hard drive temperatures

Any hardware related topics go here.
Prime

hard drive temperatures

Post by Prime »

hi

what is the standard temp that most harddrives run at.
i ask because mine seems to be getting very hot and under minimal load. im running 2 maxtor diamond max drives: 1x 30gig, 1X 40gig. the 30gig drive is the primary slave but for sum reason windows installed on it and not the 40 gig drive.

i estimate that it is reaching 40celcius which makes it the hottest component in my pentium 3.
trailb

Post by trailb »

im sure it much higher maxtors are hot. my maxtor runs at 35-55 depending on cooling and my seagate runs at 35-40 and my western d 35-45
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

my maxtor sata 120gig normally idles at around 56°C and has gone up to 65°C underload. it's also really really noisy. i'll never buy another maxtor again! seagate is the only way to go
Prime

Post by Prime »

as high as that!!

i fitted extra fans to my case and the temp went down.

surely it isnt healthy for the drives to run at that temp.

i think i shoud fit a HDD cooler.

im going to check what the safe temp range is with my uncle. just remebered that he works for maxtor.
Anarchy99

Post by Anarchy99 »

im sure it much higher maxtors are hot. my maxtor runs at 35-55 depending on cooling and my seagate runs at 35-40 and my western d 35-45
yes maxtors run hotter but 40 isnt anything to worry about but the cooler you can run it the long it will last.
DARKNESS BENEATH, DARKNESS WITHIN. MEMBER OF THE P.O.D
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

40 degrees isn't hot for a hard drive. It does affect the hdd if the hard temperature increases or decreases a lot over a short period of time.

Has anybody got any ideas to cool down the hdd's. I've got hdd coolers and an aircon'ed room yet they all do run pretty hot. Maybe a software tweak of some kind.

@da_ripper, use SpeedFan to see the exact temperature of the hdd in windows.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Hehehhe... My two 120gigs run cool to touch... cant be more than 25 C ...

Must be the two big chassis fans fitted right behind them, along with the nice gap between the two...

It shouldnt be much of a hassle at 35-40C Id say, but be wary of it going too high...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Prime

Post by Prime »

well considering that my P3 processor is cool to the touch it is hot for my case.

i added 2 case fans(1 front, 1 back) and the temp went down. maybe i should fit a 120mm fan to the side of my case

whats Speed fan. do i need thermal probes. how does it work. where can i get it.

off the topic what is the AGP aperture size and what does it do? i set mine up from 32mb to 256mb. was this a bad idea. will i damage my graphics card or mobo.
Prime

Post by Prime »

My uncles says 5-60 degrees celcius due to the high speed and he adds that the more the drive seeks the hotter it will get.

thats totally insane. if yor processor runs at 30 degrees think what a hard drive running at 40 degrees will do to the temp inside the case. 8O
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Mine runs at 35 during normal use, goes up to about 40 during intensive work... Anything higher than 55 is bad.