Web hosting costs

Get help on databases - MySQL, Oracle, Access, etc.
Road_Kill

Web hosting costs

Post by Road_Kill »

I was just wandering if someone could give me an estimate,if anyones knows! I was just wandering,round about how much would it cost to start up and maintain a website like sybaritic,or buycomputers.co.za. Does it cost a lot to have the whole shopping cart thing?How much would it cost to get someone to design something like that,or how hard would it be to teach myself?

If ant1 can give me an estimate it would be greatly appreciated!
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

The cost will vary greatly. It all depends on whether you hire somebody to design your website and what you are prepared to do yourself.

It can take months or years to know the way these online stores work. You have to have knowledge of PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS, even the legal issues of hosting online stores, also knowledge of how basic web hosting is done.

This is a long story, especially if one doesn't know a lot about it, but to answer your question roadkill...

An estimate can not be properly given in this case as there are no specifics.

Since you're starting from scratch the cost could be between R500-?. I don't know as you still have to take a lot of other costs into account.

*phew*! Did I answer ok? :wink:
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

Biker

Post by Biker »

Any guesses as to how much this will cost per month?

100 GB of bandwidth
5,000 MB disk space
2,000 email accounts
Free domain name
200 sub domains
500+ FREE Site Templates
FrontPage Extensions
PHP Enabled
MySQL Database
Bike®Image
If you can't blow them with brains, baffle them with Image.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

Look on the left hand side of the screen you will see an ad for hetzner. They are pretty much the best providers in SA at very competitive prices.

www.hetzner.co.za
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

As Envinyatar says, there is a lot that goes into it. You might also need to look at a merchant account which are difficult to get or you could use other services (like thirt.com) which handle take care of the payment for you . You might need a SSL digital certificate depending on which route you take.

As far as the shopping cart goes you could use an open source system called OSCommerce (http://www.oscommerce.com).
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

As for hosting try www.serv.co.za they have very good prices, I have been with them for about 4 months and have not had any problems at all. Their service is also excelent.

As for shoping carts, I personaly don't like OSCommerce. I prefer Zen Commerce (www.zen-cart.com), also a open source cart system, but i find it alot easier to use and manage.
Neelsie

Post by Neelsie »

maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Nice necro.