Guidline for The perfect OS/Program/app installation

Get help on programming - C++, Java, Delphi, etc.
axe346

Guidline for The perfect OS/Program/app installation

Post by axe346 »

/*
I know this is a little of the general Programming discission , but I think programmers may think about this.
*/

This here article doesn’t reflect any of the views of the publisher, the forums or the readers themselves.
This is the raving of a mad man who had his fair share of OS installation and their problems.

The Perfect OS Installation.
“Axe Blade 346”. Proudly made by a South-African.

Contact me at axe346@yahoo.com
Label it the Perfect OS so that I don’t delete it. Any recommendations or even an OS capable of all this will be gladly accepted.

Windows or Linux debaters the word goes “Trespasser shall be shot, Survivors shall be shot again.”, so stay clear.

/* Feel free to cut a little, and if necessary summarize the rest. */

Hi.

I am sending this to every MAG about computers I am able to South-African Web Site on so don’t be suprised if you see in it more than one MAG or Forum.

I am a gamer and a programmer (still learning). I have worked and played on a lot of OSses. Dos, Windows (2 to Longhorn Beta), Unix, Linux (Mandrake 8.2 to 10.3, SuSe , Fedora Core 4), MacOS and even Kwirtel (The OS that runs on that little palm pilot Reps use.). Hay, I still have a copy of Dos 4. I installed my first OS, Windows 3.11, when I was just 8 , I am 20. My father was a programmer who had written a program in Clipper 5 for Spoornet {Estimate}, which they ran on for 4 years, and my brother did a little programming in high school.

Here goes my list of how an installation should be made, be it OS or OS supplementary. This is to get make it as easy as possible for the user. This is mainly gotten from Linux but can also be implemented in Windows and even your own program.

Let’s take a Four CD / DVD Program From the Perspective of an OS.
CD 1- The basic installation or the Core of your Program. This should be the things that everyone will or may use.
CD 2 - The things that are useful but not necessary like a Second Language Set, extra Games, Office set?
CD 3- The least used things like a Console/DOS Web page Editor, who uses it?
CD 4 - Specialized stuff, like Developing environments and simulators.

All these CD should be bootable, say you have installed the Core and you want to install the Second Language set now you should be able to do so from the CD not the OS. If you have extra things to install like drivers extra programs for the OS and these likes you should be asked do install them in the OS installation. The installation should be customizable, say you don’t want paint you should have to install it if it is not used by one of your other applications like an icon editor, and if you remove icon editor it should ask you if you want paint or not.

The installation should need as little as possible user assistance as possible after the setup part. It should be understandable even to a 6-year-old kid, clicking next all the time. If the user has more than one CD / DVD drive the Installation should look for the installations CDs in all of them, the user should even be ab1e to specify that CD 1 is in drive two and CD 3 in bay drive one. The OS should be able to load every thing onto the HD and install from there. Everything should be able to be tested. From a Sound card to a sample of a program. It should provide text, low- and high- graphics installations.

Only one administrator and one user account should be made and the rest added to them as sub administrator and user which less privileges. The user should log in and when necessary be able to switch to administrator. This will lesson the impact of a child or somebody not knowing what they are doing who goes and tries to install a incorrect driver. (Just an example.)

A user should also be able to install previous OSses, of the same type, applications.
The user should also be able to go from DVD to CD and vice versa. Say you have it on a CD set you should be able to put it on DVD and install it from DVD.

I know I am being idealistic, but wouldn’t this almost cater for everyone. Firewall PC installer, Advanced PC User, and even the guy or gal who has to come and fix the computer.

But now I’m getting crazy. Lets look from it from a Windows Perspective. Say a user has 98SE,XP and XP pro. The user should be able to boot up XP and by clicking an icon/button switch to XP pro, and log out of XP pro. and into 98SE. A program running in 95 should be able to be used in XP with a password. I am not asking for a program running in XP to be used in 98SE.

If you go and ask me, which OS is better, I tell you for what? I am currently working in Windows 98 or Linux Mandrivia 10.3. Stability even on an old Computers. Perfect for a backup firewall PC. I play in XP (eXtreme Play?).

And please
NO MORE BLUE SCREENS
, try red for danger, orange for warning, green for info.

*heading edited - jee*
Believe is for those who aren`t sure. I know -The Collector. It was my brother who broke it , I just fixed it (and know it will never work) - Personal qoute
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

No offence
bla bla bla...!!!

Think about this and you will see we all ready have he perfect os the problem isn't the OS the problem is.

1.User
2.User
3.User

Now about what you posted
The installation should need as little as possible user assistance as possible after the setup part. It should be understandable even to a 6-year-old kid, clicking next all the time. If the user has more than one CD / DVD drive the Installation should look for the installations CDs in all of them, the user should even be ab1e to specify that CD 1 is in drive two and CD 3 in bay drive one. The OS should be able to load every thing onto the HD and install from there. Everything should be able to be tested. From a Sound card to a sample of a program. It should provide text, low- and high- graphics installations.
Yes nice idea but it's a few years old it's called slipstreaming
Why do I want 4 install disks when I can have one DVD?
Only one administrator and one user account should be made and the rest added to them as sub administrator and user which less privileges. The user should log in and when necessary be able to switch to administrator. This will lesson the impact of a child or somebody not knowing what they are doing who goes and tries to install a incorrect driver. (Just an example.)
Yes again mickeysoft is one step ahead of you.
A user should also be able to install previous OSses, of the same type, applications.
The user should also be able to go from DVD to CD and vice versa. Say you have it on a CD set you should be able to put it on DVD and install it from DVD.

It's called slipstreaming
But now I’m getting crazy. Lets look from it from a Windows Perspective. Say a user has 98SE,XP and XP pro. The user should be able to boot up XP and by clicking an icon/button switch to XP pro, and log out of XP pro. and into 98SE. A program running in 95 should be able to be used in XP with a password. I am not asking for a program running in XP to be used in 98SE.
Not going to happen if you had any idea of how an OS works you would know that it means total redesign.
If you go and ask me, which OS is better, I tell you for what? I am currently working in Windows 98 or Linux Mandrivia 10.3. Stability even on an old Computers. Perfect for a backup firewall PC. I play in XP (eXtreme Play?).

Wizards law of Stability

Stability depends on the stupidity of the user.

I am a gamer and a programmer (still learning). I have worked and played on a lot of OSses. Dos, Windows (2 to Longhorn Beta), Unix, Linux (Mandrake 8.2 to 10.3, SuSe , Fedora Core 4), MacOS and even Kwirtel (The OS that runs on that little palm pilot Reps use.). Hay, I still have a copy of Dos 4. I installed my first OS, Windows 3.11, when I was just 8 , I am 20. My father was a programmer who had written a program in Clipper 5 for Spoornet {Estimate}, which they ran on for 4 years, and my brother did a little programming in high school.

Here goes my list of how an installation should be made, be it OS or OS supplementary. This is to get make it as easy as possible for the user. This is mainly gotten from Linux but can also be implemented in Windows and even your own program
a programmer (still learning).
well learn some more then go read some books because clearly you don't have a clue when it comes to programing an OS

Nice try, call me rude but keep on trying you will get it right some time.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

PWNED!!!!!!!!!!!

and W(hy)TF are u trying to make the topic BOLD :evil:
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Mozz wrote:PWNED!!!!!!!!!!!

and W(hy)TF are u trying to make the topic BOLD :evil:
wouldn't say pwned but there is a nice afrikaans saying

Mooi reg gehelp met n' FKen backhand.

*Edit
Wizards law on reply's

The backhand given is directly related to the stupidity of the poster.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

haha, well still....you did cut his legs off :P
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Mozz wrote:haha, well still....you did cut his legs off :P
mabye I should start a new topic

wizards laws that reminds me I should update wizards news of the weird.
axe346

Not so easy as insulting.

Post by axe346 »

To - wizardofid :
Keep the non computer litterate guy/gal in mind.

I know it is called slipstreaming , a first time user wouldn`t.

The Program open in two version of the same OS was already done in 1987 , it was a indepentdend computer programer , J. Protonen , who cracked dos 2 and kept a console (Command Prompt) programs state while changeing to dos 3 on another HD {we call it save state these days}.
Wizards law of Stability

Huh? I agree in a sense , but how can Windows XP just crass if you listen to a Music CD (say song 10 which just prevoisly played) on Media Player10 ???

And YES the problem is the user , so cater for them becuase you make money from them.

Just Bla , Bla , Bla-ing on.

{{The Bold thing was a expiriment that failed in being bold , but got attention}}

Axe Blade
Believe is for those who aren`t sure. I know -The Collector. It was my brother who broke it , I just fixed it (and know it will never work) - Personal qoute
wizardofid

Re: Not so easy as insulting.

Post by wizardofid »

axe346 wrote:To - wizardofid :
Keep the non computer litterate guy/gal in mind.

I know it is called slipstreaming , a first time user wouldn`t.

The Program open in two version of the same OS was already done in 1987 , it was a indepentdend computer programer , J. Protonen , who cracked dos 2 and kept a console (Command Prompt) programs state while changeing to dos 3 on another HD {we call it save state these days}.
Wizards law of Stability

Huh? I agree in a sense , but how can Windows XP just crass if you listen to a Music CD (say song 10 which just prevoisly played) on Media Player10 ???

And YES the problem is the user , so cater for them becuase you make money from them.

Just Bla , Bla , Bla-ing on.

{{The Bold thing was a expiriment that failed in being bold , but got attention}}

Axe Blade
Well good for Mr J. Protonen.Your more than welcome to do that with windows XP.....Just keep in mind XP isn't dos dependable any more and far more complicated.You go ahead and reinvent the wheel I'm happy with my dual booting.

Second point I didn't bring up.
Why in my right mind would I want dual windows XP and windows 98/95/me.

I understand windows/linux..ect. WTF?

Just Bla , Bla , Bla-ing on
Windows have help sections there are forums/people to phone/computershops...and If you don't know where to find or use them.The user is either 1 years old or you shouldn't be infront of a keyboard without a babysitter.But while we are talking about making things easier, why not put a label on the Windows XP box 4 to 6 years.

who cracked dos 2 and kept a console (Command Prompt) programs state while changeing to dos 3
Right now I want to crack your skull.
Do you know what hacking is and what cracking is?
Well lets see one of many reasons.But isn't because windows made a mistake it will be because of user input software changes hardware changes oh my again it comes down to the user or was that loser...??
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Not so easy as insulting.

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

axe346 wrote: but how can Windows XP just crass if you listen to a Music CD (say song 10 which just prevoisly played) on Media Player10 ???
Sorry dude, you're on your own. Windows has NEVER crashed while i was listening to music. I think you were over-exaggerating to the extreme on that one.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Asbestos

Post by Asbestos »

axe346 wrote:All these CD should be bootable, say you have installed the Core and you want to install the Second Language set now you should be able to do so from the CD not the OS. If you have extra things to install like drivers extra programs for the OS and these likes you should be asked do install them in the OS installation. The installation should be customizable, say you don’t want paint you should have to install it if it is not used by one of your other applications like an icon editor, and if you remove icon editor it should ask you if you want paint or not.
Having the very modular approach you suggest, while sounding great and all, may introduce even more problems into the design of the OS/installation program. Which is probably just not going to be worth all the extra trouble. Having each CD bootable sounds a teesy bit crazy to me as well.

With the size of HDDs always getting bigger. Doing a full install of any OS shouldn't be a problem at all. The utilities you don't use you can delete subsequently or, worst case scenario, just leave to take up space. Really, when I'm installing an OS I don't want to be asked if I want a paint program or not. My time (and sanity) is way more important to me than whether I have paint or not. (it's rubbish anyhow :wink: )