DoOb's Design - Something new

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
jee

Post by jee »

hmm i'm fortunate enough to "own" some of crttr's work - have some on my blog too.. i just wish he wants to create some more dragons for me... well its going to be holiday time soon....... *wink*
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

chez wrote:
Sojourn wrote:
chez wrote:some of my bro's work....

No offense chez, but some of those seriously look like copy\paste repro's with a bit of touch-up's around the edges to claim it as "own work".

s

I can assure you that they are all original and his own work. Walk into any Billabong Shop in S.A and you'll see the same style on the walls and ceilings. He starts from scratch and it's all airbrushed. Why are you guys so quick to accuse people of copying other peoples work? If you've seen anything similar then someone has copied his work. He's been doing this for 25 years! The Billabong shop in Cresta is his work, all of them are. I was there when the shop was 4 blank walls and I watched him create it. what the hell is wrong with you....do you hate the fact that someone has a talent that you don't so you automatically assume that it's copied?? :roll: :roll:

All the Billabong S.A and Country Feeling clothes that you see...all the artwork on those clothes is his as well.

But whateva...you believe what you want........
What is the chances that ONE site in SA have two widely known artists on one website in some form ? (Leigh and now your brother). You cannot blame me for thinking that your brother copied work from Stephen Bibb... whats the chances that he would turn out TO BE Stephen Bibb?? If anything, pls stop getting on your horse and just correct me then... and be grateful that there is people out there that hates people stealing other people's work.

I can assure you there is nothing wrong with me...

s
chez

Post by chez »

Sojourn wrote:
chez wrote:
Sojourn wrote:
chez wrote:some of my bro's work....

No offense chez, but some of those seriously look like copy\paste repro's with a bit of touch-up's around the edges to claim it as "own work".

s

I can assure you that they are all original and his own work. Walk into any Billabong Shop in S.A and you'll see the same style on the walls and ceilings. He starts from scratch and it's all airbrushed. Why are you guys so quick to accuse people of copying other peoples work? If you've seen anything similar then someone has copied his work. He's been doing this for 25 years! The Billabong shop in Cresta is his work, all of them are. I was there when the shop was 4 blank walls and I watched him create it. what the hell is wrong with you....do you hate the fact that someone has a talent that you don't so you automatically assume that it's copied?? :roll: :roll:

All the Billabong S.A and Country Feeling clothes that you see...all the artwork on those clothes is his as well.

But whateva...you believe what you want........
What is the chances that ONE site in SA have two widely known artists on one website in some form ? (Leigh and now your brother). You cannot blame me for thinking that your brother copied work from Stephen Bibb... whats the chances that he would turn out TO BE Stephen Bibb?? If anything, pls stop getting on your horse and just correct me then... and be grateful that there is people out there that hates people stealing other people's work.

I can assure you there is nothing wrong with me...

s

So you actually thought he copied his work from Stephen Bibb?? You've heard of Steve then? That's a good thing. Yes he's my big brother and a great artist and a legend in J-Bay. He got ALL the artistic talent in the family. And if I was actually on my high horse...trust me...you would know it :wink:
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

My High School I went to, Designed this for some function.

The wording in the badge at the bottom didnt come out because is Printed the screen and this was done in Freehand.

From This:

To This:

My other stuff from my Hirt and Carter Port Folio. Thought i would put it up now aswell now that i have DSL

Basic Business Card I did for a Company

Kinda Alright Spread. Nothing Fancy

I wanna Do some more Brush work like that Cd Cover on the front page.
Thinking of tracing that one skull thingy on the 3rd or so page.

DoOb's
Last edited by DoOb on 21 Mar 2007, 10:07, edited 4 times in total.
Afflict

Post by Afflict »

@ the rest of the spam on this thread : I think that do0b is doing well, his artwork is good. I know from personal experience that one cannot deliver 100% all the time especially if art work is your part time passion. Subtract time on other hobbies & social life and you virtually end up with 2 or 3 hours to spend on practicing your art. (Like I said in my case)

Just because someone says it's k&k, you shouldn't stop. Every artist has and develops his own style. This greatly contributes to what makes the artist unique, just because you have had art lessons doesn't make you pro or good. it helps, I agree on that, and your art work does probably improve with the more knowledge you gain of technique & theory, however be assured this will not make you a great artist over night. If you cannot apply the knowledge or technique you might as well stop all together, or just keep on bashing till you evolve to that next level of art.

I think allot of this art work is great, and yes some of them better than others, yet personal preference is what makes me like one more than the other and everyone in this forum has different preferences. So yeah well all like different pics more than others.

do0b keep it up, you'll go far. I myself am also self taught, so yeah so much for those classes... Which I will probably still attend one day.
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Thanks Afflict. Everything above i will agree on. Thanks alot man.
I Wanna do some more work sometime. Tracing and brush work.
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Doob, can you do spraypainting? Like grafitti style??

With my upcoming mod, I want someone to spraypaint the name of my mod on the side panel. Reason I'm asking is because this right here, these designs you have done... dude... It's the SHAAIT!!!

Please let me know. Via PM, GTalk, MSN, or email... Even MXIT or SMS will work!! !!STALKER!! :lol:
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Knowing me. Yea I probably could
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

DarkRanger wrote:Doob, can you do spraypainting? Like grafitti style??

With my upcoming mod, I want someone to spraypaint the name of my mod on the side panel. Reason I'm asking is because this right here, these designs you have done... dude... It's the SHAAIT!!!

Please let me know. Via PM, GTalk, MSN, or email... Even MXIT or SMS will work!! !!STALKER!! :lol:
It's gonna look crap unless you do it with an Airbrush ;)
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

@Do0b I think that you work is excellent. I worked as a graphic designer for many years and your stuff is very good.
Tander

Post by Tander »

Some awsome work there buddy, I wish i knew PS..:(
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

You nailed that DEMAND EXCELLENCE pyramid/circly thing. The other stuff I'm not digging so much.

Mind if I ask how you did that?

Also, you should think about putting up a website for yourself so the world at large can see your freelance abilities.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

hey doobs. Barret and I were talking and saying how cool it would be if someone animated the school badge and made the discus guy spin around and throw the discus at the viewer.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
capanno

Post by capanno »

Tribble wrote:@Do0b I think that you work is excellent. I worked as a graphic designer for many years and your stuff is very good.
I beg to differ. Its not "very good".

Doob, just before I start, Ive got no intention to flame or brake you down. I can see your going in the right direction so I will give critique to help you progress. :D

Firstly, I can see that you have a sense for composition, and thats a good thing.

I'll start at the top:

In the layout you did for the school... Ive never seen beveled borders used in any professional work. Ive found it to work well for making bullets and smaller pictures, but thats it. Same goes for the text thats beveled. The fonts you used doesn't fit with whats being advertised. I would have used a more elegant type font. Also more pastel colors, the dark blue at the bottom of the gradient is not nice.

From then on downwards its not too bad. Just be careful in the sas sole footware business card the gradient is too extreme. Should look better when its softened up.

I dont know if you made it but the levi strauss & co label is friken cool!

Then.. the platinum vacation club business card... Why is the text so small? Your going to need a magnifying glass to read it. :D You should also try using a specific color scheme, like complementary colors, contrasting etc. Remember that colors have different emotional effects on people. But I wont go into that. Red to yellow is considered warm, urgent, important. Purple to green are cooler colors. More peaceful and elegant. You should keep that in mind. What are you advertising / promoting, and what colors will go with it.

The matrix review is ok, the numbers in the background just cause too much noise, and i dont really like the soft edges of the screenshots.

If you want me to I will remake the school brochure and vacation card to show you what I mean.

Keep it up. keep working!

cheers
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Doob, just before I start, Ive got no intention to flame or brake you down. I can see your going in the right direction so I will give critique to help you progress. Very Happy

Firstly, I can see that you have a sense for composition, and thats a good thing.
No Worries Capanno, i completely understand. I have began my 2nd week of work at my new job. and its going well, i am learning as i go. I know you have all intention to help me out, thanks man. Will comment on each piece.
In the layout you did for the school... Ive never seen beveled borders used in any professional work. Ive found it to work well for making bullets and smaller pictures, but thats it. Same goes for the text thats beveled. The fonts you used doesn't fit with whats being advertised. I would have used a more elegant type font. Also more pastel colors, the dark blue at the bottom of the gradient is not nice.
All of this is true right there
From then on downwards its not too bad. Just be careful in the sas sole footware business card the gradient is too extreme. Should look better when its softened up.

I dont know if you made it but the levi strauss & co label is friken cool!
Yea this work is old, when i was still a real junior back at my DTP course, um that Levi i traced from the badge i got from my mates mother.
Then.. the platinum vacation club business card... Why is the text so small? Your going to need a magnifying glass to read it. Very Happy You should also try using a specific color scheme, like complementary colors, contrasting etc. Remember that colors have different emotional effects on people. But I wont go into that. Red to yellow is considered warm, urgent, important. Purple to green are cooler colors. More peaceful and elegant. You should keep that in mind. What are you advertising / promoting, and what colors will go with it.
Understandable and will take that into consideration for the next time.
The matrix review is ok, the numbers in the background just cause too much noise, and i dont really like the soft edges of the screenshots.
The matrix code was cool, i should have made it alot lighter. just enuf to see it. the feature on the pics yea should have done a border maybe. White??
Keep it up. keep working!
WEll now that i am in the place where i can learn alot yea i wont stop, keep sponge off them for ideas and help. Listening is KEY.

Thanks Capanno
capanno

Post by capanno »

The matrix code was cool, i should have made it alot lighter. just enuf to see it. the feature on the pics yea should have done a border maybe. White??
not necessarily. Even without any border it would have looked better. Less is more in this case. plain edges with rounded corners would look pro en clean.

Yeah lighter code would look better.

Something I forgot about, the main logo for Path of New looks kinda eekie. I don't think the gradient looks well at all in that case. The letters are also too fat. You can contract them about 2 pixels. They are hard to read.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Something I forgot about, the main logo for Path of New looks kinda eekie. I don't think the gradient looks well at all in that case. The letters are also too fat. You can contract them about 2 pixels. They are hard to read.
True, yea junior design i must say hey, I agree with that matrix word too fat and not great at all, was trying to get a certain effect, didnt seem to work.

But that work is almost 2years old, back in 2004 December
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Did this today at work, kinda not doing anything, so thought i would try out this tutorial for a glass ball, mine seems ok, i think the newspaper and the ball dont really go together.

The linky:

http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut009.htm

DoOb's
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Nice. Maybe a bit more of a dented shadow? (the ball would warp it a bit)

Pretty cool. Photoshop skillz
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Mikdog wrote:Nice. Maybe a bit more of a dented shadow? (the ball would warp it a bit)

Pretty cool. Photoshop skillz
Yea you right, the tutorial iin a way is straight forward but there are things that as you said would make it look better.

Thx Milkdog
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Doob wrote:Thx Milkdog
Excuse me, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA...

Just saw it and nearly burst out laughing in the office...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

:D:D:D
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

dude good photoshopping there mate!
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Slasher wrote:
Doob wrote:Thx Milkdog
Excuse me, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA...

Just saw it and nearly burst out laughing in the office...
OOps

Didnt see that

MY BAD
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I been called milkdog by a lot of forum users. Milkdog. Why on earth would I be a MILK dog? milkdog? Sounds pretty awesome. Milkdog. Milkdog.

Ha ha ha.

The more I say it, the funnier it is. Milkdog. Hey, milkgod! Here boy!

Ahem

Anyway, post some more pics, N00b.