ISDN Dial-up problems on SuSE 9.3 Pro

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
AlphA

ISDN Dial-up problems on SuSE 9.3 Pro

Post by AlphA »

Hi Guys,

Well, I've just installed SuSE 9.3 and all I can is WOW! It is really cool. Run nice and fast on my box as well...

Just one problem...a major one at that considering the box I installed it on is my internet gateway! :-(

Can't dial up to the internet using my Winbond ISDN W6692 PCI ISDN card. This card works perfectly on SuSE 9 Enterprise.....which is a slightly older kernel than SuSE 9.3 Pro. Why wont it work now?

This is what happens...

1) I start smpppd
2) Right click on Kinternet
3) Click Dial-in
4) It starts to dial in....then 5 seconds later it disconnects, almost like my password did not work.... (trust me, its the right password!)

If I try to connect from the commandline (so I might see any errors) the ff happens

1) I start smpppd
2) I type "cinternet -i ippp0 --status (it shows DISCONNECTED)
3) I type "cinternet -i ipppo --start
4) If, at this point, I check the status, it shows it as connected (I think its still trying to connect though)
5) Then , a couple seconds later, I check the status again, and shows as discconnected...

Does anybody have ANY idea why this is happening?? Its really frustrating me :x

Thanks
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Mmm...I had a similar problem with 9.0 on my box, with Winbond6692 chipset ISDN TE. Had to do some manual editing, to get it to work. Will check if I can find the textfile again.

You could also try isdn4linux package.....

Anyway, what the chances you could make me a copy of that 9.3 dvd, and send it to me? I will pay for the dvd and your effort?

Will be appreciated, if you can do :)

Br,
MrBean
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Mr Bean --> Thanks for the response.

I would appreciate any help on this regard...>I've tried so many different things....Still nothing.

Please scratch around for that 'textfile' with instructions on how to get this going....

As for isdn4linux....I started off reading that....then got overwhelmed....Guess I'm tired after a long day of work. Will mess around with it tomorrow. Patching of kernels is not something I"m really good at.

With regard to the SuSE 9.3 DVD...not a problem...I will try to get it to you.... I made my copy of 9.3 at the LinuxWorld expo last week. Its actually a 5 CD copy, but I can copy all the ISO's onto a DVD+R and get it to you. You can then burn the ISO's to CD's.

PM me with your postal address or if you wait till I come down to Durban (some time in July), then I will personally drop off the DVD with you. Its your call...let me know..

Thanks again
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Hello Alpha,
Send you a PM ;)

edit: ok, some info here: http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/hisaxctrl8.html

thanx,
MrBean
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Mr Bean - Got your PM thanks...

Also managed to scratch around and got the connection working. I'm actually posting this message from my SuSE 9.3 box...

You wont believe what the problem was....My ISDN line wasn't plugged into my UPS properly...My wife must have shidted it while she was vacuuming the room! The UPS has a "universal" socket which can surge protect analague lines as well as ISDN lines...so it does'nt clip in perfectly. What a waste of time trying so many different things! One snag with SuSE is that it did not tell me if could not detect a phone line....And the logs said nothing. No even error messages on the commandline! Just said "connected" (when I did a status), then said "disconnected" abotu 5 secs later....

This OS is great though....definately the best Linux distro I've used to date...
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Ha Alpha......one for the books, no doubt....rofl.....would have given much to have seen your face at that moment.....one of those priceless moments, for sure...hehe...

But, really glad you got it sorted, and thanx for your PM you send. I am eagerly awaiting a copy. Let me know if I can be of assistance in the future.

Thanx again, Dude! Guys like you who makes life worthwhile :)

Br,
Beanie.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

heheh - Yah, I was pretty pi$$ed off when I noticed that the ISDN plug wasn't in the UPS properly...But hey, you dont have to laugh that much at me! hehe :-)

No problem about the distro...I will send it off on Saturday morning...
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Thanx for your effort, let me know the tracking number then.....please, let me at least pay you back for Speed Services Courier?

Br,
MrBean.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

MrBean wrote:Thanx for your effort, let me know the tracking number then.....please, let me at least pay you back for Speed Services Courier?

Br,
MrBean.
Mr Bean --> I've sent you a PM yesterday , but you have'nt responded as yet. Sorry for the delay , but I only got mail off the SuSE 9.3 DVD to you yesterday via PostNet. I've been realy busy at work on the weekends and have been sick as well. Check your PM for the tracking number. The disc should be arriving on Tuesday...