Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 vs Corel DRAW 8

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
Rayne

Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 vs Corel DRAW 8

Post by Rayne »

OK let me start by saying I have nooooo skills as far as image editing goes hence I dont know the quality of the tools.

I have Corel 8 (yeah I know it's old, been laying in my drawer for a few years, until recently) and I'm currently playing with it every now and again but it seems quite limited and the file sizes are all too big. Making an animated .gif for a forum is like impossible because of the size thereof.

Now, I read a few comments in PCF UK about Photoshop Elements and considering the cheap asking price I would like to know if this would offer me any better options.

Photoshop is better than Corel right?

So should I get it or not? Also please don't direct me to Elements's bigger brother retailing at R6000 something as I'm not looking to create a career out of this, but simply need something that suit my needs, say like 2-5 usages a month.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Corel Draw is a vector program. Photoshop is a raster program. They are two TOTALLY different things, for TOTALLY different purposes.

It sounds like the work you want to do needs a raster package. So go for Photoshop.
human slave in an insect nation
jee

Post by jee »

Rayne, if you are interested in Photoshop Elements, pm me. I have a copy lying around that was given to me, but I will admit that I'm useless and don't really have the patience to learn.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Belix

Post by Belix »

Leigh wrote:Corel Draw is a vector program. Photoshop is a raster program. They are two TOTALLY different things, for TOTALLY different purposes.

It sounds like the work you want to do needs a raster package. So go for Photoshop.
Just fo my info -
Raster = images, pixels etc.
Vector = coordinates, circles squares etc.
Is that right?

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Yeah raster is pixels, vector is line-based (splines).

Vector programs:

CorelDraw, Macromedia Freehand, AutoCAD

Raster programs:

Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, GIMP
human slave in an insect nation
Snowflke
Location: I have trouble remembering my name let alone my location!

Post by Snowflke »

I would use the GIMP, not only is it free but its also got alot of features with it.
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

At one stage photoshop elements was being distributed for free with canon printers I dunno if it still is though
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Thanks jee, that's really generous of you but not needed, I ordered from take2 already.

Leigh thank you too, though I should probably have been a bit more specific and said Corel PhotoPaint, which is what I'm comparing to.

The Corel suite includes DRAW, PhotoPaint and 3D.