, unapologetic, Afican greeting in saying "Izwe Lethu!"
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

r-it wrote:VB6 is for the old fashioned(same as cobol developers). they dont wanna accept the fact that the .net framework is like the ultimate or rather are 2 lazy to learn new thingz. C#, VB.NET, java or vC++ are the only tools to be used 2day, but go with vb6 if u want, but .net is more than what you'd expect from MS
I agree almost completely with that.
VB6 is for old school programmers who have not yet reached puberty. ;)
I wouldn't say .NOT is the ULTIMATE, but it's a damn sight better than old VB6.
I again almost agree that C#, VB.NET, Java and C++ are the only tools to use. But I'd exclude VB.NET. If you can't develop in a C style language, then you should be labeled a "User". Not a programmer/developer, or even a Power User, but just a "User" :P

Then, there's a little part that I strongly DISAGREE with.
r-it wrote:but go with vb6 if u want
If you WANT to go with VB6, then you should either a) Ask forgiveness from the God of programming, repent, and change your ways by learning C#, or b)ask a C# programmer to shoot you, and put you out of your misery. :wink:

EDIT: If on the other hand, you work for a company that has a lot of VB code, tell your manager that Microsoft is going to discontinue VB. And that they must send you on a C# course because that is what you need to know... :lol:
STIR

Post by STIR »

Ok, seems ive not made myself clear. im not interested in perusing a career in programming. I have hundreds of excel calculation sheets that I have made as and when I needed them for various engineering problems. these are bulky and un-user friendly to anyone but me and my fellow engineers so I wanted to simplify and consolidate them and make them available as a sales tool (ie idiot proof, press a button here select an option there). I have no previous programming experience of any kind so I am looking for a beginners tutorial that will teach me from scratch up to a fairly competent level how to use visual basic in excel specifically. This is a pet project with no time limit so the tutorial length is unimportant.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

As Amock said, What you're looking for is VBA (Visual Basic for Applications).

Search google for VBA Tutorial. The first 2 results I got were
1. Basic VBA tutorial
2. Advanced VBA tutorial

That seems to be what you want.

It doesn't seem like anyone here has needed a VBA tutorial, hence the lack of comments.