Photoshop File Help

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
RVFmal

Photoshop File Help

Post by RVFmal »

I am currently making changes to a web template that is in Photoshop format with GIMP. However my question is, once I have made the necessary changes to it how do I convert it into HTML format so that I can upload it to my server for hosting?
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

You cannot convert an image to HTML. You can embed an image within a template, but you cannot magically convert an image file into an HTML file.
human slave in an insect nation
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Leigh wrote:You cannot convert an image to HTML. You can embed an image within a template, but you cannot magically convert an image file into an HTML file.
On a total tangent, and I'm not advising anyone to do this, but I saw a web page a while back, pure HTML, no images, that recreated an image via a table, with each <td> being 1px by 1px, and the background colour set to the appropriate colour for that pixel of the image. It was great =)
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
RVFmal

Post by RVFmal »

Leigh wrote:You cannot convert an image to HTML. You can embed an image within a template, but you cannot magically convert an image file into an HTML file.
So what you are saying is that I should rather not make changes to the Photoshop file? Why do they include the PS file in a template folder for a web page then?
Narkath

Post by Narkath »

What I usually do is cut up the image using photoshop slicing, saving them as gifs or jpgs. Then I create boundary/positioning boxes using div tags in HTML, that mirror the sliced line boxes in photoshop, making the images the backgrounds for the divs.

The PSD is included in templates so you can cut up and edit the images to your liking.
RVFmal

Post by RVFmal »

Narkath wrote:What I usually do is cut up the image using photoshop slicing, saving them as gifs or jpgs. Then I create boundary/positioning boxes using div tags in HTML, that mirror the sliced line boxes in photoshop, making the images the backgrounds for the divs.

The PSD is included in templates so you can cut up and edit the images to your liking.
Cheers Narkath. Am saving all the images and layers into an images folder and will be utilising them to build my site.