Windows R00lez!!!1!!11!!!!

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
blikkie

Post by blikkie »

About the G5 being "the fastest computer in the world", I'd like people to read this - in that regard.

http://spl.haxial.com/apple-powermac-G5/
Dakes

Post by Dakes »

Interesting link blikkie. I wonder what Bondi's going to come up with to defend this one. He definitely can't say it's biased, that guy's a self confessed Mac fanboy. I use the term 'fanboy' lightly, of course :D
Brother Hiram, wish you were here!
Thanks Disruptor!
simmy

Post by simmy »

how u like them apples?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post by default »

Macs are pretty but thats where they stop.

they are nothing more than well spec'd mediocrity at its best.

They don't handle all the games out there. they don't make great servers they never seen a mac firewall or dns server. hell TCP/IP was not supported untel about 6 years back. you can't right click. what are Macs exceptionaly good at? besides being expensive.
simmy

Post by simmy »

:evil: bondi = default :twisted:

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Post by default »

:D No way dude im not
Dakes

Post by Dakes »

default wrote::D No way dude im not
You're not what?
Thanks Disruptor!

Post by default »

Dakes wrote:
default wrote::D No way dude im not
You're not what?
not bondi
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

He's not bondi

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Dakes

Post by Dakes »

Simmy, you confused me. How could you suspect default is bondi in disguise? He was speaking out against Macs :?
Thanks Disruptor!
Zero

Post by Zero »

Yes, bondi ain't the tipe to pull such shyte...
The Gentle Giant, the last of his Clan...
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 02 Jun 2004, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

You mean, you actually have to right-click?”
simply...yes :wink:

heres some interesting news
BLURB
As part of a broad technology-sharing agreement, IBM has recently allowed AMD to have access to its copper-interconnect, low-k dielectric, and Silicon-On-Insulator technologies. IBM will also share with AMD its work on 65 nm and 45 nm chipmaking techniques. Since AMD's R&D budget is a small fraction of the amount that IBM devotes to R&D, this appears to be a great deal for AMD. AMD has already moved many of its engineers to IBM's research labs. Rumors are now circulating to the effect that IBM may build a fab for AMD. The rumors hint that this will be a 300 mm, 90 nm and below fab. IBM will supposedly build it and then turn it over to AMD. Although these rumors are intriguing, I find them hard to take seriously. Why would IBM spend billions of dollars on a fab simply to turn it over to AMD? AMD would probably use such a fab to make Opteron/Athlon 64 processors, which would compete with IBM's upcoming POWER5 processors and PowerPC G5 microprocessors. Moreover, given AMD's poor financial situation, AMD would probably be unable to pay even a portion of the multi-billion dollar bill for such a fab. Perhaps IBM will build a fab and then produce Opteron/Athlon 64 processors for AMD? That scenario would make sense if either AMD were having serious yield issues at their Fab 30 plant in Dresden, and/or AMD anticipated being unable to meet demand for Hammer chips. Given that AMD probably can't produce very many .13 micron Opteron/Athlon 64 chips on each wafer, this is probably the most plausible scenario.
Interesting in that this fuels those rumours out there that IBM are going to buy AMD...and i honestly think this would be a good thing :)

its no small feat that IBM managed to produce the AppleG5 chip which whipped the pants off of some Intel and AMD chips.
Reality is the Illusion we all agree upon
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

Howzit bondi.

I have respect for the apple, if it wasn't for the apple, I guess the PC wouldn't be where it was today, no pun intended for the PC users. Seriously! (Thats my opinion, anyway)

The whole reason why people have this perception, which I find in the bsiness world as well, is, well, word of mouth. Seriously, how many Apple bashers out there have actually worked on an Apple .... ???????

Its like this, Pietie said this, but because Pietie said this, so shall it be! And this is the general perception many people in todays world have. Word of mouth is a powerful medium. So and so bought brand washing powder and its #####, so, buddy is not going to buy it either? Any one going to prove me wrong on that? :roll:

If I had the budget, I'd also invest in an Apple, but my dreams are "O" and my budget is "o"... :) Btw, I have worked on an Apple, and found nothing wrong with it, its a powerful applications machine!
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 02 Jun 2004, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

Notice how "intel" is never spelt with a capital letter here. I feel they shouldn't be given that privelige. The privelige that AMD and others (read: IBM) take for granted
never noticed that. I hardly ever type intel with a capital :oops:
Apple and intel is the Microsoft
Interesting comparrison this and i kinda agree

Interestingly in the AMD vs intel wars
AMD always seemed to have a more effecient chip as opposed to intel which i thought were "Brute-Force" sollutions
"The great thing is when you have 5% market share, all you have to do is convince another five out of the other 95% to switch and you have doubled your market share."
:lol:

Bondi im sure youve convinced quite a couple of people to take the time and investigate all those Apple pc's (pc's...well since jobbs started calling the G5 a pc i guess we can too :wink: )
Reality is the Illusion we all agree upon

Post by default »

Right Bondi

No doubt you know you Mac stuff.
Im not saying its a crap product or anything im just saying for the price you pay is it worth it. (home pc wise) A server product is a server product after all it will always be expensive MS MAC or SUN etc.

Mac makes great hardware in my opinion and unlike MS they have tons of passion in what they do.

Now with me there are 2 important things about computers.

1. Games.
I would find the one mouse button a problem. for the simple reason that most FPS games you would use the left button to shoot the middle button to reload the right button to aim and the scroll (middle button) to change weapons. Im sure you could get away from using all those buttons but for someone like me it would be learning how to play all over again.

2. Work / Server environment

We only use MS products when we have to. other than that we use Linux and Unix everywhere else. Unix hardware is not cheap in anyway as we all know. I wonder how they would compare with Mac hardware on the same scale not that I know of a Mac product that would compare with a Sunfire 15K. If there is one let me know.

Linux for games. I know what you mean but it is not a gamers platform.

Lets have a look at OS and what they are good at in MY opinion

Linux - Good for Servers (not best but good for the price :) )
Unix - (sun sco bsd etc) Server sfuff no doubt about it.
Microsoft - Good for desktop workstations and gaming server wise I feel they are lacking but maybe 2003 will change this.
Mac - an all rounder not a bad game box probably not a bad desktop workstation by what I have read up on lately (thanks bondi) probably a capable if not more than capable server platform.

BUT.......

I still feel the desktop mac is over priced for what it is. I don't feel that it is worth what you pay or it. if it was R3k or so more than a PC I would say fine.

Oh and the intel thing probably cause all of the time I have spent on linux boxes I hardly ever use caps for anything. but thats my excuse :)

Oh bondi one thing. How do licences work with Mac's? more so in the server environment.
Tex was taken so Default it is....
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 02 Jun 2004, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

Post by default »

Ah yes the days Of PARC...... Man I miss those time probably the most exciting part of computer history. If only Xerox had the forsite that the people at Parc had they would not be just a copier place :)

Xerox had most of what we have now and they had it first the the 2 Steves from Mac saw this as what it was and what it could become. IIRC it was after the visit to Xerox Parc that contributed to the likes of Lisa (once again IIRC the first GUI Mac and it was names after Steve Jobs' daughter)

Then uncle Bill got involved and screwed Appel and then there was windows in my opinion always kind of been the illegitament child of the OS world :) but in their defence they have gotten much better product wise not sure about tactics though.

Bondi I think maybe we could get to be friends :p

Ok what I mean by overpriced...

Maybe overpriced is not the correct term.
I feel that they are expensive (not that everything else isnt)

this is what I am running now what would a simular spec G5 set me back (not that I have any plans to go out and buy one)

3Ghz P4 800mhz FSB HT enabled
1Gig Ram
Nvidia 4800ti 128M Ram
80Gig Sata
18" Phillps LDC

So you can use any mouse on a Mac? did I understand correctly? so my Logitech MX 700 would work?

oh almost forgot:
I don't think I will change my Avatar Just yet :)
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 02 Jun 2004, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post by default »

Hey Bondi

I would not say we are on the same side but we do however have many of the same points of view. I don't know if I will ever be an apple fan but I do have respect for them, I have respect for most OS's, however you have brought some interesting info to light about mac's that I did not know about.

I must say it has been a refreshing conversation, and yes I am a great believer in Open Source.

The Machine specs you asked about. Well Its a white box made her myself the board and chip is Intel (note the capital I :) ) it was new about 2 months back. at cost from suppliers it was probably about R18K

The avatar well I will have a look
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 02 Jun 2004, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

I'd like to through a stick into the fire for the PC dept. ( I could also be wrong ;) )
Yes, comparing, say, custom-built beige boxes to a Dell is just not the same, is it?
Yes, in a way, it is. The point I want to bring across, is this, no matter what PC you buy, as I have been reading from this forum, is that "Branded PC" or "Custom Built".... all the PCs are custom built, even the branded ones.

In Branded PC, you get Intel CPU, Seagate Hard Drive, nVidia Display Card, Samsung Memory...... So what is branded? The beige box... :twisted:

Everything about Apple is, well, Apple.... :lol: Unless designed for Apple...
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 02 Jun 2004, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

Thanks for that clarification :D

My arguement I want to state, I can take the exact same components and build up and PC, but its not Branded, becaused Brand A did not assemble it. I've also seen branded stuff, where components are not 100% compatible. So I don't see the retained investment.

Another arguement is the X-box, one can be assembled using the same components, but its not an X-box, because its not in the black and green casing.

Hey, I don't want to take you on, or get you angry anyways, the arguements are my thoughts, and how I feel of the market. Each one doing his thing, but the end result will never be like Apple, you get my meaning ;)

I am neither complaining either, as many another technician will agree, when things go wrong, as they always do, we will always have work to keep the roof over our heads :)
I am who I am :D