Latest issue

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

the link for the pics of the may model is a dud.

Cameron???

www.pcformat.co.za/maymodel doesn't work
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Moses

Post by Moses »

What a surpirse! The Pub Quiz answers are on the wrong page. Again.
riaandp

Post by riaandp »

The Demo`s Suck...

Isn`t there better ones?
Core 2 Duo 1.86GHZ : Gigabyte 8I945
2x1GB Corsair DDR2 : 200GB SATA2
Gigabyte 6600TFE 256MB : LITE-ON 20x Lightscribe DVD-RW
Gigabyte Triton Case: AOpen 400 Watt PSU
19" Sony LCD Monitor : Gigabyte Wireless Mouse & Keyboard : Creative 5100 5.1
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Moses wrote:What a surpirse! The Pub Quiz answers are on the wrong page. Again.
It is done that way on purpose, the drunk okes in the pub will go to wrong page anyway :!: :)
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

riaandp wrote:The Demo`s Suck...

Isn`t there better ones?
did you play crashday??

it is kickass
riaandp

Post by riaandp »

Nope, sal hom try.

Ek is nie baie mal oor sulke Car Games nie...

Gee my games soos CMR 2005 en Toca Race Driver 3 ens. en ek is happy.
Core 2 Duo 1.86GHZ : Gigabyte 8I945
2x1GB Corsair DDR2 : 200GB SATA2
Gigabyte 6600TFE 256MB : LITE-ON 20x Lightscribe DVD-RW
Gigabyte Triton Case: AOpen 400 Watt PSU
19" Sony LCD Monitor : Gigabyte Wireless Mouse & Keyboard : Creative 5100 5.1
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Hi Walt

In your editor's letter this month you offer "friendly criticism" to those who send you letters "crammed with spelling errors" and with "absolutely no punctuation," and give this as part of the reason they will never be the editor of PC Format, or a similar magazine. Again, in the "CS IS TEH WIN!" SMS you quip, "No. Spelling is teh win." I just got the latest issue of PCF this afternoon, so I haven't read through the entire magazine yet. From what I have read, however, I offer the following:

I. OUTRIGHT ERRORS:

1. Editor's Letter:
"although is seems to becoming a rare thing" (is should be it)

2. Page 10 (Expensive videogames):
"If you think an Alienware PC is an pricey games machine" (an should be a)

3. Page 14 (Game over for HD-DVDs and Blu-ray?):
"software could be blocked form playing future releases" (form should be from)

4. Page 15 (The GPS blow-dart):
"can be more easily esnared" (esnared should be ensnared)

5. Page 19:
"The opportunistic online crim isn't all that far removed" (crim should be crime)

6. Page 20:
a. "online information and communication," (, should be .)
b. "strict enforcement, , problem of online" (two commas?)
c. "a lot of potential disasters.." (two fullstops?)
d. "because we'll begin too see the difference" (too should be to)

7. Page 76 (Gigabyte K8N Pro SLI)
"it's been available since the around October 2005" (what's the doing in that sentence?)

II. DEBATABLE ERRORS:

1. EDITOR'S LETTER: "Never the less" should properly be "nevertheless"
2. STAR LETTER: "a personnel PC" should (I assume) be "a personal PC," in which case "personal" might be dropped (a personal personal computer?)
3. PAGE 12 (WEB WATCH): "the drudgery of every day life" (every day should properly be everyday)
4. PAGE 20: "In the mean time people are left" (mean time should properly be meantime)

III. OTHER MISTAKES:
1. PAGE 64 (McAFEE PERSONAL FIREWALL PLUS 2006): "As the most expensive firewall on review" (R260); but Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro (page 64) is listed as R360 and ZoneAlarm Pro (page 66) is listed as R350, both more expensive than "the most expensive firewall on review."

IV. CONCLUSION
If those who make spelling and punctuation mistakes are not fit for an editor's job, what are you doing in that position? I know that many members here will say I am being pedantic but, in light of the fact that you pointed out others' spelling mistakes, I thought this post was quite relevant.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

schase wrote:Hi Walt

In your editor's letter this month you offer "friendly criticism" to those who send you letters "crammed with spelling errors" and with "absolutely no punctuation," and give this as part of the reason they will never be the editor of PC Format, or a similar magazine. Again, in the "CS IS TEH WIN!" SMS you quip, "No. Spelling is teh win." I just got the latest issue of PCF this afternoon, so I haven't read through the entire magazine yet. From what I have read, however, I offer the following:

I. OUTRIGHT ERRORS:

1. Editor's Letter:
"although is seems to becoming a rare thing" (is should be it)

2. Page 10 (Expensive videogames):
"If you think an Alienware PC is an pricey games machine" (an should be a)

3. Page 14 (Game over for HD-DVDs and Blu-ray?):
"software could be blocked form playing future releases" (form should be from)

4. Page 15 (The GPS blow-dart):
"can be more easily esnared" (esnared should be ensnared)

5. Page 19:
"The opportunistic online crim isn't all that far removed" (crim should be crime)

6. Page 20:
a. "online information and communication," (, should be .)
b. "strict enforcement, , problem of online" (two commas?)
c. "a lot of potential disasters.." (two fullstops?)
d. "because we'll begin too see the difference" (too should be to)

7. Page 76 (Gigabyte K8N Pro SLI)
"it's been available since the around October 2005" (what's the doing in that sentence?)

II. DEBATABLE ERRORS:

1. EDITOR'S LETTER: "Never the less" should properly be "nevertheless"
2. STAR LETTER: "a personnel PC" should (I assume) be "a personal PC," in which case "personal" might be dropped (a personal personal computer?)
3. PAGE 12 (WEB WATCH): "the drudgery of every day life" (every day should properly be everyday)
4. PAGE 20: "In the mean time people are left" (mean time should properly be meantime)

III. OTHER MISTAKES:
1. PAGE 64 (McAFEE PERSONAL FIREWALL PLUS 2006): "As the most expensive firewall on review" (R260); but Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro (page 64) is listed as R360 and ZoneAlarm Pro (page 66) is listed as R350, both more expensive than "the most expensive firewall on review."

IV. CONCLUSION
If those who make spelling and punctuation mistakes are not fit for an editor's job, what are you doing in that position? I know that many members here will say I am being pedantic but, in light of the fact that you pointed out others' spelling mistakes, I thought this post was quite relevant.
8O 8O WOW 8O 8O ...now if that is true that all thoes error are there, then WTF was the editor (Walt) doing? Hmm, maybe he went away on holiday or was he sick? :idea: If so, then there should be someone else to take his place while he is away or he should have it emailed to him and then he can email it back to you guys or what ever...as long as the error get fixed.
:wink:
Some of those errors are unmistakable. Come on Walt, how did that happen? :?: :?: :?:
Last edited by PsyCLown on 28 Apr 2006, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, i'm sorry but errors like that should NEVER appear in a magazine. If i was that guys boss i'd probably fire him because that's just carelessness.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

@ Walt

Glass houses my poor friend, glass houses!

@schase

You have waaay too much time!

:P :lol: :P :lol:

Does anyone have the mag handy? I need the url that appears in the 'gps dart' article.
And obviously my copy's lying at home.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
qace

Post by qace »

Killerbyte wrote

Cameron???

:?: :?: :?:
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

qace wrote:Killerbyte wrote

Cameron???

:?: :?: :?:
I sense that Cammy is working on it. Or will be. :lol:

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

LOL! I was waiting for that! And a well deserved slap on the wrist it is too.

I am not trying to make excuses - that would be pointless - but I felt the need for responding to the comments.

To be perfectly honest, mistakes do creep in... particularly when issues are time strapped, which happens now and then.

A lot of the errors listed are in the licenced content, which shows that others do make mistakes too. In fact, a large number of magazines have mistakes - hell, even books have them, and very blatant ones at times.

I actually take it as a great sign that people get upset when finding errors... and it is excellent motivation to strive to do better in future.

I must note two things about my ed's note comments, though - first of all, they were meant to be light hearted. No-one should have taken them as a personal affront, as schase seems to have done. In fact, I fail to see how he came to the complusion that I implied that someone needs to be perfect to become an editor - I never said as much in the editorial. All I said is that we have a wide variety of people to choose from, and (most importantly) that passion is an important part of the job.

It is not a good thing to have mistakes in the magazine, granted. I will endeavour to minimise them, and ask the team working on the mag to do the same. However, we are mere mortals, ands we do make mistakes. Obviously prisitine examples of godly perfection like schase should be doing this job, as they obviously never make mistakes at all. Perhaps one day someone like that will be the editor here. For now, though, it's me... I am afraid that you'll have to live with it for now.

Now I better go recheck those pages so we don't have a repeat of this.
Oj

Post by Oj »

PsyCLown wrote:Some of thoes error are unmistakable. Come on Walt, how did that happen? :?: :?: :?:
Thoes??? Those error are unmistakable??? Check your spelling and grammar :lol: :roll:

EDIT: Just edited out my mistakes :lol: :lol: :lol:
<b>Proud Knight of the Round Table</b>
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

PsyCLown wrote:
Some of thoes error are unmistakable. Come on Walt, how did that happen?

Thoes??? Those error are unmistakable??? Check your spelling and grammar

EDIT: Just edited out my mistakes
HA! HA! HA! AH! H A!
Oj

Post by Oj »

Mikdog wrote:
PsyCLown wrote:
Some of thoes error are unmistakable. Come on Walt, how did that happen?

Thoes??? Those error are unmistakable??? Check your spelling and grammar

EDIT: Just edited out my mistakes
HA! HA! HA! AH! H A!
HA HA HA HA HA!

But seriously, their are almost more errors than pages in the mag!
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

OK. Noted. I have heard your complaints, and I have heeded them. I will endeavour to improve the situation to the best of my ability. Can we let it damned well rest now please?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ramjet wrote:I must note two things about my ed's note comments, though - first of all, they were meant to be light hearted. No-one should have taken them as a personal affront, as schase seems to have done. In fact, I fail to see how he came to the complusion that I implied that someone needs to be perfect to become an editor - I never said as much in the editorial. All I said is that we have a wide variety of people to choose from, and (most importantly) that passion is an important part of the job.
I wasn't taking it as a personal affront at all. That's why I said that you offered "friendly criticism." I was actualy quite hesitant to make that post. Sorry if I came across in the wrong way; I really wasn't trying to be hypercritical at all.
Ramjet wrote:It is not a good thing to have mistakes in the magazine, granted. I will endeavour to minimise them, and ask the team working on the mag to do the same. However, we are mere mortals, ands we do make mistakes. Obviously prisitine examples of godly perfection like schase should be doing this job, as they obviously never make mistakes at all. Perhaps one day someone like that will be the editor here. For now, though, it's me... I am afraid that you'll have to live with it for now.
Granted, but you must have been really pressed for time this month with so many mistakes on the first few pages. Of course, you probably were since April is such a short month with all the public holidays!
Ramjet wrote:Now I better go recheck those pages so we don't have a repeat of this.
Repeat of the mistakes, or repeat of the criticism? Don't worry, this will be my last post about such mistakes. I was just trying to make a point.
doo_much wrote:@schase

You have waaay too much time!
Actually, that didn't take much time at all. Just picked those mistakes up as I was reading.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ramjet wrote:OK. Noted. I have heard your complaints, and I have heeded them. I will endeavour to improve the situation to the best of my ability. Can we let it damned well rest now please?
Yeah, let's.
Oj

Post by Oj »

I picked up some of them, too. Anyway, next time just start up Word and hit F7. Seems a computer can spell better than you... (JK)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

On a more positive note, I found this month's article about identity theft most fascinating. Never fallen for that stuff myself, but it goes to show how naïve some internet users are! No one ever taught me not to fall for phishing, etc. Most of it is just common sense. But I guess there are those who choose not to exercise the common sense that they have!
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Common sense is a rare thing, apparently. I hear about people who fall for these things more often than I should - than again, it might just be urban myths, or people trying to create a "what a dumbass, we're so much smater than those guys" vibe.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Well, most internet users these days are people who are only now learning to use PC's and technology - those of us who've been around for a while know not to trust everything and everyone you encounter on the Net.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

It really fries my mind, though, how techno-ignorant some people are - and how afraid they can be of it. It's probably just because I can't understand it... technology is something I adore, so I don't get why others don't relate to it.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Same here. Some people can have something explained to them a hundred times, and then a week later they say that their hard-drive is broken, and bring you their monitor :roll: