Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
Zell
Permanently Banned

Post by Zell »

I just think that the moderators should change the "specs" required for avatars.
Most forums require that you have one of the two requirements:
eg. Either less than 37KB OR less than 150*180 pixels.

This site has a limit of 16KB (the last time I checked) AND you have to have less than 120 by 150 pioxels I think it is.
It is possible to meet one of the requirements, but impossible to meet both, unless you have a crappy avi.

Besides, neon_chameleon's avi is WAAAAAAY beyond the limits.
Sorry neon, but you are a good example. :lol:
So, please do something about this mods.

Zell.
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

some people like to create animated avatars, these carry some weight. i'm not certain what you are trying to point out but i think that the size limit is good as we have members who browse the forums who have slow connections.

and i think cameron is the one who has to change it, not the mods.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

I just started working on creating sig's and avie's and to try and get it below the 20k requirement is hard... Everytime I think it will fit it doesn't and then I have to remove another cool effect... The 450x120 is ok but not for 20k's...

We don't want to tell the mods what to do though, we just want to give them something to at least consider...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
jee

Post by jee »

Zell, firstly there are limits because many of us use slow coach connections. I don't think that you necissarily need to have a crappy avi to fit the size given, there are interesting and satisfying ones on this forum. Show us how inventive you are. And the cameleon's avi is within the limits.

In connection with the sig, neon knows about his sig being to large and am in the process of fixing that.

oh, and I will have to admit, you sound like a perpetulant little boy.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Upload avatar from your machine:
This option allows you to upload an image that is currently saved on your PC. Select Browse to browse your PC for the mentioned picture. Once you have found your picture on your PC, select it and hit the Open button. If your picture does not meet the requirements you will get an error message stating so. Look at point no. 4 to see the requirements.
Jee has said it all, I see some magnificent Avi's and sigs on this forum, I mean look at mine :D

Zell_D,
your avi is not crappy,
your avi is fine;
I really hope you are happy
Almost as good as mine!
Last edited by lancelot on 05 Apr 2005, 17:03, edited 3 times in total.
Zell
Permanently Banned

Post by Zell »

jee wrote:Zell, firstly there are limits because many of us use slow coach connections. I don't think that you necissarily need to have a crappy avi to fit the size given, there are interesting and satisfying ones on this forum. Show us how inventive you are. And the cameleon's avi is within the limits.

In connection with the sig, neon knows about his sig being to large and am in the process of fixing that.

Well jee, I thought that you were beyond flaming.

I have a slow coach connection, and if an avi is a little bigger than these specs, then it will make a difference of a few seconds. Neon agrees totally with me in both the slow coach connections, and the size of the avatars.
Maybe we should hold a poll to see if people would mind the lag of a few seconds versus the increase in quality of avatars.
These forums are designed for the users after all.

Anybody agree, disagree?

Zell.

Edit: I totally agree that you guys can have good avatars, but what I am saying, is that it is very difficult to get a good avatar to fit within those specs. A little freedom of choice with avatars is good, as avatars represent you.

Edit2: Oh lancelot, this avi is merely temporary. It was the only one in google search that would fit, and the avi I want will be much bigger than this, I wish Narkath luck in making my avi...
Last edited by Zell on 05 Apr 2005, 17:00, edited 2 times in total.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

lancelot wrote:Upload avatar from your machine:
This option allows you to upload an image that is currently saved on your PC. Select Browse to browse your PC for the mentioned picture. Once you have found your picture on your PC, select it and hit the Open button. If your picture does not meet the requirements you will get an error message stating so. Look at point no. 4 to see the requirements.
Jee has said it all, I see some magnificent Avi's and sigs on this forum, I mean look at mine :D
at least it doesnt include a crappy ARSEnal logo on the shield !! (sorry envin)
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

i'm happy with what we have but that's just my opinion.

and i fail to see in what way jee flamed anyone.

[edit] oh, that last statement of hers sounded more like an observation :wink:

[edit edit] i can't make an avatar that goes above 11k to begin with unless i'm making a signature. and if you make a gif it's gonna expand like a bloated pig and you are going to have to compromise image quality to get it to the right size if it's too big, so you are still going to be stuck with a low quality avatar. or that's my 2c.
Last edited by Kher-za on 05 Apr 2005, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
jee

Post by jee »

Zell_D wrote: Well jee, I thought that you were beyond flaming.

Zell.
Being honest is flaming? hmmm you learn everyday - and Zell, you are a newcomer - AND a knight - tsk tsk tsk .... :twisted:

@ the Chartman! Hmm I must admit I miss the little green man... but its not too bad - i'm just sorry I saw the first one in all its glory! :D
Last edited by jee on 05 Apr 2005, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

AAH Arsenal rule OK!

Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Zell_D wrote:
jee wrote:Zell, firstly there are limits because many of us use slow coach connections. I don't think that you necissarily need to have a crappy avi to fit the size given, there are interesting and satisfying ones on this forum. Show us how inventive you are. And the cameleon's avi is within the limits.

Well jee, I thought that you were beyond flaming.

I have a slow coach connection, and if an avi is a little bigger than these specs, then it will make a difference of a few seconds. Neon agrees totally with me in both the slow coach connections, and the size of the avatars.
Maybe we should hold a poll to see if people would mind the lag of a few seconds versus the increase in quality of avatars.
These forums are designed for the users after all.

Anybody agree, disagree?

Zell.

Edit: I totally agree that you guys can have good avatars, but what I am saying, is that it is very difficult to get a good avatar to fit within those specs. A little freedom of choice with avatars is good, as avatars represent you.
If you want to show off you design skills, theres a thread for that. I avoid those threads, as they take ages to load, even from work. The avvy specs is there for a reason - if it aint broken dont fix it. Also... jee didnt flame you. You will KNOW if she did by means of a PM. I also think you are being petty about this. No offence.

S
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

I would love to be able to make a cool looking avi/sig but jee knows what she is talking about... Well, I think being a mod explains it all...

My avi isn't that gr8 but still in the specs so I don't think the requirements are to rediculous...
Last edited by Off-The-Chart on 05 Apr 2005, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Zell
Permanently Banned

Post by Zell »

jee wrote:oh, and I will have to admit, you sound like a perpetulant little boy.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't sound too flattering...
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Zell_D, look at my post above, You wre not being flamed,just lightly admonished, please do not take offense, you post good stuff and so soooooth out and chill, my man!
jee

Post by jee »

Zell_D wrote:
jee wrote:oh, and I will have to admit, you sound like a perpetulant little boy.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't sound too flattering...
Zell sweetie, you mean to say if a gal don't flatter you you feel youre all aflame? hmmmm I'm sorry if you see it that way - I will just have to remember that you are not to be teased, flirted with, joked with, moaned at - I do apologise, I abviously live by a different chivalrous code than you.
Last edited by jee on 05 Apr 2005, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

lancelot wrote:Zell_D, look at my post above, You wre not being flamed,just lightly admonished, please do not take offense, you post good stuff and so soooooth out and chill, my man!

Whot he said !! :stupid:

This is what I said:

Zell_D,
your avi is not crappy,
your avi is fine;
I really hope you are happy
Almost as good as mine!
Zell
Permanently Banned

Post by Zell »

Hehe, don't worry, I do not take things like this too seriously.
I know that jee jokes around, but still, I was flamed in another forums some place away from here... *dawdles*... and what she said was similar, sOOO.
Yeah. If I really was pissed, I wouldn't have written it as a little comment.
But let's get back on topic anyways.

What do you mods think if we held a poll to see what people think?

Zell.

Edit: Yes, If a gal don't flatter me I do feel flamed... :P
Only kiddin. Please do continue calling me names though, hehe. I don't want you to now treat me like a loser or something, so I will accept comments from you jee.

But all of you out there, don't take that as an invitation to flame me right? :lol:
jee

Post by jee »

Zell... NO one will be allowed to flame ;) unless you are in my culinary thread and there are some cream and blackberries and a grand cognac.
Zell
Permanently Banned

Post by Zell »

Hehe. And whiskey too perhaps?
Wow, thinking of that has just given me a headache.

You people must be wondering how I am on the internet right now, when my line is broken...
Answer is I am at university right now, and I have to walk home, so... *blames everybody here for replying to posts so quickly*

Zell.

Edit: I saw an amazing avatar with zell doing martial arts (motion avi), specs were 100*100pixels, but it was 83kb. Does 60 kb more make much of a difference? I'd say... well not much more than sigs, and we don't want to remove sigs, now do we???
Okay maybe it IS more than sigs, but that avi is just the most perfect avi for me... If only a moderator would let me use it... :bigups:
Hint hint...
Jane

Post by Jane »

When I look at all the avis and sigs around here, I see alot of creativity. All within limits.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Zell_D wrote:Hehe. And whiskey too perhaps?
Wow, thinking of that has just given me a headache.

You people must be wondering how I am on the internet right now, when my line is broken...
Answer is I am at university right now, and I have to walk home, so... *blames everybody here for replying to posts so quickly*

Zell.

Edit: I saw an amazing avatar with zell doing martial arts (motion avi), specs were 100*100pixels, but it was 83kb. Does 60 kb more make much of a difference? I'd say... well not much more than sigs, and we don't want to remove sigs, now do we???
Okay maybe it IS more than sigs, but that avi is just the most perfect avi for me... If only a moderator would let me use it... :bigups:
Hint hint...
Ahh, zell

The day the limits were thrown upon us, I also made the biggest flame , kicking and gouging at the people for doing / supporting this...

However, if you think about it a while, it makes sense...

You say you want a 80kb avi ...

60kb increase, put 20 users on a page, each with a 80kb avi, that IMMEDIATELY adds 1.2mb extra download... Now , if you know of the horrors that is 56kb, you might start seeing the light... Waiting an extra 5+ minutes for a forum thread to load is pure murder...

Also, increase the AVI size and everyone wants a bigger sig size as well, seeing as a sig is 'mos' suppooosed to be bigger than an avi... Another 2 mb goes into a page...

There sure are some totally awesome and really creative sigs around, just get someone to make you one :wink:
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Zell
Permanently Banned

Post by Zell »

Ok, I agree with you there slasher.
But why not compromise, and instead of having to comply with BOTH restrictions, maybe your avi must either be 16KB, OR 100*100 Pixels.
I mean, how big can a 100*100 avi really be?
Maybe one guy will have one big one, but in general this will work. It has on many other forums.

So what do you guys think?
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Zell_D wrote:... If only a moderator would let me use it... :bigups:
Hint hint...
Sorry bru, we don't have any influence on that - only the boss man can change that... :biggrin:
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

And the boss isnt budging. Sorry Zell_D but its just to keep the site as fast and neat as possible. 16k is more than enough for an avi. Take a look at most banners on sites, they are 468 X 60 pix and are normally below 20k in gif format.

BTW, the size limit for avis is 160 X 120 pix
Zell
Permanently Banned

Post by Zell »

Ah it's cool.
I understand your p.o.v. Cameron, seeing as it is for our good, I will go on to blame Telkom for my restrictions concerning avis.

BTW. I was reading an old Playstation Magazine last night (Official South African), and I saw your name mentioned there by Mars Mlodinski. Do you know why SA PSM stopped selling? I for one, would love to read a South African PSM that is less than R140.