Project: 777 (Finally a small update 18-04-2008)

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
Prime

Post by Prime »

screws look the best.

get some spare fans screws and drill 5mm holes in the perspex and the side panel and screw it together. the fan screw are cod it best to widen the side panels holes out to 6mm.

clamp the perspex and metal together in a vice(use wooden jaws or something that won't scrath and keep the wrapping on the perspex till you acually mount it. then mark and drill your holes. dead easy, looks good and makes the panel strong. just leave enough room between the edges of the perspex and the panel to alow you to slide the panel on and off
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Sorry for the lack of updates the past couple weeks. Been really busy but I have managed to squash time in for my mod! Done quite a lot so far. I just have to mount the perspex on the panel and then the saving game starts

First I cut 2x4 holes for the fan support. I've changed the design a bit because if I would go with the original design it looked to sqashed

Bought 2 Vantec UV LED fans the other day. I just used them as measurements. Im gonna mount these two inside the case and mount the 2 Antecs on the perspex...purely for looks

This is what the fan looks like when its running

With the protective paper off (obviously) this is what the side panel is going to look like (the Antec fans will replace these ones eventually)

I made ventilation holes for the 2 fans that Im gonna mount on the perspex. I used my cut out for a template. It had the mount support holes and enough ventilation holes. I clamped the perspex to the template and drilled 234 holes

The final fan support and ventilation

All I need to do know is mount the perspex to the panel and then I gotta save like mad for mod stuff, CPU, RAM, PSU...
Im hoping to get the whole panel done with the perspex mounted early this week! My birthday is coming up soon (22nd December :)) and christmas so Im hoping to get bucket loads of cash! Will have lots of updates from the 26th onwards!

What you guys think so far?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Very very very cool :D :D

Just one question. Why didn't you make holes here too?

(the red areas)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Good on you for drilling all those holes.

Having done this before I have some bad news for you.

Your fans will be loud as hell and have very limited airflow.

Sorry.
Judas

Post by Judas »

Looking good man! :bigups:

Can't wait to see the finished product, it should be really good :D.
'One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.'
- Friedrich Nietzsche

'Do not argue with Judas, nube, that would be foolish!'
- D3PART3D
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Very very very cool

Just one question. Why didn't you make holes here too?
Thanks man!
I'm probably gonna drill those a bit later. I thought it looked a bit funny! Will try do that soon
maxxis wrote:Good on you for drilling all those holes.

Having done this before I have some bad news for you.

Your fans will be loud as hell and have very limited airflow.

Sorry.
My hand was madly sore afterwards but it was worth it. I put the fans in now and they are pretty loud. The air flow is average but Im not planning to OC my rig...yet so I shouldnt have any problems
Judas wrote:Looking good man!

Can't wait to see the finished product, it should be really good .
Im gonna post the finished product soon! Its all done! All I need to do now is save like mad and its 100%. The window is all done though!

Thanks for all the interest guys :D
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Had spare time today so I finished my perspex window!
Here's what I did:

I bought Alan Key Screws and drill bit (both 3.5mm) to mount the perspex to the panel

I used 10 screws to mount the perspex

I mounted the fans to the perspex. I still gotta sleeve the cables going from the fans to the controller. I don't even know if these are gonna be the final fans...

The FINAL mod! Window installed with the fans!!!! Im using my old 200W PSU from my old rig thats why its not sleeved yet. Planning on getting a AOpen 450W soon!

Cant wait to see what the inside of my case looks like when I've got the 2 CCFL's and all 4 fans installed. Just the 2 fans make a nice glow!

I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Um dude... Aren't those fans making noise? It could be from airflow restriction. There are too few holes and they seem rather small. Nice work.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

I34z1k wrote:Um dude... Aren't those fans making noise? It could be from airflow restriction. There are too few holes and they seem rather small. Nice work.
They not unbearably noisey. Im playing loud music most of the time anyway. The holes I drilled are from the piece I cut out where the perspex now is.
I34z1k wrote:There are too few holes
Dude, there 234 holes...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

silv3rback wrote:Dude, there 234 holes...
That's irrelevant. Doesn't matter how many there are, the point is that there aren't enough ;)
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

What should I do then?
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Maybe cut a small square in the middle or something like that? I like the look of the small holes though!
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

I was thinking about cutting a large circle for the fans but I've never played with perspex before so I was cautious this time! It's not that bad. Air flow is still decent and I'm putting a nice grill over it to cover the holes. Im happy with it
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

OMG, not a grill aswell 8O
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

I34z1k wrote:OMG, not a grill aswell 8O
Whats wrong now? It doesnt matter to me about noise. My fans aint that noisey now even. I dont like the look of the holes in the perspex, thats why I wanna cover it with a grill
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

silv3rback wrote:
I34z1k wrote:OMG, not a grill aswell 8O
Whats wrong now? It doesnt matter to me about noise. My fans aint that noisey now even. I dont like the look of the holes in the perspex, thats why I wanna cover it with a grill
I really like that look of the holes there!!! Im thinking of maybe copying it for my mod if that will be k?
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

You are killing the airflow. Might aswell have a 40mm fan there instead. Just trying to help man.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

I34z1k wrote:You are killing the airflow. Might aswell have a 40mm fan there instead. Just trying to help man.
I know bro. Shot for the help btw! Im planning to mount the fans on the outside of the perspex and I chose the 'smallest' grill so it wouldnt get the airflow down to hectically. Heres the grill I wanna get:

You think I should even get the grill? For me it would only make the case a cleaner finish...and they only R30 each
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

PsyClown wrote:I really like that look of the holes there!!! Im thinking of maybe copying it for my mod if that will be k?
Hey no prob dude! Just make sure to spray my name in FAT letter along the side of the case and you owe me R50 for copyright :wink:
Naaah, just playing man. PM if you need help with something!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

PsyCLown wrote:Maybe cut a small square in the middle or something like that?
Quickly just listen to what you just said...

A hole in the center would serve absolutely NO purpose. There's no airflow in the center, the center of a fan has a "deadspot", so a hole there wouldn't help JACK.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
PsyCLown wrote:Maybe cut a small square in the middle or something like that?
Quickly just listen to what you just said...

A hole in the center would serve absolutely NO purpose. There's no airflow in the center, the center of a fan has a "deadspot", so a hole there wouldn't help JACK.
grr, I do that way too often. I should think before I post! Ill make that 1 of my new years thinky( forgot what you call it, where you make goals for yourself?)

Spoiler (show)
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

Cool, but the airflow is seriously restricted! Rather cut a full sized hole and then cover it with that grill you posted.
mOUSIE

Post by mOUSIE »

Bobendren wrote:Cool, but the airflow is seriously restricted! Rather cut a full sized hole and then cover it with that grill you posted.
yeah i agree with bobendren, but u might have a problem with getting the center point for the drill bit coz of all the smaller holes.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

silv3rback wrote:I was thinking about cutting a large circle for the fans but I've never played with perspex before so I was cautious this time! It's not that bad. Air flow is still decent and I'm putting a nice grill over it to cover the holes. Im happy with it
Dont try to rework that bit. A larger drill bit will kill the perspex. Been there.

Rather scrap the window and restart. Look at Daes mod for some perspex inspiration.
Death666

Post by Death666 »

I agree with maxxis. Maybe keep that for another project? :P Here is an idea that i drafted quickly, have a look and see. instead of drilling holes for air, cut out the diameter of the fan, and cover ti with fine chicken mesh. install the fans inside, and the grills on the outside. (the mesh is too keep da bugs out!) :P

\\\"Do not fear death, for it is not an end, but tis a new beginning...\\\"