Layers Question

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
RVFmal

Layers Question

Post by RVFmal »

If an image is saved in JPEG format, is it possible to make changes to the image by seperating the different layers in the image itself? If so which program is best to use.

I have GIMP 2, Photoshop 5.5 and Dreamweaver MX installed. Am trying to design my own webpage (hence Dreamweaver), but have to first format the images with my Logo before I can move forward.
rustypup

Re: Layers Question

Post by rustypup »

jpeg doesn't support layers as far as I know... png is great, handles both layers and transparency, but average output is large...., and then of course gif is just ugly on large images....

perhaps a little more detail would offer some insights, (partitioning images is a good trick, depending on quality....)

[Edit:] btw - of those apps, and you are proficient, gimpall the way...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
RVFmal

Post by RVFmal »

Thanks for the reply Rustypup.

Will I be able to save a logo designed in Paintshop Pro in PNG and be able to open it in GIMP?

I am currently using a web site template that I am trying to amend to my needs. All the images are JPEG and GIF. There are some of them that I want to try and amend so as to incorporate my company logo (hence my need to edit layers in a JPEG image).

Any ideas?
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

GIMP can open png files, yes
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Bottom line is that a JPEG file is a flattened image meaning that no layers are supported. Your supported file formats for layers are: PDF (Dont even think of taking me on about this one :)) Tiff, PNG to name the most common.

Lemme know if you have any more question about the files RVFmal. As for Gimp.... :sad: I have no idea what it can and can't do. Photoshop CS2 rocks.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

RVFmal wrote:There are some of them that I want to try and amend so as to incorporate my company logo (hence my need to edit layers in a JPEG image).
Perhaps if I clarify - consider using a combination of png and jpeg....

png supports *partial* transparency, and thus can overlay other images on the page, depending on the browser of course....

gif also supports transparency, but this is an xor binary, ie.. either 100% transparent or 100% opaque, with no middle ground..., (also an overlay option....)

Therefore, your logo would appear to be part of the underlying image, without you needing to create a million and one variations of similar images just to include the logo.... but be aware that png's ouput size is not ideal for large images over the web...

making sense .. ?

<@maxxis - you haven't been Gimped! :? 8O The jack booted open source hordes will be at your door in the morning! :) >
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
RVFmal

Post by RVFmal »

Aah, now I am getting it.

Had no idea that PDF files supported layers. This being a fairly small file size (obviousley graphics intensive sensitive) it would make sense to utilise this format within a website as opposed to PNG?

Appreciate the help guys. Will definitely be in touch soon as I am just at the start of my long and arduous process of designing my site and graphics.