Half Life 2

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
dammod

Post by dammod »

What are your PC specs Ryne? What FPS do u get at those settings?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

dammod wrote:What are your PC specs Ryne? What FPS do u get at those settings?
dammod I mentioned it a few times in the long HL2 thread where I remember you also posted but anyway,

-Intel P4 800Mhz 3.0Ghz
-MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R
-MSI RX800XT Platinum Edition AGP 8x
-2Gb Transcend DDR400 (4x512Mb Dual-Channel)
-Maxtor 120Gb S-ATA150 7200rpm

Average 44/47 odd whilst highest runs in2 50/60's when there's not 2 much action onscreen & lowest I came accross being 33/35 something whilst fighting Striders. The rooftop fight being the lowest stage ingame.
dammod

Post by dammod »

Well no offence but my card really is owning yours. Mine is at the highest res with full graphics...pfffft...so much for Nvidia not doing well in HL2.

(I am not meaning to start an argument in any way, I really respect you Ryne. In my opinion you are one of the best people/poster on this forum)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Thanx dammod I like you 2 mate. A part of me want's 2 give you an indepth answer but I'm gonna decline.

Enjoy your card dude. I know you've been waiting mths for it.
dammod

Post by dammod »

Would it be asking too much if I asked you to give me the indepth answer. I want to know cause I find it strange.

off topic: good night all!
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Lets stay friends now dammod. Don't tempt me.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

GameArena Player's Choice Awards

Half-Life 2 is very quickly becoming everybody's Game of the Year and the readers at GameArena are certainly no exception.

Coming out with another four awards, Half-Life 2 has this time won:
Developer of the Year (Valve Software)
Best First Person Shooter
PC Game of the Year
Best Game of 2004

That's right, Half-Life 2 has beaten titles such as Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and World of Warcraft to the winning spot with nearly 50% of people's votes.
Half-Life 2 Scoops Another Four Awards

The guys over at Gamespy have recently announced their Game of the Year awards and once again Half-Life 2 has come out almost at the top.

Half-Life 2 has won the following awards:
Best Action Game (PC)
Best Graphics (PC)
Best Character (PC) - Dog
Game of the Year (PC)
Yes, that's right, another GotY award to add to the collection.

However, it's not over with Gamespy yet. Over the next week they will be announcing the winners of the Gamers' Choice Awards and on the 22nd December we'll find out if Half-Life 2 has been the true Game of the Year where the best game over the last year across all platforms is awarded with the Overall Game of the Year award.
IGN Awards - Half-Life 2 Scoops Three More

In what seems to be a bumper day for awards announcements, IGN have announced the winners of their 2004 awards. As expected, our favourite game pretty much cleaned up in the categories it was eligible for, winning:
Best First-Person Shooter

Best Graphics

PC Game of the Year

So that makes two GotY awards in one day, and hopefully the first of many.

Edge Awards - Half-Life 2 Scoops Three

The good people at the hardcore gaming magazine Edge have announced the winners of their 2004 awards, with Half-Life 2 winning three including the coveted Best Game award.

The final results were as follows:
The 2004 Edge Award for Best Game
Half-Life 2 (PC)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure (Gamecube)
Halo 2 (Xbox)

The 2004 Edge Award for Innovation
Half-Life 2 (PC)
Katamari Damacy (PS2)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure (Gamecube)

The 2004 Edge Award for Best Visual Design
Half-Life 2 (PC)
Far Cry (PC)
Katamari Damacy (PS2)
Congratulations to everybody at Valve for this achievement.

http://www.gamearena.com.au/features/pl ... ds/?page=0

http://goty.gamespy.com/

http://bestof.ign.com/2004/pc/4.html
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

HL 2 ownorz.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
halo

Post by halo »

i couldnt have said that any better neon.... WOW, thats alot of prizes for a game that has only been out for just over a month....:D
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

I'm not so sure that HL 2 deserves best graphics... both Far Cry and Doom 3 look better than HL 2...

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
style121

Post by style121 »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:I'm not so sure that HL 2 deserves best graphics... both Far Cry and Doom 3 look better than HL 2...

Yeh but the difference is you could see the graphics in Far Cry and Half Life
halo

Post by halo »

:lol:

tell me style have you watch the whole movie of that guy? i think that there is something wrong with that picture.... alyx doesnt move right.... sorry she doesnt move, she FLOATS!!!!!. some of the AI controlled combine troops look as if they were waiting for he and had their hands wide open to greet him... i dont now there is something wrong... he plays well, ill give him that....
style121

Post by style121 »

Yeh Halo, I've watched a lot of it and noticed how sometimes he completely misses combine troops, yet you see them hit the ground with the flatline sound.

Dunno dude, I don't think it would've been posted on so many sites if it wasn't legit. Plus the resolution is really bad, so maybe that can be a reason why we see strange bugs.
halo

Post by halo »

but what about alyx... she floats! and the same thing with most of the combine troops.... i just found it wierd thats all.... but i take my hat off... that guy can play....
Jtaute

Post by Jtaute »

so alyx is a floater?! hmm... interesting.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

style121 wrote:
OnlyOneKenobi wrote:I'm not so sure that HL 2 deserves best graphics... both Far Cry and Doom 3 look better than HL 2...

Yeh but the difference is you could see the graphics in Far Cry and Half Life
and Doom 3... :roll:

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
halo

Post by halo »

he means that the lights are always out in doom 3 and you can see anything to enjoy the amazing graphics that the game has....
HdB

Post by HdB »

Onlyone: Did you fix your half-life install? We had to go through the update this weekend, and also had a bit of trouble with the game being stuck at 99%
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ s939 | Gecube 3870 OC edition
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Yeah HL 2 works now, I never had the 99% problem with CSS, but it's not worth wasting my time to get Counterstrike working. I have better multiplayer games.

style121

Post by style121 »

halo wrote:he means that the lights are always out in doom 3 and you can see anything to enjoy the amazing graphics that the game has....

EXACTLY!

But credit is deserved. The graphics were great. I just need to convey my sarcasm a little better it seems
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Try as I might I cannot understand why people complain about the darkness in a game which you knew was going to be dark.

It's like buying a pizza and complaining because it has cheese on it.

halo

Post by halo »

tell me... many people have upgraded the machines so they can play doom 3 and i dont think its fair if most of the action is in the dark.... i agree that the graphics are jaw dropping b ut half the time you can see a thing... you are just firing in the dark.............
style121

Post by style121 »

Yes but without the flashlight mod you would have missed tons of effects. Especially in Hell when you lose your flashlight. We don't need to start another debate, the game was good, just suffered a little because of the lack of light.
halo

Post by halo »

i know that... what i dont get is why everyone always complains about either HL2 or Doom3... these two games are completely different in ever way.... i dont know... i guess its because they are both FPS we automaticly compare....
dammod

Post by dammod »

Guys I still dont get it...why does my GF6 Ultra play HL2 better than some one with a X800XT.