The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

Post by Ron2K »

Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
freeloader

Post by freeloader »

Ron2K wrote:The 10 Commandments of Left 4 Dead

I was bored, OK? :wink:
Thou shalt not fight over who playest as Zoey.
As long as i get zoey their will not be any fights :wink:
Q9400, 4GB DDR3-1333, 585W PSU, Antec SLK3000B, DP455G, 8800 GT
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

So I decided to buy this game after much deliberation (I really dont like Zombies :( ).

Off I go to BTGames and they are out of stock, off I go to IC same answer, CNA no stock so my last choice: Look and Listen. Lo and Behold there is one disc sitting on the shelf, I am so happy that I pick it up faster than you can blink notice the plastic wrap is a little is not your usual plastic wrap but I dont think anything of it. Go to the counter they show me the disc I note a few scratches on the DVD, which gets written on the slip and off I go home to install and play :D.

Well...

:(

It appears that this CD-Key is already in use and registered with another Steam Account :?. So I go to the Steam site follow the guide that tells me how to go about resetting the key, take the photo with the purchase slip and key visible and email Steam. I have a sneaky suspicion that this game has been used and Look and Listen (knowing or unknowing) have sold the game second hand as new but how to proof it? I can take a screenshot of error message, print it and go back and tell them about it however Steam is now going to invalidate the CD-Key and that persons copy will no longer function and I will get the key transferred to my account. I can take the game back because of the scratches on the DVD (minor surface scratches) however the key will be useless and Steam will be transferring it to my account. Any ideas? I think I am going to confront Look and Listen because this amounts to fraud not sure what I will ask from them since Steam will transfer the key. Oh and anyone who has the game could you please tell me if you get a game manual with the game? I just have the DVD box with Left 4 Dead page that has the CD-Key on.

So in future if the plastic looks dodgy don't buy it :(.

*edit*

If it did come with a manual please post a pic of it in the dvd box with the dvd to help strengthen my case ;). And dont post a photo with your CD-Key viewable ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Right, I'm probably going to get a 2 week ban for posting this, but what the heck.

I know the reply is a bit late, but it might be of worth still, Anakha56.
The L4D box doesn't come with a manual, just a slip of paper with the cd-key and basic controls.

On another note, who here still plays?
I only play occasionally, like twice a week at best.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

DarkStar wrote:The L4D box doesn't come with a manual, just a slip of paper with the cd-key and basic controls.
You don't really need a manual to play Left 4 Dead, however for new players the game is designed to show you in-game tips along the way. The game also tracks your progress and once you've become adept enough at certain things the game stops showing you those in-game tips.
DarkStar wrote:On another note, who here still plays?
I only play occasionally, like twice a week at best.
I still play though not as often as I'd like to as my PC sorta got downgraded when I did a motherboard upgrade. So my graphics card isn't powerful enough to offer an enjoyable gameplay experience. :( Though hopefully I'll be getting a new graphics card soon.

What I would like to post about is for people who are still fans and would like to change the somewhat ugly and default skin of Steam to something a little more awesome:

Download here.

EDIT:

Almost forgot a recent update means you can now use custom maps with L4D! Grab some from http://www.l4dmaps.com or www.l4dmods.com. :D
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.techpowerup.com/index.php?100906
Valve Announces More Left 4 Dead DLC
Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the next major downloadable content (DLC) update for its co-operative zombie thriller, Left 4 Dead (L4D), the #1 new game title on Xbox 360 and PC in 2008.

Entitled "Crash Course," the latest DLC delivers new single-player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay to both platforms. Targeted for release in September, "Crash Course" bridges the gap between the end of the "No Mercy" campaign and the beginning of "Death Toll" in the original game, expanding the game universe with new locations, new dialogue from the original cast, and an explosive finale.

While containing both Survival maps and a Co-operative Campaign, the primary goal of "Crash" is to deliver a complete Versus mode experience in just 30 minutes, resulting in a streamlined version of the game's existing Versus campaigns. A recharge timer for infected teammates has also been added, and item spawn behavior has changed for more balanced gameplay.

"Since the release of Left 4 Dead last November, the design team has been excited about creating new experiences for this world and allowing players to do the same, by releasing much of our internal toolset, like the Survival Pack and Authoring Tools," said Gabe Newell. "We're working with the fans toward the ongoing entertainment value of the product."

Left 4 Dead is an action horror game from Valve that blends the social entertainment experience of multiplayer games such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress with the dramatic, narrative experience made popular in single player action game classics such as the Half-Life series of games. Released in November of 2008, L4D has earned over 50 industry awards from outlets around the world and sold almost 3 million copies worldwide.

Left 4 Dead: Crash Course is targeted for release in September and will be available free of charge on the PC and for 560 Gamer points on Xbox Live.
WOOT!!!

So Ron, FL and rusty how about a weekend to killing Zombies in the new DLC? :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

HELL YEAH! :mrgreen:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

This is awesome news! :D I can't wait for the end of the month to get my new graphics card and 22" LCD that will be sure to make this game an even more enjoyable and awesome experience for me! :mrgreen:
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

Sounds good. :D
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

560 Gamer points on Xbox Live
:? :lol: this makes sense?

@Anakha56: only if i get to stir with the witch and run away... :twisted:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: Thats cool cause I will run with you and whoever is the slowest gets the witch :twisted:
freeloader

Post by freeloader »

Katie can be tank bait as usual :twisted:
Q9400, 4GB DDR3-1333, 585W PSU, Antec SLK3000B, DP455G, 8800 GT
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Actually I had a thought, whoever disturbs the witch gets attacked by her right? So what happens if all 4 players shoot her at the same time with a rifle? Who will she chase then? Will she run around in circles till she dies? Like a dog chasing its tail? :P
NealeDeadlyAlien

I still would like to join one of your games sometime :D
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:I still would like to join one of your games sometime :D
Add me on Steam if you have not and if we have time this weekend I am sure a game or two could be had ;). My nick for Steam is the same as here...
NealeDeadlyAlien

Anakha56 wrote:
NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:I still would like to join one of your games sometime :D
Add me on Steam if you have not and if we have time this weekend I am sure a game or two could be had ;). My nick for Steam is the same as here...
Sounds awesome mate, my nick is the same aswell.

Hopefully I can get my internet working on my home PC this weekend and then enjoy a game or 2.

Oh btw if we do decide to have a game, can I connect via IP aswell?
NealeDeadlyAlien

Anakha56 wrote:Actually I had a thought, whoever disturbs the witch gets attacked by her right? So what happens if all 4 players shoot her at the same time with a rifle? Who will she chase then? Will she run around in circles till she dies? Like a dog chasing its tail? :P
I just throw a molotov at her, alot more interesting. :lol:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

We connect through Steam, no idea how to connect through IP :?...
NealeDeadlyAlien

Anakha56 wrote:We connect through Steam, no idea how to connect through IP :?...
Oh ok just wondering...

Umm to connect through IP, I assume you would need to start a game then give me your ip config for that game and then I open my console and type "connect + IP I think.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

friends don't let friends do IP... simpler to just connect to friends... :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

:lol:
to ápeiro anima
NealeDeadlyAlien

rustypup wrote:friends don't let friends do IP... simpler to just connect to friends... :wink:
:lol: :lol: disturbing I must admit.
Last edited by NealeDeadlyAlien on 06 Aug 2009, 16:16, edited 2 times in total.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

rustypup wrote:friends don't let friends do IP... simpler to just connect to friends... :wink:
+100! :lol: :P
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

rustypup wrote:@Anakha56: only if i get to stir with the witch and run away... :twisted:
You could try, but stuffing around might make Ron2K start a vote to ban you... :P

*runs*
NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:Oh btw if we do decide to have a game, can I connect via IP aswell?
That kinda defeats the point of the Steam Community and friends list? :? One thing you might wanna do is add the SAIX group and IS Group to your list of groups so that their L4D servers show up on the right hand side of the main screen in L4D; it makes it a lot simpler to join a server that is locally based.

Lastly if anyone wants to add me, nick is the same, profile is here. ;)
NealeDeadlyAlien

Xiphan wrote:
rustypup wrote:@Anakha56: only if i get to stir with the witch and run away... :twisted:
You could try, but stuffing around might make Ron2K start a vote to ban you... :P

*runs*
NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:Oh btw if we do decide to have a game, can I connect via IP aswell?
That kinda defeats the point of the Steam Community and friends list? :? One thing you might wanna do is add the SAIX group and IS Group to your list of groups so that their L4D servers show up on the right hand side of the main screen in L4D; it makes it a lot simpler to join a server that is locally based.

Lastly if anyone wants to add me, nick is the same, profile is here. ;)
Ahh that sounds like a better Idea, maybe I shall do that.