Initial setup and fears about Mandriva

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Jacquess

Initial setup and fears about Mandriva

Post by Jacquess »

Ok, so me being a complete newbie to Linux, I have some questions:

Can I dual boot with Mandriva and XP Pro?I do not want to get rid of XP pro just yet. Need to get used to Linux first

If so, how can it be done? A detailed explanation will be appreciated.

And, what is the general opinion around Ubuntu Linux. How does it compare to the other versions? Especially Mandriva, as I might switch later on.

Any help would be great as I have created the discs from the iso image provided and got as far as the reboot and setup screen, but fear possible deletion of all my data if I click on the wrong button.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Mandriva Linux used to be called Mandrake Linux right? I don't like the new name, but oh well.

You should be able to dual boot with XP no problem, easiest way is to have your XP installed on a parition of the harddrive and then have some unparitioned space which the Linux installed will automatically use to create the SWAP and EXT3 partitions it need. At the end of the installation process it should install a boot loader which lets you chose Linux or Windows when you boot up.

I've tried Ubuntu and it does not compare to the big distributions of Linux such as Gentoo and Mandrake.
Moses

Post by Moses »

I used Mandrake 10 and 10.1, and then switched to ubuntu and now I am using kubuntu (ubuntu with KDE as default).

Last time I checked (a couple months back) Ubuntu was rated top (taking the long standing position from mandrake). Shuttleworth assembled a team of the best in the industry to develope ubuntu, so I wouldn't laugh it off.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Well when I tried it it had no support for anything and didn't set up anything automatically like most distributions of Linux do. Like mounting NTFS or FAT32 partitions.
Moses

Post by Moses »

Yeah that is true, but it is easy enough to do yourself, and I certainly wouldn't judge a distribution on whether or not NTFS/FAT partitions are automatically mounted.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

To me that seems like something that should be done without second thought. But I suppose you are right. It is easy enough to mount them yourself.

Maybe I'll give it a try again one day.
Prime

Post by Prime »

mandriva is easier to install than xp pro which i have. and it has software to adjust your partiton. i was dead scared aswell when i first installed it. dont bother with any gui other than KDE. mandriva includes drivers and programs like open office.

BTW how do you set up network connections in mandriva.

im waitng for my copy of ubuntu in the post. order it off mark shuttleworths website. its free
crisis

Post by crisis »

Yo Dude how many cd's must we choose to order on the ubuntu website?
Prime

Post by Prime »

as many as you like i think put the post office mite steal them. still its worth a try
Jacquess

Post by Jacquess »

Is there any chance that the installation might adversely affect the windows installation?Does anyone have any experience with mishaps after installation?

And from what I gather from the postings, it seems as though mandriva need a clean drive or partition, it this so? Can't I use one without wiping the data on it? (there is no windows installation on it)
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Yo Dude how many cd's must we choose to order on the ubuntu website?
As many as you like, I got 10 of each delivered to my house :)
Don't think the post office is too interested in linux discs anyway.
Is there any chance that the installation might adversely affect the windows installation?Does anyone have any experience with mishaps after installation?

And from what I gather from the postings, it seems as though mandriva need a clean drive or partition, it this so? Can't I use one without wiping the data on it? (there is no windows installation on it)
There's very little to no chance that it can effect your Windows installation if you install correctly. Some Linux distributions allow you to install into an image file of sorts on a windows partition. I'm not sure if Mandriva allows you to do this if it does then it will work fine for you. This will however decrease the speed of the entire linux system quite a lot and you will probably need a linux boot disc for if you want to boot linux. I used this method years ago with Red Hat 6.2 so it might be different now.
Prime

Post by Prime »

nope you can install it with out affecting your windows instalation. it alters the partiton size and creates a second one specifically for linux, but you can still access the windows one in linux or in windows. it even resizes ntfs partitons.

you dont need a boot disk either although for some reason i have managed to set mine up with mandriva as the default bootup for operating system so i have to be present if i boot and want to select windows at the boot screen. oh well linux is cool
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

It wouldn't be a second one, would be another three since that's how many linux usually uses :) But that's not important.

Quite cool if it auto resizes partitions and everything, just make sure you have any important data backed up first incase something does go wrong.
Prime

Post by Prime »

thats what they warn you about-losing dat. hasnt been a problem. think its actually only 2 partitions but willl find out. hey azgard whats become of the knights thread.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

I have no idea, never really followed that thread.

Minimum partitions is two, but three is normal. One will be your SWAP and the other two one will be the boot parition in EXT3 filesystem and the other will basically be the /home also in EXT3, this is the partition that isn't really needed.
Prime

Post by Prime »

ok then it does cos it mentions the swap partition
Prime

Post by Prime »

why di you become a knight then az
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Umm, not too sure. Seems like fun? After I joined I kinda left the forum never to return. But I seem to be back again now months later and this place is just like I left it.
Prime

Post by Prime »

why did you leave.

*in evil voice* muhahahaha. you cannot escape. muahahaha
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Just didn't really like the forum anymore.. Got tired of it, became quite annoying to me. I did come back a few times but then found some thread that put me off the whole forum again. But for some reason today I've changed my views on a lot of stuff. And I got a job to do here so might as well do it right :)
Prime

Post by Prime »

what thread was this. what job you doing?
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

I'm not sure the thread, lots of different ones at different times. Doesn't really matter. Well I am a moderator you know :)

And I think we should continue this conversation if you want via PM, since this is getting a bit off topic :?
Prime

Post by Prime »

thats a better idea. ok pm m. if you want. heyt come chat in the no talking thread
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

I'm actually gonna get ready for bed now so will come talk tomorrow.

It's kinda threads like that that I don't like.. Probably seems weird but I am quite weird so.. :?
Prime

Post by Prime »

oh ok. sorry for wandering of topic. k tom. will be out most of the day. hey its cool. im physco