How should posts be displayed - Poll

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!

How do you think number of posts should be displayed?

As it is at the moment
31%
Remove the number of posts
20%
Have cool group names depending on your number of posts
49%

Total votes: 45

Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

Spam, whats that?

:lol: If the "you may not talk" and "answer a question with a question" and "word chain" topics were to be deleted, I'd probably have about 100 posts , Seriously! :evil:
And then i'd probably not hangout here anymore :cry:
And then everyone'd be sad, cos there'll be no more worm!
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

I actually like the idea of getting rid of post counts, maybe leave them in the profile for interest sake but removing them from the avi is a really good idea. Maybe we should have a vote for it because I know that there will be complaints.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

How that for a poll? :)
Last edited by neon_chameleon on 13 Jul 2005, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

YAY!!!

Cammie is concidering it!!!!!
"jumps up and down"

I stil get treated as a bit of a n00b :cry:

JUST L@@K @ THE DAMN JOINED DATE PEOPLE!!!!! L@@K AT IT!!!! :twisted:

P.S. Why hasn't Y0da fixed the capital letter in the thread name yet....is he dead 8O
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

i r have 1st vote me president....

i think they shld go cause then ppl (hopefully) will stop trying to up it...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
jee

Post by jee »

Eventually!!!... posts not to count in the fun/chill section!
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I dont think that it should be abolished entirely. Rather,as jee suggests, have the non-technical forums excluded from the post-count and if possible, let it date back to 2002\3.

S
Leprechaun

Post by Leprechaun »

Personally I dont care about the count. I enjoy coming here to read posts, get help or try to help if I can. :)
capanno

Post by capanno »

I think removing the post count will directly influence the spam amount. Spammers will have nothing to brag about, and will force them to other forums.

I forth that idea.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Is there any way to only count quality posts?

To not count the chillout relax is a good idea but would discourage posting even more, there's to few posting as is. Sometimes it gets awfully dull, even more some for hardware/software topic that don't get any replies at all.

I reckon it's more the "I think this gfx card is rubbish" kinda posts that are the real spamming posts. If someone has something informative or interesting or amusing to say in any section including the chillout section as long as it relates to that topic, there's no reason why that shouldn't count.

If we do replace the number of posts shown, there needs to be some other way to determine the computer knowledge/experience of the poster, in order to determine how to structure your reply.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
brabham

Post by brabham »

I will not vote in the poll because I dont like either of the options. What I will say is this. I agree with Sojourn who said something to the effect of lets remove the non-technical posts from the post count and if possible back date it to 2002. Someone else said that we should have a ranking system based not on post count, but on length of membership which I tend not to agree with because some people read the forums for a long time and never post. I think the ranking should be based on a combination of length of membership as well as number of non-spam posts.

my 2c
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

brabham wrote:I will not vote in the poll because I dont like either of the options. What I will say is this. I agree with Sojourn who said something to the effect of lets remove the non-technical posts from the post count and if possible back date it to 2002. Someone else said that we should have a ranking system based not on post count, but on length of membership which I tend not to agree with because some people read the forums for a long time and never post. I think the ranking should be based on a combination of length of membership as well as number of non-spam posts.

my 2c
So, uhm.. what is option fot the poll called? 50/50?

Yeah, good point, having a member joining like 2001 and having 100 posts doesn't make him any cooler than someone that have a lot of posts in a short period. It depends on the contens of the posts, not the join date nor the number of posts.

Seems like the poll can't be editted, a new poll might need to be created, please will posters suggested options, maybe with what to call it as well. ;)
ElDiablo

Post by ElDiablo »

I dunno, I like it the way it is....
And if you only count posts from the technical forum, people will ask stupid questions like: Can I put a CD into a Floppy drive (had a client with that question) or Is there another way to turn the PC on without pushing the power button (there's alot of ways actually)...

The point is, in my opinion, leave it "as is"
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

As much as I dislike the count there needs to be some kind of system to give respect to those who deserve it.
Especially for the n@@bs they need to know if their post was answered by somebody with good intentions or if it's just another n@@b giving the forum a bad name.

As I suggested in another thread how about a system by how long you have been a member or how helpfull your suggestions may be.

If the post count is restricted to a certain section of the forum then the amount of junk in that section will just double.

Another idea, use a ranking system such as

1. Site admin
2. Mods
3. Respectable members
4. Members

A n@@b will be a member until a mod agrees to upgrade him too a Respectable member.

What do you guys think ???
Abatis

Post by Abatis »

agree with stevo here
but if possible put in tags like
network expert
hardware "
gaming "
etc.

so ppl know that the person talking knows his stuff
What does man fear most? That no one will understand him, or that someone truly might?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I don't think any moderator should ever have the privilege to decide just exactly which newcomer stays a newcomer and which one gets promoted becuase in this dog it dog world it's mostly a question of who knows who and not who does what.

The daily posting also differs hugely from the nightly. It's like 2 different worlds. Many mods and members I'm seeing logged now I won't be seeing tonight and vice versa. So how do you form an opinion about someone if you've seldom or never even responded to their posts?

Ranking systems are childish and it seldom works out. There's always going to be guys just messing around and so what?

Keep counts or do away with it but don't make it more complicated.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the site as is at the moment.
goku

Post by goku »

Rayne wrote:I don't think any moderator should ever have the privilege to decide just exactly which newcomer stays a newcomer and which one gets promoted becuase in this dog it dog world it's mostly a question of who knows who and not who does what.

The daily posting also differs hugely from the nightly. It's like 2 different worlds. Many mods and members I'm seeing logged now I won't be seeing tonight and vice versa. So how do you form an opinion about someone if you've seldom or never even responded to their posts?

Ranking systems are childish and it seldom works out. There's always going to be guys just messing around and so what?

Keep counts or do away with it but don't make it more complicated.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the site as is at the moment.
Well said :!: :!:

I don't post much and when I do it's mostly in the technical side of the forum. I do not liked to be judged on how many post I have post. Keep it the way it is now.

There is a saying " Don't try to fix something that's not broken" or something in that line :roll:
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

but in a way, it is broken.........

N00bs get ingored, when all they want is help! (last time i checked thats why they come to the forums... ingoring them just makes them look elsewhere for the answer and not come back!!!!)

Everyone just posts stuff like "I don't know anything about that" or "this is not my area of expertise" I mean no offense but WTF? if you dont know anything regarding the subject DONT POST! simple......

This is a PERFECT sample of people just trying to get post counts up....

Maybe it should show n00bs until maybe 100-200 posts and THATS it...

after those intial posts, you have members and mods, end....

just my 2500000000000 cents :wink:..........altho i do expect to be taken seriously
Zell
Permanently Banned

Post by Zell »

LEAVE IT AS IS!
-------------------

Why mess things?
I know you mods complain about the one or two "post-hunters" around here. But those are exactly that, one or two.

If we give rankings, then most people will become post-hunters, as well... lets just agree that it is logic.

If we remove post counters, then how will we know to differentiate n00bs from proper members. And I mean real n00bs.
Somebody who joined in 2003 and only posted once, without post counters, can pretend to be the great member Onegai Kazuma the third... whatever, ignore that last bit, too much anime. ;-)

The current system works fine!
If you have a guy that posts nothing but one-liners, then warn him. Give him a fair chance (three warnings) and if he refuses, then halve his number of posts.

I find though, that one can easily get 100 posts a night on topics such as "Word chain", "answer...", etc.
Why not introduce a new "Spam section" that includes pointles (but maybe fun) threads like those, whereby posts won't count.
I mean, the chillout section could contain really good threads that challenge the mind, or just interest people alot. It's not all cr@p.

So if ya wanna do anything about it, my suggestion is make a "Spamorama" section where posts don't count, but members can just have fun without all the rules (such as on topic, double posting, etc).
That way, we will see who really is interested in those topics, and who isn't.

What do you guys think?
I've had mucho experience in these things, so lets just say that this is the best advice I can give you.

Comments, criticisms, fan-mail all welcome. :-)

Zell

EDIT: Giving n00bs targets with posts to become "full members" or whatever firstly makes new member stop visiting these forums, and secondly makes those who are "made", become arrogant, thus chasing away the little amount of noobs that wanna stay.
In the other forums, we tried tactics that would make noobs have to achieve something, and it almost killed the website. I don't want to see this website take the same toll. Trust me, it's better if you mods have your hassles with one or two members, then start a whole new system that could make or break the site.
BTW, I went to gamefaqs.com forums, and when I saw what a hassle it would be to get all those stupid points, I never visited again.
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

Is it right to judge someone on their technical knowledge by the number of posts they have? For example, MrBean has only 291 posts, does that mean he is not as technically knowledgeable as someone with 3000 posts? Never, MrBean is really well informed in many areas yet his post count is low. That doesn't make him a newbie to the technical side of a PC.

Rayne put it well: "Keep counts or do away with it but don't make it more complicated"

Rikkelz
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Loose the post count. Why have it? If you judge your value or status by a number on a web page then you are already beyond help.
--------------------
I miss Duke Nukem. Forever is a long time.
--------------------
I don't respect your opinion because it's wrong.

Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yeah I think Cameron did a great job here already. Compared to other site's this one feels right at home. And I can actually for the like's of me not see how newcomers can't feel welcome here. Most posts aren't quickly answered because there's no-one around to answer them, guys must understand that. This is a community, not a helpdesk. And newcomers not thanking guys for help they receive are in the fast majority so the rest of us don't even bother anymore. It's their own fault.
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Maybe we can do away with the post count and then aside from the mods and site admin we can have a rank suck as respected member or such which can be individually asigned rather than based on post count.

Even if there are no ranks i'm sure most will be able to tell if their questions have been given a fairly decent reply simply by the contents.

A 20 line + post will obviously have been given much more thought than a simple one line statement
QBM

Post by QBM »

I didn't read all of this and don't care about the poll options but for the love of God please increase the post per page or add one of the many mods for phpbb that makes it user selectable................
Android

Post by Android »

QBM wrote:I didn't read all of this and don't care about the poll options but for the love of God please increase the post per page or add one of the many mods for phpbb that makes it user selectable................
Great idea and we can add a nuke button to make you feel at home :roll: :wink:
\\\\\\\" irc.darkhaven.org.za \\\\\\\"