All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Re: All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

Post by Monty »

I won't be using iCloud, at least for contacts and calendars. I installed the windows icloud app on my sisters windows machine, and it proceeded to have its way with outlook, moving contacts and calendars to new folders and deleting all the contacts and events from the original folder they were in.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

iOS 5 is absolutely worth the download. I downloaded it last night and updated before I went to bed, and played with it today. It's really a great update. I've downloaded the file for my iPad too, but haven't updated that one yet. I'm about to jailbreak my phone too :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: Glad to see you are having fun with the phone DJV :).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Oh I am! So much. Android felt so advanced, so powerful, but using this makes Android feel so, so old.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: Its amazing how we both have different takes. If you are talking about OS being advanced then I might agree with you. Number 5 looks to be very polished, wished I had kept the phone long enough to play with 5...

/Cant wait to see how ICE might improve things...
//Thread needed a Android mention :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So the iPad update at home (including fresh download of the OS) took an hour. Methinks Telkom gave a dud at the office.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Anakha56 wrote::lol: Its amazing how we both have different takes. If you are talking about OS being advanced then I might agree with you. Number 5 looks to be very polished, wished I had kept the phone long enough to play with 5...

/Cant wait to see how ICE might improve things...
//Thread needed a Android mention :P.
Meh, I was using iOS 5 beta since the first one and I don't get the hype. Besides a few small changes to buttons here and there and the blatantly stolen features from Android such as the drop down menu (yet you still can't enable/disable WiFi/Bluetooth etc like Android), Wireless Sync and Cloud Storage, it's exactly how it always was. I disagree with DAE in the way that after using Gingerbread on the GS2 my iPhone felt like a kids toy, and Ice Cream Sandwich looks even better. Apple is fantastic at design and making things pretty, so yeah iOS does have some more polish here and there with their fancy transitions and such, but as a daily phone I find Android so much more powerful and capable at the things I like to do.

I remember just after the iPhone 4 was launched DAE was saying on Facebook that every time he uses iOS he feels Apple is in big trouble because it feels so far behind Android and Windows Phone. How things change. :lol:

Glad you're enjoying the phone DAE, that little fella is getting to see SA big time. On it's 4th owner now. :o
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, it's weird how these things go. iOS felt too simple for me after I got my Desire, but I feel so different about that sort of thing now. I mean, Android is obviously still more complex, and a far better option for the kind of person that wants to tweak stuff all the time, but iOS is just so well put together, you know? There are little details and touches that the Android team still haven't even thought about.

But yeah, we change :P iOS 5 is a fantastic update, and I can't wait to get it on my iPad. I tried last night but I suspect that my jailbreak interfered and now it's bricked :P Hahahaha. But I'll sort that out later :)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote:(yet you still can't enable/disable WiFi/Bluetooth etc like Android)
I've had EXTREMELY limited access to Android on phones, but from my exposure to the Galaxy Tab, these are some of the things I would LOVE to see introduced to iOS. It really is a long way round to enable/disable these things on the iPad/iPhone.

I also agree that there's not a great deal of change. I like the way that iMessage is integrated with the normal messaging, but given that I only know a handful of people with iPhones and probably only regularly communicate with one of them . . .

I must say, with this whole BB debacle this week, for all the improvements I enjoy with the iPhone over my BB, I seriously miss BIS. I capped my 250MB bundle last night and had to top up with another bundle, and it's not even halfway through the month yet. AND I am connected permanently to WiFi at home and at the office! :(
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I find the functional things on my GS2 better, for instance, I'm always sending photos and videos to my laptop and other people over bluetooth or sending a new podcast or music from my laptop to my phone, so simple. Can my iPhone do that? So frustrating. Until recently you couldn't even copy or sync anything to your iPhone unless you had the cable and were at your computer with iTunes and your library on, and even now you can do it wirelessly but still have to be at the PC.

I still love what Apple does with their design, I just wish the ecosystem wasn't so tightly controlled. Next iPhone I care about will be the 5.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

For those of you who don't have Whatsapp, now is a good time to get it, as its free for the moment.

South African iTunes Store Link
US iTunes Store Link
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Of course it would go on sale the day after I bought it...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

aahahahahaha!

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

ryan care to give a snippet of what the vid is about? Cant watch it here at work and seeing "... with over 200 stolen features." in the video still frame has me itching to click play... :P
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Siri means bottom in Japanese - quite apt!
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

It's a parody of the iPhone 4S video, basically saying how they introduce an old chip already used in another product, a slightly better camera and some features stolen from Android and call it revolutionary. Pretty funny.

Here's another good one when you can view.

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Psst. Hey, do you carry a spare Smart Cover around with you? Well, if you're an unscrupulous sort, you can actually use it to bypass the lock screen of any iPad running iOS 5. This multi-step security hole will let you browse whatever's running behind the passcode screen, whether that's email, apps or the homescreen.

More
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Yeah its kinda stupid. Although Google with ICS could say they use a gesture unlock...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Eish, I don't actually know what to say about that patent...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Apple being a <insert expletive here>?

See this is what I dont like about Apple. They are quite happy to steal from others but hate it when it happens to them? Even when evidence shows that someone outside of Apple came up with the idea, it was their idea. Arrogant <expletive>. Also I am pretty sure there were MS phones and other that used slide to unlock earlier then Apple... :evil:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Nah I don't think so. I saw now that Apple filed for the patent in 2005 so nothing wrong with it I guess, as I can't remember any other device doing it before then, and if there was they should've filed a patent for it...

They seem like douche bags, but hey they know how to make money.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

ryanrich wrote:aahahahahaha!

Youtube vid
iLOLLED
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:Nah I don't think so. I saw now that Apple filed for the patent in 2005 so nothing wrong with it I guess, as I can't remember any other device doing it before then, and if there was they should've filed a patent for it...
You are right. I wonder why they filed for a patent twice, with EXACTLY the same wording?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

An iPad a day...

Just a fad... :-P
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot