Latest issue

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

schase wrote:
OnlyOneKenobi wrote:Well, most internet users these days are people who are only now learning to use PC's and technology - those of us who've been around for a while know not to trust everything and everyone you encounter on the Net.
But does someone have to be an advanced PC user to use common sense? Even when I was a complete PC novice I realised when something was a scam. Yes, the longer you use computers the easier it is to spot scams, but some things are just no brainers.
The problem is, a complete n00b doesn't necessarily have common sense when it comes to PC matters. Say for example an 80 yr old tannie from Putsonderwater decides to buy a PC. She finds out about internet banking. She registers with superbank and uses it for a while. Then one day she gets a mail from superbank or whatever, asking for her ID number, PIN number, whatever. She doesn't realise that the mail she got doesn't really come from superbank, but from some scammer and she complies with the mail's request and sends the details, not knowing any better. Voila - she suddenly is cleaned out and wonders how on earth that happened.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Anthropoid21

It is a reality

Post by Anthropoid21 »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote: Say for example an 80 yr old tannie
OnlyOneKenobi - Protector of all that is frail and gentle
All hail All hail.
On a serious note this DOES happen, why do you think IE7 has built in Phishing protection ? It has become a reality - luckily it is not like America where your social security number if life, and yeah I did watch that movie. It's not that far from reality actually :

The jury is still out. However, a recent Gartner survey of 5,000 online buyers found that more than 1 million consumers were scammed out of $925 million in 2004 because of phishing attacks. Think that makes consumers aware of the brands their emails come from? Of course it does.
source: http://etdeliverability.typepad.com/chi ... index.html
rats

Cover DVD

Post by rats »

Has any one had any issues reading the 'double sided' DVD of the latest issue?

I popped mine in last night with great anticipation of checking out some demos but had endless problems reading side 1. Even the menu had trouble running!. I inspected it, but it was as clean as can be with no visual problems. I even try to manually copy one of the demos install files from it with KillCopy, which seemed to work, but I came close to tossing it out of the window after only 8% of the file was copied after more than an hour, with a very annoying “retry” popup moaning from time to time! :evil:

Is it just my bad luck, or is this a common problem? :cry:
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience…
simmy

Re: Cover DVD

Post by simmy »

rats wrote:Has any one had any issues reading the 'double sided' DVD of the latest issue?

no issues or common, but your reader is it 'fit'?

I had a mukked up disc last year, emailed Cameron and he send a new one that worked :D
riaandp

Post by riaandp »

rats wrote:Has any one had any issues reading the 'double sided' DVD of the latest issue?

I popped mine in last night with great anticipation of checking out some demos but had endless problems reading side 1. Even the menu had trouble running!. I inspected it, but it was as clean as can be with no visual problems. I even try to manually copy one of the demos install files from it with KillCopy, which seemed to work, but I came close to tossing it out of the window after only 8% of the file was copied after more than an hour, with a very annoying “retry” popup moaning from time to time! :evil:

Nope, mine works fine!
Core 2 Duo 1.86GHZ : Gigabyte 8I945
2x1GB Corsair DDR2 : 200GB SATA2
Gigabyte 6600TFE 256MB : LITE-ON 20x Lightscribe DVD-RW
Gigabyte Triton Case: AOpen 400 Watt PSU
19" Sony LCD Monitor : Gigabyte Wireless Mouse & Keyboard : Creative 5100 5.1
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

I think it's a PEBKAC problem

:razz:

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
simmy

Post by simmy »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:
I think it's a PEBKAC problem

hehehehe :tellme:
rats

Post by rats »

simmy wrote:no issues or common, but your reader is it 'fit'?
Reader is in perfect condition, used it for other stuff earlier as well as after. So it appears to be just my bad luck after all... :(

And no onlyone, the problem is not originated from the chair.
:P
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience…
Oj

Post by Oj »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:I think it's a PEBKAC problem

PEBKAC? Problem ???? Between Keyboard And Chair? What's the E?
<b>Proud Knight of the Round Table</b>
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

encountered
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

PEBKAC = problem exists between keyboard and chair.

Rats, you must have gotten a faulty disc - I'm sure you can even swap it at the store where you bought it, as long as you still have the slip. That's what I do when I get a coverdisc that doesn't work - then there's no need to wait for snail mail DVD replacment.

maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Ok. I know it as problem encountered between keyboard and chair.

Could also be the dreaded ID(ten)T error
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

ctrl-alt-del wrote:Ok. I know it as problem encountered between keyboard and chair.

Could also be the dreaded ID(ten)T error
HAHAHA!!! I only heard the ID(ten)T one this year when i started MCSE. lol, that's a good one dude.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Mori

Post by Mori »

Wot about EEOC error ???
rats

Post by rats »

I'll give that a try onlyone. A good time as ever to find out exactly how friendly the people at that friendly growser actually are. Now to remember what I did with that slip... :?

And yes, I know that growser is spelled incorrectly. :roll:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Um, What's Patchs?!

Come on guys, Little mistakes like this really aren't acceptable...
Hellfury

Post by Hellfury »

LOL!, sadly the amount of errors is becoming a joke
AMD FX 8120 @4.7Ghz |Antec Kuhler 920 |ASUS Sabertooth 990fx| 16Gb DDR3 1866 Vengeance|GTX 460 1gb |OCZ Vertex 3 60gb (OS) + HyperX 240Gb (Games)|2tb+320gb+250gb(x3)+160gb hdds| CM Silent Pro Gold 1000w| Aerocool Strike X ST| Dell 23" LED LCD |Windows 8 Pro x64
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Is the dvd still dual layer?
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Dual Sided...yes
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hellfury wrote:LOL!, sadly the amount of errors is becoming a joke
It's unbelievable. Last issue was DROWNING in errors.
cYcLIc wrote:Is the dvd still dual layer?
Double sided.
Hellfury

Post by Hellfury »

It never used to be this bad, WHAT happened. Are Intellegence Publishing under hectik stress or something?
AMD FX 8120 @4.7Ghz |Antec Kuhler 920 |ASUS Sabertooth 990fx| 16Gb DDR3 1866 Vengeance|GTX 460 1gb |OCZ Vertex 3 60gb (OS) + HyperX 240Gb (Games)|2tb+320gb+250gb(x3)+160gb hdds| CM Silent Pro Gold 1000w| Aerocool Strike X ST| Dell 23" LED LCD |Windows 8 Pro x64
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hellfury wrote:It never used to be this bad, WHAT happened. Are Intellegence Publishing under hectik stress or something?
Man, i dunno, but the standard of the mag is going to hell.

Come on PCF, pull up your socks.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

And I thought you were playing Source...

I think PCF are getting lazy
Hellfury

Post by Hellfury »

If it continues like this I might have to cancel... my subsription :cry: These careless errors need to stop NOW
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

-=WiK1d=- wrote:And I thought you were playing Source...
I was...
-=WiK1d=- wrote:I think PCF are getting lazy
Me too...

Hellfury wrote:If it continues like this I might have to cancel... my subsription :cry: These careless errors need to stop NOW
Subscription?! I wouldn't take out a subsription to PCF. No offence PCF, you're a good mag, but not good enough (for my liking). I'm more focused on hardware and overclocking, so a mag like CustomPC fits my needs VERY well. PCF is focused on a more BROAD spectrum.