Jobs in Linux

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
cOokie_mOnster

Jobs in Linux

Post by cOokie_mOnster »

I wanna start a job in Linux...
But I'm not sure which path to take?

Which area in Linux to specify in?
Where to study?
How to make a lot of money?

Can anybody share some knowledge and advice?
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

You could do the RHCT or RHCE (RedHat Certified Technician or Engineer) - through obsidian.co.za - but it's expensive.

Suggestion: start with the compTIA Linux+ course and work your way from there according to your interests.
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
DEeRaY

Post by DEeRaY »

Yeah i completed the Linux + course a few months back, Its a great way to fimiliarise yourself with linux

They teach you most of the basics
But a word of advice, This is not really a begginer course, quite a few people from my work went on this course too and failed

Try to get used to using linux a bit before u go and study it, Just basically make sure u know howto get around and how the basic concept works, Cause if youve gotten urself stuck in that windows rut, Linux can be quite difficult to get used too

Next on my list RHCE
cOokie_mOnster

Post by cOokie_mOnster »

Thanks for the input...

Just a few questions.

Where would i do this course?
Suggestion: start with the compTIA Linux+ course and work your way from there according to your interests.

Should i go on a more basic course beforehand or would it be fine if i just used Linux instead of Windows for a few months?
Try to get used to using linux a bit before u go and study it, Just basically make sure u know howto get around and how the basic concept works, Cause if youve gotten urself stuck in that windows rut, Linux can be quite difficult to get used too
How long does it take to complete a Linux + course?
megabytes000

Post by megabytes000 »

Linux is really complicated if you're used to using Windows and never used it before. I suggest you familiarize yourself with an easy distro (like ubuntu) and then move on.

Out of experience: Beware that using Linux as a complete newbie (i.e.knowing nothing more than the name and trying it) is extremely frustrating since alot of the online material expects you to know the basics. I'm considering writing a small manual for complete newbies coz I know how hard it can be. It should have partitioning help, setting up WINE and Graphics drivers and so on.
crabstick

Post by crabstick »

your gonna wear it
And i wanna kno, did u think we'd be screwed by one run again?
cOokie_mOnster

Post by cOokie_mOnster »

I knew you would feel the need.....
You'r gonna wear it too.

Now get out of here, were trying to have a civilised conversation.
cOokie_mOnster

Post by cOokie_mOnster »

I've tried ubuntu and Suse before.

It wasn't to hard, just the drivers were a bit hard to configure.
DEeRaY

Post by DEeRaY »

Well my course took me 2 months, but that was part time 2 a week

I would recommend trying to stick to the command console(shell) and stay away from the GUI, Since most of what youll learn will be in the shell and thats where all the power lies

And be carefull using the root account, You can stuff up your OS without warning

But this is all stuff ull learn if u decide to do Linux +
JimMorbid

Post by JimMorbid »

DEeRaY makes an excelent point about staying out of the GUI and sticking to the console. What you need to do if your serious about linux is dedicate a computer to it. If you use a light weight Distro (like Slackware :D) you dont need a cutting edge machine, almost any old piece of junk will work (I used a P2 233Mhz).

I started by setting my machine up as a router for my adsl. That way it does something usefull and gives you the opportunity to play with Apache Webserver, PHP, SQUID Cache Proxy Server, Iptables, software that is used commercially on lots of business servers.

Making mistakes is also part of the learning curve. I think I reformated my router every Monday cause I couldn't figure out how to fix it after I installed something new :p.

Lastly I would recommend programming for Linux. My tutor always said that you dont really understand an OS untill you program for it and I found that that was very true for Linux. This book book was very usefull because it introduces you to a spread of languages from shell to perl to php and some GUI things.

Read as much as possible when it comes to Linux.

I'll stop boring you know ;-)

JM

*fixed your link - jee*
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Cookie-Monster wrote:Thanks for the input...

Just a few questions.

Where would i do this course?
If you're self-disciplined but have a low budget, get the Linux+ book at your local bookshop and just work your way through it until you feel ready to take the exam at any Prometric testing-centre. If you only have one PC, install Linux and just dual-boot between the two OSs.
Cookie-Monster wrote:Should i go on a more basic course beforehand or would it be fine if i just used Linux instead of Windows for a few months?
Linux+ is considered the beginners' course - of course, some people can't get to grips with it because it's so alien to them.
Cookie-Monster wrote:How long does it take to complete a Linux + course?
Full-time courses are usually 5 days - if you study in your own time, obviously you can do it as fast or slow as you want to.

Edit:
Cookie-Monster wrote:How to make a lot of money?
Have a look at hotjobs.yahoo.com and put "linux" in the search-field - you'd be amazed :-)
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
cOokie_mOnster

Post by cOokie_mOnster »

Thanks Thrall, if i studied the book and wanted to do a course at an institution does anybody know where i could go in the joburg area?

I've seen a few places but the courses are really expensive,(R4000 for a 5 day course).
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Cookie-Monster wrote:Thanks Thrall, if i studied the book and wanted to do a course at an institution does anybody know where i could go in the joburg area?

I've seen a few places but the courses are really expensive,(R4000 for a 5 day course).
I'd highly recommend Tangent Systems. Check out
http://www.tangent.co.za/content/view/55/138/

Yeah the courses are a bit steep but it's really worth it.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
cOokie_mOnster

Post by cOokie_mOnster »

Yeah thats actually one of the places i checked out.
It is steep!
Lord_Sybrwulf

Post by Lord_Sybrwulf »

I went to Tangent's Beginners and Admin courses. And I paid a lot. And since then, I haven't been practicing enough, as I've been rather busy, and overseas, etc, etc, etc. Point is that the courses were helpful, but I've forgotten a lot.

I've just loaded CentOS as a dual boot with XP on my home PC, and will ultimately get a small box to set up as a gateway PC, as suggested above.

I'm not doing it to ever be a linux admin or anything...I just enjoy using linux, and I think it's a useful skill.
DELL XPS M170 Notebook
gREAMER

Post by gREAMER »

Hey, check out this tutorial: http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules. ... l&pageid=1
It should give you a good kick-start into the Linux shell.