DeviantArt.com

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
Narkath

DeviantArt.com

Post by Narkath »

Is this an advertisement for a great site? Maybe. Is it a useful link? Most definitely.
For those of you who don't know (I may be preaching to the choir) http://www.deviantart.com is THE place for artists young and old, digital or otherwise, to post their work, chat and be devious.
It is possibly the biggest art community, nay, is the biggest, on the web. One of the freakiest things is watching the number of deviations (art works) increment every 2 seconds!
Most of the art you see on game covers or magazines, or anywhere on the net for that matter, will first be posted on deviant art before anywhere else...mostly. Even skins debut there before going to places like customize.org.
Categories, and their subcategories, include:
-Artisan Crafts
Furnacework, Textiles, Miscellaneous...
-Traditional Art
Drawings, Paintings, Mixed Media...
-Digital Art
Drawings, Miscellaneous, Photomanipulation...
-Photography
Art Photography, Photojournalism, Commercial Photography...
-Poetry
General Poetry, Romantic, Human Nature...
-Prose
Fiction, Non-Fiction...
-Designs & Interfaces
Miscellaneous, Web Interfaces, Tattoo Design...Animations, Humor, Movies...
-Flash
Animations, Humor, Movies...
-Wallpaper
Abstract, 3 Dimensional, Photo Manipulated...
-Skins & Themes
Media Players, Windows Utilities, Shell Themes...
-Icons
Avatars, Miscellaneous, Emoticons...
-Visualization Presets
AVS Presets, AVS APE, Milkdrop...
-Modules & Plugins
DesktopX Objects, Talisman Plug-Ins, Konfabulator...
-Handhelds
Today Themes, DashBoard, Backgrounds...
-Cell Phone Art
Themes, Miscellaneous, Photo Manipulations...
-Resources
Textures, Application Resources, Tutorials...
-Stock Photos
Women, Nature, Other...
-Screenshots
Windows, Other, MacOS...
(copy and pasted from devart) shew, that took a while.
Anyway, looking for help, inspiration, or whatever, it's there. Look no further.

-->> My devart page
My stuff is where it says "deviations". Did I mention it is a blog too? ^.^

Gotta love this place.

PS Artwork need not be of da vici quality. I've seen some um...younger art on the site and they've recieved quite a few good comments, if only for cute's sake.

PPS everyone probably knows about deviantart already. :p
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Me! I know of that site! Yes I do! :wink:

I do, infact, have a problem with that place. I have never seen a single brutally honest critique. Good or crap, the response is always "wow" and "whee" with a little "That doesn't look entirely right" somewhere inbetween.

People just seem to sugar coat everything to death. I'm not saying they should beat eachother with fish, just that they should say something constructive.
Narkath

Post by Narkath »

True. One of the reasons for this is because of the amount of deviant artists and browsers. When people browse the deviations, they only click on the works they find interesting or good, as there are so many. To look at all of an entire day's work, would take, well, it would take a long time. No one is going to click on a works they don't like just to make comments on what the artist can improve on.
When you submit a deviation, you have the option to have people give seriously constructive criticism or none, and also somewhere in between--like, could care either way.
If no one looks at my work I can only assume that it wasn't that good, or didn't look good as a thumbnail. You could always post a link in their forum and ask specifically for that kind of critique.

10 721 373 deviations at time of post!
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I'm sorry to disagree, but deviantart is the biggest cesspit of angstful, talentless losers on the internet.

As Psych0_Cr1tt3r pointed out, it is a place for talentless rejects to go, put up their crappy work, and get their egos inflated to the size of the moon by all the "WOW YOU'RE SO LEET" comments. Only about 1% of the work there is in any way half-decent. It wasn't so bad some time ago, but when sites get so big, they always go down in quality.

The site also allows its users to flagrantly promote unethically acquired software, which they then have no idea how to use anyway.

The reality is that deviantart, along with numerous other sites I won't mention, are a joke amongst professionals, and if you're wanting to improve your skills and grow as an artist, it's the last place you should be going.

Just my very harsh 2c.
human slave in an insect nation
Narkath

Post by Narkath »

That was harsh. Angstful, I will agree. DeviantART is basically goth central as far as I'm concerned. Talentless? I would have to disagree there. Sure I see either a lot of the same (tons of anime and death photo manips) or something that is IMHO not worthy of submitting, but at the end of the day its up to the voters to decide, by the method of +faving, which of the art works make front page. The talented ones I have favourited.
Unfortunately, people trade favs for friendship. This IMO is what degrades the site and not the amount of artists. Like "I love you, here is a fav." Kiss kiss hug hug and all that.
If devart were just the "talented" few, it wouldn't have that sense of community. I like the fact that almost everyone has a devart page.
I'm just rambling now... ^^
An example of talent among the rough: Greg Martin (~sirgreg) is an unbelievable space artist among other things. There are hundreds of space artists on the web, a few of them on devart, and a lot of them not so good, yet there he is, standing out among those who would be l33t space artists.
As far as tutorials go, devart has plenty. Again, some are not so good, some are. The favs determine whether it is displayed in the first few pages or not.
Another cool feature is that when you add someone to your devwatch, everytime they submit a work, devart notifies you. This devwatching method ensures that you stay aware of the "good" artists. Over time, if you pay attention, you could build up quite a watch list.
I think of deviantART as a world, one with artists, wannabe artists, and people who just like drawing, whether they are talented or not. It is up to the artist and the voters to decide which of these are which. Besides, I doubt devart would be as good without the little guy.

But hey, free space, sub domain, and blog. Can't complain about that.

I also brows www.gfxartist.com.
foulsoul

Post by foulsoul »

hi! /me waves
By chance read this post and it relates to what im busy with now. Here goes: Basicly Im busy starting a local deviantart like community, its based on IRC where people help each other and chat, with the site being there to host each member's portfolio and a forum for .. well theres a forum too.

So if your interested in art, design, digital painting, photography and 3D come say hello on #zacgforum on shadowfire. The site is http://infidel.myftp.org/fluentdev and yes its hosted over ADSL (for now) while its growing and im developing.
AkumA

Post by AkumA »

I like devianart, coz I know some people which are reeeally talented, believe me...but as someobody sad it...if a site gets big the quality goes down...