Performance

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
GreyRaven

Performance

Post by GreyRaven »

Hey people, ´sup
<BR>I got a few problems with the new Mecer PC my dad bought a few weeks ago. For some reason it often seems to be slower than our old 600Mhz Athlon, despite the fact that its a 2.4Ghz P4 with twice as much RAM.
<BR>Also, after I´ve been using it for a while, the screen will get all these thin orange stripes on it, at which point i can see the mouse moving in background, but i can´t click on anything, and then the screen says no signal. I have to restart a few times to fix it. We got 256mb RAM, geForce 4 MX 440 in place of onboard, XP home, and we swapped the original screen for an Acer TFT screen. We´re not using DVI.
<BR>anyone got any ideas what´s wrong?
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Performance

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Check that your Geforce 4MX is seated properly, it sounds like it might be loose - especially if the monitor says "no signal found" that means its not getting input from the GPU.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
GreyRaven

Performance

Post by GreyRaven »

Thanks, I seem to have gotten it fixed. I downloaded the NVidia drivers to replace the ones from the CD, and everything seems fine now. Strangely, it seems to have fixed the other performance issues too.
LordRage

Performance

Post by LordRage »

COOL
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)
Dr_Kellogg

Performance

Post by Dr_Kellogg »

My friends got a similar problem. He´s got a 900 with 256 RAM but its slow as hell. My old 400mhz runs betta. I told him he should just format (His machines been trashed real bad by some virus, so nothing really works) and then start from scratch with up to date drivers. What do you think?
<BR>PS He´s got a PCI graphics card