Overclocking 2800+

Post your scores or get advice on how to better them.
Soap

Post by Soap »

Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

LOL!, that looks like "fun".

So he can just use ordinary crocodile clips hey? :D
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

My 2800+ is running at 2.26Ghz (180x12.5) at 1.7V vcore, my ram is at 432Mhz (Kingmax)

I have taken my pc up to 2.5Ghz, but then i needed to put my vCore up to 1.9v and my cpu idled at 62C (A bit hot for me)
Tolklein

Post by Tolklein »

You could always mod your CPU into a mobile variant, which allows FSB and Multiplier adjustments on the fly, but do you really want to risk damaging your CPU?
Mamma always said, no pain no gain.

Besides I got a 2200+ Lying around somewhere. Hmm maybe I should check the date see if its unlocked.

I heard that those mobile chips were actually made with higher quality silicon or something which allowed for better performance, sounds a little suspect to me though.

@JEdiWaNNaBE My vCore goes to a max of 1.8v cant get it any higher, alas.

My chip is currently running at 195Mhz FSB @ 1.43Ghz, it is stable, but as soon as I knock it to 200FSB it refuses to boot, so now it makes me wonder if there is some kind of restriction on the FSB as well.

Why else would it run fine at 195, but not do anything 5Mhz higher?
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

If i up my fsb to 185 it won't boot unless i up the voltage by 0.05v, so maybe thats your problem.

Shame that your vCore only goes to 1.8v, Abit mobo's can go to the amazing value of 2.5v (Or something around there), need to liquid N2 cooling for that :twisted:
Tolklein

Post by Tolklein »

Could be, as soon as I get my hands on some conductive paint I'm going to try unlock the multipliers and max vCore settings.

From what I gather there isn't too much risk, as I will be merely connecting the various L gates, so I really see no danger of blowing it...

But I'll have my fingers crossed, just in case.
Soap

Post by Soap »

I wouldn't be so confident... I've managed to blow some old CPUs already by incorrectly connectin the bridges. Your CPU is after week 42, so your chance of unlocking it is less than winning in the lotto. The mobile mod is somewhat more practical: It allows for higher voltages, overclcoking on the fly and only requires closing one bridge.
Tolklein

Post by Tolklein »

You're confusing confidence with optimism, the little I've learnt about OCing via phyisically modding the hardware, has come from only what I have read, I've never seen let alone attempted it before.

But I'm just weighing out the odds, and if the L5 bridges do what everyone says they do, then there should be little risk.

That's what I'm going for, the mobile mod.

When I get 'round to doing it I'll keep you guys posted.
Tolklein

Post by Tolklein »

After scouring PE for conductive paint and phoning every number the yellow pages had to offer with no luck, I almost gave up my little endeavour, but before I gave up I decided to try my luck with my humble 9B pencil.

And to my surprise I managed to turn this...

into this

with a splash of water cooling I'm off to see how far I can push it.
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

Cool, that's awesome!

It's just one more use for a pencil.
Soap

Post by Soap »

The wonders of mobile CPUs, great to see the thing in action ;)
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

Now, were did i put that pencil?

I've got to try this :D
Soap

Post by Soap »

Hmmm, maybe I can do that with my Duron aswell... Duron-M lol
Tolklein

Post by Tolklein »

Alas my victory was short lived, I still had to cut the required L6 bridges, and as the site suggested I only cut one in the beggining, unfortunately cutting the bridge had no effect whatsoever, so I cut another with still no effect on the CPU at all, I flicked all the DIP's checking everything I could think of to no avail. Puzzled, I pulled out all the stops and sliced the whole lot of them.

Now alas it refuses to boot, so I can only assume that I got a little carried away and cut too deep or mayhaps I cut something I should not have.

Regardless this was all done foolishly on a sunday before a public holiday so I will have to wait until Tuesday to get a replacement.

Am I correct in assuming that the Socket A Sempron is pretty much the same as a Athlon XP and will work with my current Mobo?

If so lets hope it fairs better than my belated Barton.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Damn dude :twisted:
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

dude, that sucks.

remember to not blame yourself but rather the lousy chip, and you'll feel much better-er
Tolklein

Post by Tolklein »

Bobendren wrote:dude, that sucks.

remember to not blame yourself but rather the lousy chip, and you'll feel much better-er
Ha, it's all good, I'm just disapointed I didn't get a chance to see how far I could clock it.

I'll be trying my luck again later when get to buying a new CPU, I just hope these new Semprons are configured the same.

Does anyone know the differences between the Sempron and the XP's?
Soap

Post by Soap »

The Sempron's are Thoroughbred-B's with 1 less multiplier than an equivalent Thorughbred. They are pretty good and also overclock well.
Soap

Post by Soap »

Bobendren wrote:dude, that sucks.

That's the typical Bobendren-approach. If you screw it up, blame it on the hardware :lol:
Tolklein

Post by Tolklein »

Yeah stupid Chip, can't even handle getting gutted by my 2" razor blade,

After closer examination I seemed to have nicked some of the adjacent circuitry, Hmm I guess that voids the warranty then? Maybe I can blame it on rats.
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

Soap wrote:That's the typical Bobendren-approach. If you screw it up, blame it on the hardware :lol:
well i haven't blown anything up yet in my overclocking endeavors. but when i do, i'll be sure to blame it on the hardware :D
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

:lol:

nice plan :lol: