3D Modeling

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
Oj

3D Modeling

Post by Oj »

Hi all. I have 3ds max and Ray Dream Studio 5.5 (I'm not bragging). I would like to know which is better (I use RDS more, but am willing to change) and where I can download 3d objects. I am currently working my way through the tutorial cd of RDS and am getting quite good, so I don't want the most basic of basic stuff.
<b>Proud Knight of the Round Table</b>
Zell
Permanently Banned

Post by Zell »

If only Leigh was still around... :?
Dom

Post by Dom »

Yeah... that whole 'debacle' that took place a while ago made her really angry; no wonder she left.
\"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; although I am not sure about the former.\" Albert Einstein

November 10th, 2004; I\'m gonna miss you mom :-(
May 3rd, 2007; Missing you gramps :-(
iREADyourEMAIL

Post by iREADyourEMAIL »

where did u get
Ray Dream Studio???

ive herd it is friggin good
but ive never laid cursor on it
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
capanno

Post by capanno »

Wow where did you get that software? 3ds max alone is like over 15 grand!

www.3dbuzz.com has some good tutorials on almost all 3d apps. I suggest you go check them out.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

There is no better app. We all use the app that we are most comfertable with. Of those two I would recommend max for the simple reason that you will find a lot more support as you go along. I've used Blender, Wings3d, Max and Maya and I find Max the most suitable for my own needs. I love the power of Maya but I feel very clumsy with the user interface. SoftImage XSI is a good place to start if you want to spend less than R3000 on a 3d app that is also very powerfull. I suggest you visit http://www.cgtalk.com. That's where all of us hang out most of the time. You'll find very usefull info and training material on the site and they have some great competitions. ;)
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Oj

Post by Oj »

By the way, I use Ray Dream Studio 5.5 and 3ds Max 4.2.
capanno

Post by capanno »

...and can a mod move this to software or graphic design please.
Thrall - done
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
bolze

Post by bolze »

it is not good to get demo softwares and crack them like 3ds max 7.0!
Oj

Post by Oj »

bolze wrote:it is not good to get demo softwares and crack them like 3ds max 7.0!
Huh? I've got an original registered version. I want to persue a career in 3d mod., and got it for xmas. Scuse the speelin.
dammod

Re: 3D Modeling

Post by dammod »

Oj wrote:Hi all. I have 3ds max and Ray Dream Studio 5.5 (I'm not bragging). I would like to know which is better (I use RDS more, but am willing to change) and where I can download 3d objects. I am currently working my way through the tutorial cd of RDS and am getting quite good, so I don't want the most basic of basic stuff.
Off topic: u do 3d modeling on that PC in ur sig??!
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

I used to use 3D max 3 on a PC worse than the one in his sig, as in a Pentium 100Mhz! So what have you made so far, Oj, anything interesting? Feel like posting some of your work? Or is their a thread for such things? Ever thought of doing modeling for games? Anyway, I prefer Max.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

dammod wrote:
Oj wrote:Hi all. I have 3ds max and Ray Dream Studio 5.5 (I'm not bragging). I would like to know which is better (I use RDS more, but am willing to change) and where I can download 3d objects. I am currently working my way through the tutorial cd of RDS and am getting quite good, so I don't want the most basic of basic stuff.
Steven Stahlberg did his masterpieces on a P2 with 128Mb RAM, even less.

google it.

EDIT : http://www.androidblues.com
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Well for those who might be interested, Autodesk (3ds Max) has signed a deal to buy Alias (Maya) for $182,000,000.00 cash. So it is with some anticipation that the cg community awaits the changes this will eventually bring. Autodesk says they will not be making any changes soon though. The general feeling is that 3ds Max will be developed as a gaming tool while Maya will focus on the movie industry. ;)
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

now that sounds brilliant. check the loads of zeros.
Oj

Post by Oj »

dammod wrote:
Yep. Runs like a dream. To all of you wondering what I have made, I am still busy with the tutorials, but at 3 hours a day I will soon be done and will have made something.
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Practise makes perfect. :) Have you been to cgtalk.com?
Oj

Post by Oj »

Heres a scene that I made:Image It took about an hour.[/img]
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

Hi,

I'm not too familiar with those software, but I use Blender3D with good results, and I'm still a beginner. I'm using it on Linux, but it's available for Windos aswell as Mac, and did I mention it's free?

Anyway, if you're looking for 3D objects (models) a good place is: http://www.katorlegaz.com/index.php?a=d ... Repository

Here is a rendered image of a house that I modelled (we're building) using Blender3D with ray-tracing turned off! Imagine how cool it would be with ray-tracing on! It's not complete, still have to add windows etc.

What is this "Microsoft" that you speak of? Washing powder? Coffee? Correction fluid? I can't figure it out. Anyone else know?
Oj

Post by Oj »

Oh yah, to whoever thought that I d/loaded a trial version and cracked it (RDS), how would I have obtained CD2 with the tutorials?
Oj

Post by Oj »

If anyone wants to see the .rds file and see if they can improve it, please visit http://host-a.net/showfiles.php?usern=Oj
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

OJ, I stongly suggest you don't try to learn everyhing at once. Forget abut lightning and texturing until you can model well and fast. That scene shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to model at a push. I think you are trying to do a whole scene which is death for a beginner. Model, model, model and then model some more. ;)
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

I wish I still had all my old 3D max models that I made. I stupidly dropped the only thing, my hdd, that had them on and lost, well, everything, but that was about 3 years ago and now I program more. Would've loved to post some of old stuff I made. Maybe I still have something to post somewhere, will check to night. Just some advice, ALWAYS KEEP BACKUPS OF YOUR WORK and SAVE OFTEN.
Oj

Post by Oj »

Y0da wrote:OJ, I stongly suggest you don't try to learn everyhing at once. Forget abut lightning and texturing until you can model well and fast. That scene shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to model at a push. I think you are trying to do a whole scene which is death for a beginner. Model, model, model and then model some more. ;)
Sorry, I posted the wrong pic. It should also have a chair. I'll post it tomorrow, as I am not at home at the moment.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Y0da wrote:Practise makes perfect. :) Have you been to cgtalk.com?

Are they any good? :wink:

Frivolity aside though, whatever happened to Leigh?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot