Poor performance in certain games P464

Any hardware related topics go here.
AMDfx

Poor performance in certain games P464

Post by AMDfx »

Hi all .i wanted to know if any1 can help me sort my pc out for gaming. well a full system bench on 3dmark03 i hav 9002. this is my rig: MSI 865PE NEO3 mobo,p4 3ghz 64bit cpu,768mb ram(2xtranscend ddr400 cas latency 2.5-3-3),Aopen 400watt psu,and an Asus 6800le card(which i unlocked the other 8 pipes)so it a 16pipe 6800.well the problem is all my games run pretty well like FEAR n stuff.. but with Quake 4 it jerks alot especially wen u out in the field.the frames run damm slow like between 4-13.but inside runs fast like 25-60fps...
NFS Most Wanted i have it set on 800x600 and maxed evrything,it runs well but after a while the game performance slows down and becomes jerky and its so damn iritating. any1 can help me sort this problem out??? i hav 81.95 drivers ,i also tried 71.89 no help at all......

please if any1 can help me with this problem please lemme knw ASAP...
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Well take Quake of Ultra Quality (will never run it on your card) or High (also too much) to start with and reduce your screen resolution to 1024x768, nothing higher.

Anyone telling you their getting high frames on mid-range cards is talking k@k.

Your VGA should handle Medium well.

There is some tweaking to speed things up if you follow this link.

Can't help you with Most Wanted.

EDIT : OK maybe I can - http://www.tweakguides.com/NFSMW_1.html
Dual-Core CPU Issues

If you run a dual core CPU, such as a Pentium D or AMD X2, or even a Pentium 4 with HyperThreading, you may notice that the game is quite jerky even at high framerates. Things seem to run fast and slow randomly - this is because the game has compatibility issues with dual core CPUs. So not only is there no performance boost with dual core CPUs, there are actually issues which require the following steps to be resolved:

Setting Processor Affinity Manually: Launch Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and as soon as the game appears to begin loading, or after it has loaded up, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager. Under the Processes tab, find the Speed.exe process, right-click on it, select 'Set Affinity' and in the box which appears, untick 'CPU 1'.

Setting Processor Affinity Automatically: If you want to force the game to only use one of your CPUs automatically each and every time you run the game, see the instructions here for using the Imagecfg utility, a small Windows NT file you can safely copy into your \Windows\System32 directory and then use to permanently set the affinity for particular programs. Note, you may have to redo this each time you patch the game.

Both these methods basically force the system to effectively see, and use, only one of the CPU cores on your dual core CPU to run the game, thereby temporarily resolving this problem.
If F.E.A.R. runs playable then everything currently on shelves should run playable. I run a 7800GTX and 4000+ and still get lag in certain places on Maximum. Had to turn shadows down and Soft Shadows off to minimize stutter where possible.
Last edited by Rayne on 13 Dec 2005, 22:02, edited 2 times in total.
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

That is rather weird. Maybe try locking those 8 pipelines you unlocked - maybe the card isn't happy about it. If it continues to act up then at least you know your softmodding efforts are not to blame. Have you overclocked the card at all? What kinda temps is it running at?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Rayne wrote:I run a 7800GTX and 4000+ and still get lag in certain places on Maximum. Had to turn shadows down and Soft Shadows off to minimize stutter where possible.
Goodness gracious! 8O If that thing lags on occasion what hope do the rest of us have?
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

I have no such stuttering on my 7800GTX 512 :lol:
Futs

Post by Futs »

we had that problem with an AMD rig we set up basically contained the folllowing.

AMD FX-57
2Gig Dual channel ddr400
PowerColor X800XL 512Mb
160gig seagate

The problem only occured with Quake4, we eventually placed the memory modules in single channel and that solved the problem, so only thin I could think of is PSU.
is my rig: MSI 865PE NEO3 mobo,p4 3ghz 64bit cpu
The processor you running here is a socket 478 correct? then whats with the 64bit?
AMDfx

Post by AMDfx »

yO WAZZUP thanks every1 will try out the links and let url knw waz hapning.....

well no it aint a socket 478 mobo,its MSI 865pe Neo3 LGA775 Mobo..

btw Rayne i do have it set on medium

Bobendren : nope havent overclockd my card jus unlocked those pipes..
how can i overclock it? i duno wat temps my card is running at coz i dont have the cd for my card wid all the utilities;(
AMDfx

Post by AMDfx »

btw can any1 tell me which is a better ram from these????

Corsair® ValueSelect™ Series 512MB DDR400 184-Pin Desktop Memory: 6-Layer PC Board, Retail Packaging - Life-Time Warranty

Kingston® ValueRam™ Series 512MB DDR400 184-Pin Memory Module : 6-Layer PC Board, Life-Time Warranty

Transcend® High-Performance 512MB DDR400 184-Pin Module : CL2.5/3, 6-layer PC Board, Retail Package, Life-Time Warranty
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Hard to say without knowing what the timings are on each so I guess they are all pretty much the same. The transcend might be a little better.
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

Download Rivatuner from http://www.guru3d.com so you can monitor temps on the gfx card and SpeedFan from http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php so you can monitor temps of the cpu - maybe it's throttling.
ElDiablo

Post by ElDiablo »

I had the same problem with Quake 4 and NFS Most wanted when I ran with 512Mb on high detail, 1024x768 and everthing else maxed out. The system was very jerky. However, the problem was resolved by adding another 512Mb ram. The games now runs smooth. You should overclock your LE's GPU to about 330Mhz, you will have decent performance at that clock speed.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Futs wrote:we had that problem with an AMD rig we set up basically contained the folllowing.

AMD FX-57
2Gig Dual channel ddr400
PowerColor X800XL 512Mb
160gig seagate

The problem only occured with Quake4, we eventually placed the memory modules in single channel and that solved the problem, so only thin I could think of is PSU.
Is this 2x 1Gb DIMM's or 4x 512Mb DIMM's?

Coz if it's 4x 512's then it's due to the command rate now sitting at T2 and not T1.

And since when does Transcend make high performance RAM btw?

Personally that would be my last choice.

EDIT : Oh and ja -
schase wrote:
Rayne wrote:I run a 7800GTX and 4000+ and still get lag in certain places on Maximum. Had to turn shadows down and Soft Shadows off to minimize stutter where possible.
Goodness gracious! 8O If that thing lags on occasion what hope do the rest of us have?
It's not unplayable, but noticable nontheless.
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

Rayne wrote:
Futs wrote:we had that problem with an AMD rig we set up basically contained the folllowing.

AMD FX-57
2Gig Dual channel ddr400
PowerColor X800XL 512Mb
160gig seagate

Is this 2x 1Gb DIMM's or 4x 512Mb DIMM's?

Coz if it's 4x 512's then it's due to the command rate now sitting at T2 and not T1.

And since when does Transcend make high performance RAM btw?

Personally that would be my last choice.
Running at 2T doesn't make a big difference, 1-4% according to toms hardware.

Transcend doesn't make "performance ram" but it's no different to Corsair and Kingston's Value ram. All ram manufactuers change chips from time to time so comparasions don't always last very long. Transcend are currently using Winbond CH-5 chips on their modules - these are probably all the rejects from "performance ram" manufactuers but i'm sure turning up the voltage on those things should give u a very nice oc and at decent timings too.

@solo: pls do a review on the above mentioned transcend ram - i'm sure it's a bargain in disguise.
AMDfx

Post by AMDfx »

ElDiablo : how do i oc my card?
any1 can help me cool my cpu down?
my cpu idles at around 54deg and up,y is dat? i heard these 64bit p4s run very hot. but wen i run games like F.E.A.R and exit the temp is sitting at around 71-78.. and wen i multitask alot my temps around 80deg... any1 can help me out?
im using stock intel fan heatsink
its an intel 3ghz 64bit chip..
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

AMDfx wrote:ElDiablo : how do i oc my card?
any1 can help me cool my cpu down?
my cpu idles at around 54deg and up,y is dat? i heard these 64bit p4s run very hot. but wen i run games like F.E.A.R and exit the temp is sitting at around 71-78.. and wen i multitask alot my temps around 80deg... any1 can help me out?
im using stock intel fan heatsink
its an intel 3ghz 64bit chip..
gfx card: download rivatuner.

cpu: remove, lap, clean, apply AS5, reseat. Or preferably by a decent cooler: XP-90, XP-120, CNPS7000Cu, CNPS9500, Big Typhoon.
Abatis

Post by Abatis »

the reason i like amd:

source
What does man fear most? That no one will understand him, or that someone truly might?
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

Nice to see games taking some sort of advatage of dual core processors, Serious Sam also saw an increase in performance.
Orph3us

Post by Orph3us »

Bobendren wrote:Nice to see games taking some sort of advatage of dual core processors, Serious Sam also saw an increase in performance.
What do you mean?? I hate dual-core CPU's!!! Why you ask? Becuase I don't have one!!!

On a more serious note - what did you expect, that dual-core CPU's stay redundant for all eternity?
jPm

Post by jPm »

Well the obvious thing is that you are running a 6800le, which is a performance monstor when it comes to graphics!!!!

FEAR should jerk with that kind of graphics

The 64bit intels do run 3 to 4 frames slower than the normal one which isnt a big issue, although on that posted benchmark the 630 runs better than the 530, which is weird

AMDs are the superior Gaming CPUs although the ones you do see at the top of the list are very very expensive processor, and most people on this forum wont dream of of them!!!

Nevertheless your Processor is a very good performer and the only thing that can be the problem is your graphics card, try selling and getting something slightly better
AMDfx

Post by AMDfx »

jPm : i scored a 8994 on 3dmark03 with dat 6800le i thot that was an ok bench... my fear is running 43fps wid evrything on medium and AA. its jus these 2 games that arent performing.. QUAKE4 N NFS MOST WANTED
jPm

Post by jPm »

Well that is quite a Solid 3d mark 03 Score!!!!

You shouldnt really have a problem on Most wanted, maybe everything on High it will jerk,

If your Doom 3 runs pretty fine, then you shouldnt have a problem with Quake 4, coz it is the same graphics engine, maybe you need a Driver update.

Are you running xp x64, coz that mite be an issue, although i did run quake 4 pretty nicely with AA on, and i have an ATI card which isnt the best for the DOOM engine.

Your CPU temps are normal for prescotts, mines runs at exact temps, but i dont have any decrease in performance, as long as you dont overclock, you will be fine on your stock cooler, if it does blow>>your cpu is under warranty, and they will replace it,

I say try doom3 and if that runs fine then it is not the graphics
AMDfx

Post by AMDfx »

jPm : howzit man,doom3 averages around25-60fps depends,but that game runs very fast and graphics everything is on HIGH.. i dont know why Quake 4 runs sluggish!got that set on medium only the outside scenes start to jerk
i hav 81.95drivers installed
jPm

Post by jPm »

hmmm, try updating your motherboard bios, coz i cant cum to think of a reason why it will jerk so much, unless your AA or AF is on!!!

Quake 4 does need alot of resources, that could be the reason, but then doom would also jerk

You say the outside scenes tend to jerk, then try disabling certain lighting effects, maybe that will increase the performance

Also Try letting quake 4 determine what setting to use, and then let us know if it still jerks
Basipooned!

Post by Basipooned! »

When games decide what u shud setting u shud use it often gets it wrong..

For instance.
When i auto detect setting on my PC with doom3 it sets it to 640x480 medium. But when i run it on 1280x1024 high, its smooth.
Im too lazy to scan my signature in!!!
jPm

Post by jPm »

Same here, but atleasy it will run smooth for him, then he can tweak a few settings slowly and get it better