Dual boot

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Canis

Dual boot

Post by Canis »

Okay, I have had Suse and now Mandriva which automatically writes stuff to the MBR, like the boor loader. But when I reinstall Windows it clears everything from the MBR, so Linux has to be installed again. Any help and suggestions.

Another thing, Linux can read/write to a fat partition, but not to a NTFS partiton, only read. I had to partion a 200 gig HD into lost of small 32 gig partitions as Fat32 doesnt exist on anything larger that 32 gig. I did this so both OS can read/write to all drives. Is there a NTFS driver for linux?

thanks
eraser

Post by eraser »

First of all, whenever you want 2 dual boot with windows nd linux then u must always install linux last...
This is because linux detects all the other OS's nd configures the boot loader, nd also writes the mbr 2 its liking...

Second, You will most likely haf 2 create your own ntfs driver 4 linux cause i havnt heard of 1...
Thats not saying that there isnt 1, its just that i havnt found 1...
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Tip : Always load Linux AFTER the MS OS installation. Very simple.

NTFS driver for linux ? Dunno. Did you try to google it or ask at a dedicated linux forum ?

S
Canis

Post by Canis »

I know I must install Linux last, but I like to reinstall Windows every few months. It's alot of work, but it keeps the system fast, very fast indeed.

No driver for NTFS, I've searcehed Linux forums and searched and googled it, nothing.